Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-12-2020, 12:44 PM   #1

RV with firearms

I did a search for information on this, within the group. I came up with two links and both were outdated. Any one know what the current rules are if you stay at a "on base RV camp ground".
Fleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2020, 12:50 PM   #2

Almost every military base requires all private firearms be checked in with the security police/armory. It's no problem, just a bit of a hassle to take your weapons to the armory and get a receipt. This is the main rule for almost all bases. Some have said "no weapons at all". Of course, there are also a few exceptions if you have a hunting permit for on base.

When you take your weapons to the armory, be sure they are unloaded, chamber open, and they don't want your ammo.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:51 PM   #3

I did a quick check of the two facilities close to me in NE FL.

NAS Jacksonville RV park states that firearms must be checked into the Base Amory.

Camp Blanding (FLNG) states that firearms must be registered at the gate with the MPs and may be kept at your RV.

I think the answer is "it depends." I'd recommend checking the web pages for each site. I use RV Trip Wizard and they have a link to the campgrounds website. And of course call to confirm.

Don
ML2109S32043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:06 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
The problem we ran into is some base armories had a time limit on how long they would hold firearm if you were not active duty PCS living in base quarters.

We had reservations in famcamp for 90 days and armory would only hold firearm for 30 days.

i can tell you from seeing 1st hand what happens if you bring one on base and get caught. Security police surrounded RV with weapons drawn had occupants on ground till they had the guys firearm in hand. Can impound vehicle as well.

Don't ask....don't tell can bite you in the axx

Navy famcamp we snowbird at had guest commit suicide with hand gun in RV. Command was not happy.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:15 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
It makes no sense to prohibit firearms from places where everybody entering has to have an ID and the majority of the folks stationed there are trained in the use of firearms.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
It makes no sense to prohibit firearms from places where everybody entering has to have an ID and the majority of the folks stationed there are trained in the use of firearms.
You are a 'visitor' vs assigned/stationed there
Different rules apply to visitors
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 03:20 PM   #7

Quote:
In my limited experience, few people are allowed to be armed on military bases, except for military security personnel (MPs or Security Troops or SPs, etc.).
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Even AD personnel must store their private arms in an armory if they live on-base.
Remember the FT. Hood massacre?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:35 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
...Remember the FT. Hood massacre?...
Yep, sure do, and had some of the combat arms type GIs been armed, there would not have been near the number of deaths of innocent people.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:50 PM   #10

This is somewhat off-topic but related to RV travel with firearms. RVers and the 4th Amendment
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 11-20-2020, 04:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
You are a 'visitor' vs assigned/stationed there
Different rules apply to visitors
I've always found it strange that the government takes your rights away on government property. What good is our constitution if the rights given to you can be taken away simply because of where you are?
to-camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:39 PM   #12

Like it or not it is not a Constitutional violation. If you drive into a military base you and your vehicle can be searched arrested or seized under the National defence act of 19 something forgot the act number and that warning usually is posted at the gate prior to you entering when you sign in. To start with government property is restricted due to it's mission as is with all federal property as need be. Also understand that retired Law Enforcement Officers who have been formally trained to cary and conceal a firearm could not cary in all states until the passage of HR 218 and they are also restricted from loading a firearm on Federal Property, courts and schools... After that being passed out Congress and Senate also passed the same for themselves. Is our Congress and Senate that well trained After all they can have private security assigned to them and paid for by the U.S. Tax Payer and all of that has nothing to do under our Consution. Under the HR 218 law passage a Federal LEO can not carry on any aircraft and if the have a firearms them it must be locked in a special container placed in baggage the is place in the baggage compartment. That is not a violation of the Constitutions 2nd Admendant
Piper K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by to-camp View Post
I've always found it strange that the government takes your rights away on government property. What good is our constitution if the rights given to you can be taken away simply because of where you are?

You don't have the "right" to be on a military installation, just like you don't have a "right" to be in my house or me have a "right" to be in yours. You are a guest on that military installation and as such you are required to abide by the rules and regulations the government sees fit to impose. If you don't like it you do in fact have a right to leave, or not enter in the first place.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
You don't have the "right" to be on a military installation, just like you don't have a "right" to be in my house or me have a "right" to be in yours. You are a guest on that military installation and as such you are required to abide by the rules and regulations the government sees fit to impose. If you don't like it you do in fact have a right to leave, or not enter in the first place.
We are admitted at the whim of the installation commander.

Tags
fire, rear