Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:02 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Reduction in VA payment

Just got a letter from the VA yesterday saying they are screening those of us that get 100% disability due to unemployability for a possible reduction back to our basic underlying rating.

I read it carefully and since one of the criteria for the reduction is drawing a military retirement check, i will likely impacted. I will go from about $3200 a month VA to near $1500. Here we go again. When i first retired my retirement check was reduced by the amount of the VA disability, whereas a two year draftee with the same payment suffered no loss in benefit. Seems like serving 20 years is not thought of all that highly.

Don’t get me wrong, as a taxpayer I realize the country needs to cut where it can so I support this. However, as a beneficiary, I object.

My wife and I will survive this if it comes because we are debt free and have sufficient other income to be ok, but I am sure there will be some not as fortunate as us that will be severely impacted.

When I started receiving the 100% I had not asked for any increase above my 70% nor filed any new claim. I just got a form in the mail which I did not fill out for several weeks not really understanding what it was. One day I filled it out and sent it off. Several months later I got a real surprise in the bank account. Not believing it, I did not spend the money until the payment continued for a few months.

Anyway anyone else get such a letter from the VA?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2019, 07:15 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Doesn't your retirement make up the difference? VA Disability plus Service Retirement should put you back to $3200.00. I believe the Defense Finance Accountibility (DFA) call this Concurrent Receipt, never quite understood the lingo, but you certainly need to be asking some questions.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:25 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzucconi View Post
Doesn't your retirement make up the difference? VA Disability plus Service Retirement should put you back to $3200.00. I believe the Defense Finance Accountibility (DFA) call this Concurrent Receipt, never quite understood the lingo, but you certainly need to be asking some questions.
Many years ago in the early 2000’s the “offset” as it was called was phased out for most of us, so we have been drawing full (earned) retirement and whatever VA disability we qualified for. So the answer is yes we will still have over the $3200 total income monthly. The rest is also income we both earned thru our work as is a full 20 military retirement IMHO.

Again, we will be ok, and as a taxpayer I support the government trying to save money. It just seems that the military is always the first place they look to save. They seem to be targeting those of us over 65 drawing SS. Be patient folks, in a few years we will all be gone anyway.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:57 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
George,
Here's what I've been told by VA concerning UI rating.
Basically, if you have had a VA service-connected disability rating for 5 years or more, the VA must prove your condition has improved on a sustained basis before they can reduce or terminate your disability rating. After 10 years, the VA can only reduce your rating; they cannot terminate it (absent proof of fraud).

Question please:
How long have you been UI rated ?
How old are you now ?
Is your rating SC ?
Thanks
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:26 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
George,
Here's what I've been told by VA concerning UI rating.
Basically, if you have had a VA service-connected disability rating for 5 years or more, the VA must prove your condition has improved on a sustained basis before they can reduce or terminate your disability rating. After 10 years, the VA can only reduce your rating; they cannot terminate it (absent proof of fraud).

Question please:
How long have you been UI rated ?
How old are you now ?
Is your rating SC ?
Thanks
I was awarded UI may, 2010
I am 73
Yes rating is SC
Thanks for help!
Old 02-26-2019, 02:13 PM   #6

My brother in law went through this about 6 or 7 months ago, we had to check him out of the hosipital to drive him across the street to meet with the VA rep about getting his benefits re-instated. I am not sure if he was successful, he died in January. At the time his benefits were cut because he was too healthy, he was he was undergoing chemo-therapy.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:50 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just got the Individual Unemployment (IU) letter in the mail today. It has nothing to do with your medical disability pay from the VA. It concerns the way they are determining your eligibility reporting for IU each year. It is very confusing and does say you will only receive the verification letter process if you have had earned income reported to the SSA. They will no longer send a verification letter to every one receiving IU pay.
Unfortunately it does say that military retirement pay may raise your SSA earned income above the poverty level pay of a single veteran less then 65 years old. and may lower your IU pay.
If this is your situation you will receive further letters from the VA otherwise you will not hear anything from them concerning IU.
I am waiting for further info from them since I receive IU pay and military retirement pay
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:53 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
i now have a clearer understanding of what the letter from the VA means. According to the American Legion rep I spoke with a few days ago it applies to those who have worked in the past year. That is why they are checking with SSA to see if we have earned reportable income this past year. I was told if you have not earned income this past year and do not plan to work this next year you will be OK.

I told her that I was concerned because I get military retirement and that was one of the “triggers” listed. She said they already know you get that, they are looking at any new income. So looks OK for now, but still on guard.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:45 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I’m unfamiliar with IU. I suppose if I had it I would know it.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
IU is a VA acronym for Total Disability rating based on Individual Unemployability. IU allows a veteran to receive compensation at a 100% disability rate from the VA when their service connected disabilities do not total 100%. In can be temp or permanent depending on how stable the SC disability is.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:30 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
UI rating? What's that?

I am a 59 year old retired Navy veteran with an 80% Compensable VA disability (I fought for 15 years for it too!). I worked for the federal government for 19-1/2 years before having back surgery in 2017 and neck surgery in 2018. I haven't worked since 1/31/2018. I was approved for Social Security Disability (1st try) and Disability Retirement from work. I applied for Individual Unemployability. No Go! Although I am still rated at 80%, they increased rating for my neck and decreased the rating for my back! I know of no employment that I can perform without further injuring my back or neck. I do not claim PTSD or any other unverifiable condition.

I am not hurting financially at all. It's the principle of the thing. My injuries were a result of active duty. Despite the pain and discomfort, I attempted to work until I could comfortably retire, but couldn't make it. I have dealt with many veterans who have UI and work under the table. Many have claimed unverifiable conditions. Don't get me wrong! PTSD is a real problem for many veterans, both combat and non-combat veterans!

I will either appeal this VA decision, or I will apply again! It's more a Quality of Life Issue!
covered.wago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:28 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am still concerned about the VA wanting to reduce IU payments to deserving veterans. They have tried to eliminate the program entirely but couldn't get Congress to change the benefit. All the Veteran Organizations fought for the Veteran who collects IU because why reduce benefits of one Veteran to pay another Veteran. Pay them both! VA wants to reduce IU pay to have more funds to pay other Veterans. This was all explained on the DAV web site a few months ago.
Now they are using this IU letter to scare us.
The letter states "A Veteran with a earned income above the POVERTY LEVEL OF A SINGE VETERAN AGE 65 OR LESS will lose their IU payment. They are saying Military Retirement pay is Earned income in this letter. It it is Not earned income according to the Social Security Administration. If it was then SS tax would be withheld from Military retirement. If you get this IU letter contact or join a veteran organization to let them know what is going on. They will fight for your earned benefit. I am a lifetime ember of DAV.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote