Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 04:22 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Creating a crisis !!!!!

When there really is a LOT more to do than that !
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2021, 04:42 PM   #16

Losers and traitors. And a lot of them absolutely sucked as commanders anyway. Why glorify that? If the north had locked up every officer above a lieutenant for several years following the war, we probably wouldn't be continuing to deal with the problems of the past.

This isn't "erasing" history. You can still find out about Braxton Bragg online and at the library.

"Bragg is generally considered among the worst generals of the Civil War. Most of the battles in which he engaged ended in defeat. Bragg was extremely unpopular with both the men and the officers of his command, who criticized him for numerous perceived faults, including poor battlefield strategy, a quick temper, and overzealous discipline. Bragg has a generally poor reputation with historians, though some point towards the failures of Bragg's subordinates, especially Leonidas Polk—a close ally of Jefferson Davis and known enemy of Bragg—as more significant factors in the many Confederate defeats at Bragg's command. The losses which Bragg suffered are cited as principal factors in the ultimate defeat of the Confederacy."

So why would you want the home of some of the most elite units in the US armed forces to pay homage to that loser?
Old 01-30-2021, 09:40 PM   #17

I spent half my career at Bragg. I'm proud to call it Fort Bragg and proud of its heritage. Changing the name would be an insult to me and thousands of others. [Mod Edit]
Old 01-31-2021, 06:29 AM   #18
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Thread Warning

A couple of political posts have been removed. Please keep the politics out of this discussion. Thanks to those posting within the rules..
Old 01-31-2021, 07:09 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
OK I guess my point in a different more touchy-feely response is be careful what you wish for. Your thinking/thoughts/history could be cancelled. It is what it is. History. What you do today may fall out of favor in the future. That does not mean it should be cancelled out. I do not agree with renaming bases, removing statues, revising history books. It happened and it is history. Was it right? Maybe and maybe not. We can't erase history.

[Mod Edit] Sometimes it is uncomfortable.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:12 AM   #20

Sad but elections have consequences. They will be renaming the city’s next. How can we have a capital named Washington? Thank god we are still able to use our RVs. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 01-31-2021, 08:27 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Why do they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
The US was one of the last major powers to engage in slavery, and then was one of the most powerful forces working to stop it worldwide.

It's still practiced across many parts of the world, and not by the racial lines one might expect.

"Original sin." How many countries need to build walls to keep people OUT?
I have worked in fields picking crops with migrant workers. It does make one wonder how bad things must be where they came from. I didn't see anyone from Norway.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:43 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fort Richard Winters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
I, for one, disagree with the attempt to erase my military history by renaming several of the posts where I served. Yes, these posts were named after Confederate generals but that had nothing to do with how I think of where I served. Where does this end?
I think naming a base after someone who served honorably and was a true hero is the right thing to do. My vote for Fort Benning would be Fort
Winters after Richard Winters. Of course I may be biased in that he was born about two blocks away from me.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:56 AM   #23

They can call Ft. Leonard Woods, Ft. Jackson, and Ft. Benjamin Harris anything they want. My memories of going through basic training and AIT will not change. My service had nothing to do with what they called those particular bases - I was not beholden to them or the people they were named after. The oath I took when I enlisted was not to a base or to a general, it was to the Constitution of the USA.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
Old 01-31-2021, 09:01 AM   #24
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Thread Closed

Folks, this thread is being closed. This is an RVing forum and not a political one. Thanks to those that stayed within the rules.
Closed Thread