Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 11:11 PM   #1

Renaming Forts Bragg, Benning, Hood,Rucker, Lee and others

I, for one, disagree with the attempt to erase my military history by renaming several of the posts where I served. Yes, these posts were named after Confederate generals but that had nothing to do with how I think of where I served. Where does this end?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2021, 11:44 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
To the victor belongs the spoils....

This narrative is in full force right now, not much anyone that disagrees can do. Vote, be as active as possible in defense of what you believe.

I would venture that most who hear the names would know who they were, beyond the most famous (Lee/ Picket etc.)

Those times were complicated, the people involved were complicated, and the impacts were deep. I don't agree with measuring historical times or people with modern standards. Changing names or hiding history won't change what happened. I do understand that there is a significant population that still remains disenfranchised by retaining these types of visible reminders.

I don't think there is a solution that satisfies both diametrically apposed factions.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:07 AM   #3

On the one hand:
I lived in a small town in KY for some time. My brother ended up moving out there next to us. He got a kick out of the "locals" giving directions using "the old Lowes building" as a reference point. It was confusing because it was now a bank main office and he didn't understand why is wasn't called by it's current name.
So we lived there a few years and Walmart built a new super center. One day we were talking and he referenced "the old Walmart building". Then he paused, thought about it, and we laughed. Because he had only known about the building as Walmart, that is what he called it.

On the other hand:
This year a fellow wanted to join our jeep group, The discussion came up about him flying the Confederate flag on his jeep and if we wanted that in our group. I lived in NJ the first 30 years of my life and he was from NY. In my life's experience I had always heard it and still reference it as a "rebel" flag. Referencing those who rebelled against the US government and wanted to sussed from the union. Yes aware of the slavery aspect, but that was not the intent. We were from a northern state and as one of the victor states, have a different point of view than the folks raised here in NC. He wasn't promoting racism, but rather his dissatisfaction with the current government, and reminding them what can happen if they don't tighten up. Wanting to rebel. However we no longer live "up north" and the vast majority of folks here wouldn't understand that.

Names of places, things and symbols can mean different things to different people depending on their background. Question as a society is how far do we go to accommodate others? What kind of a world will the "theybies" be raised in?
Old 01-30-2021, 05:08 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a reason

There is a reason the names were used. It was as much to deliver a divisive message as to honor those names. The original sin of the US lives on an may yet destroy us.

"Although the Confederate battle flag is the most popular and widely recognized symbol reminiscent of the Confederate States of America (CSA), it was never used as the official flag of the CSA. It was proposed, however, but rejected. It was only used as a battle flag during the Civil War.

The modern display of the Confederate battle flag began as a response to the civil rights movement and the passage of federal civil right laws in 1950s and 1960s. The battle flag is closely associated with white nationalist and white supremacist movements, some of which celebrate the Lost Cause of the Confederacy." Wikipedia.
Old 01-30-2021, 05:11 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
So much effort going into something that changes nothing. Our history is what it is. That cannot be changed despite the numerous re-writes that have occurred and will occur in the future.
Old 01-30-2021, 05:38 AM   #6

I was stationed at Fort Bragg and did not realize it was named after a confederate general until I saw the proposed name change. Such a waste of time and money. Maybe some day our elected officials will do something worth while to the general public.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:02 AM   #7

Glory hounds. That is all they are and what it's about. "Look what I did!" I heard a great explanation of this a couple of days ago on the radio. It was not about this topic, but it was about the ideology.

Some people are just searching for their life to have meaning. What can I do or stand for that will bring me the satisfaction that my life has or had a purpose? Just because you have an internet connection and can participate in polls and blogs most of your day does not make you a game changer.....

While changing the name of a military base will probably do just about 0.001% of good towards I guess the rampant systematic failures within this country.

There will be a lot of people feeling really good about themselves because they believe a name change will turn this country completely around. And they were there for it and believed it would.....

So have at it.....
Old 01-30-2021, 06:13 AM   #8

Every little bit helps, IMO. The irony of naming US military bases for traitors seems to be lost on some....
Old 01-30-2021, 10:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Every little bit helps, IMO. The irony of naming US military bases for traitors seems to be lost on some....
How were they traitors? Secession wasn't against the Constitution at the time. The Supreme Court declared secession unconstitutional in 1869. The Union declared a blockade, held prisoner exchanges, used flags of truce, etc. All considered acts, at the time, that were only rendered to legitimate recognized countries. Furthermore, they weren't even able to charge Jefferson Davis himself with treason after holding him for 2 years.

I did my time honorably at multiple Army posts. I'll never recognize new politically correct names as legitimate, to please those that likely never served a day. I am not alone.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
So much effort going into something that changes nothing. Our history is what it is. That cannot be changed despite the numerous re-writes that have occurred and will occur in the future.
AGREE^^^^^^^^

But it gets Headlines and "Look what I did" photo ops

Next on the agenda ....'renaming streets' as soon as the 'New' 20 Dollar Bill hits circulation
Old 01-30-2021, 11:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbuckwalter View Post
The original sin of the US lives on an may yet destroy us.
The US was one of the last major powers to engage in slavery, and then was one of the most powerful forces working to stop it worldwide.

It's still practiced across many parts of the world, and not by the racial lines one might expect.

"Original sin." How many countries need to build walls to keep people OUT?

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Old 01-30-2021, 03:05 PM   #12

Have the rest of the really big issues been solved or brushed aside that we are looking to reopen old wounds?

Let's focus on issues that could have big impact now.

Just my viewpoint from the cheap seats in the peanut gallery.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:17 PM   #13

...most people don't even know who fought in the civil war--so thoughts of an intelligent conversation on this and like issues are long passed.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 01-30-2021, 04:11 PM   #14

Agree. There are current things that some think could be improved. Maybe so, but you can't rewrite history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
Closed Thread