Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #1

Space A Flights

Now that I've retired, I'm toying around the idea of taking advantage of Space A flights to Europe.

I'd like to know if anyone has taken these flights and the good and bad about them. Seems to be a great benny for retirees and their dependents.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #2

It's an awesome benefit. Just don't have a schedule that you have to follow. I will post a link later when I get home.
VetRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #3

Here's the promised link. Air Mobility Command - AMC Travel
Old 08-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #4

Thank you so much for the link! We are here at the Charleston AFB FamCamp and visited the passenger terminal yesterday. Sadly, it was manned by a young airman who couldn't tell us much about the program.

Your link gave us a lot of answers to questions we had.

Thanks again!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #5

Us retired folks are on the bottom of the totem pole for space-A. My SGM (both of us retired) travels space-A all over the world. His first rule of traveling is to make sure you have enough money to stay at a motel for those multi-day layovers, and to fly commercial when a flight is cancelled for your next leg.
Todays planes are nothing like the old days of sitting in a web seat, it's like flying on commercial planes most of the time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I have used space A before to visit Germany but that was 20 years ago. Back then you could buy a book at the exchange with a list of times for regular scheduled flights (subject to change at any moment). I have tried to find anything like that at the exchange or on-line but no-joy.

Is this something they stopped doing because or 911?

How do I find out when flights are coming and going to Europe for planning purposes? Like a month or more in advance. I looked at the AMC website no-joy there unless I am missing the correct link. My eyesight is not what it used to be
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #7

Pick your closest point of departure across the pond, there are only a couple. Call them and then figure out how to get there.

Most bases have restrictions on long-term parking so ask about that too.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #8

Our son was in the USN, posted to Yukosaka. He tried SA back to Seattle for a 10-day leave. He was bumped off the original flight (non-stop to McChord) by an AF Colonel. The alternative was Japan to Anchorage and on to McChord.

He phoned from Anchorage and said the flight had been re-routed to Hawaii, but there was another one to McChord in a couple of hours. That went to California instead. He finally called and said he'd got a ride into SFO and was coming to SEA on Alaska Air. He burned off two days of his leave chasing around on SA flights.

When his leave was over, he flew SEA to TYO on Northwest!

BTW, this was about 15 years ago, things might be better now?
Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have traveled Space A with my family to Europe. I was also a crewmember on C-141 and C-5 aircraft carrying Space A passengers. I will give you a few pointers from both perspectives. Why not take advantage of the benefit you earned it. My kids still talk about our Space A adventures today. First tip military aircraft are designed to carry cargo not people plan accordingly. I spent a lot of time on those web seats in the C-141 and can remember being in a T-shirt while the guy next to me was in a heavy jacket trying to stay warm. Never could figure out the airflow on a C-141. I guess there was a reason it was called the Tube of Pain. Lucky for you it was retired around 2005. Be flexible and ask questions. Going over and returning stick to AMC bases the availability of flights are greater. Traditional AMC bases on the east coast are McGuire AFB, Dover AFB, Andrews AFB, and Charleston AFB. One hidden gem was Stewart ANGB north of NYC they use to have a Space A desk manned by military retirees. You were always guaranteed to get on because they had C-5s with 75 airline seats on the upper deck. If able go with the C-5 the seats are the most comfortable. Keep in mind Stewart recently transitioned to C-17 aircraft. If you can make contact with the crew. The crew is always looking for food and most larger passenger terminals have some type of snack shop. Don’t be a pain just introduce yourself let them know you are trying to get on their flight and ask how it looks. I was an aircraft commander and felt good helping other military members out. First thing I did at the airplane was give the loadmasters a heads up Space As were trying to get on. It doesn’t hurt and most crewmembers will look out for you. I always asked prior to engine start if the Space As made it on. If the answer was no I would call the Command Post and tell them we were waiting for the Space As and would start engines as soon as they were on. The AMC system isn’t the friendliest so when I could make a difference that was positive I did. I still remember the huge smile of an 8 year old Space A we let sit in the cockpit for landing. The best way to use the system is to fly on a military contract carrier. These are B-747, B-777, B-767 aircraft with flight attendants, movies, and food. The military contracts them out from the airlines to move people. We have taken several of these flights and the service was always outstanding. You can catch these flights going to Europe out of Baltimore Washington Airport (BWI), which has an AMC terminal. Most reservations and sign ups can all be done on line. To find out more about BWI just go to Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst - BWI Passenger Terminal. Bottom line be flexible if you really have to be somewhere buy a ticket. If you have time on your hands and like adventure give Space A try. Have fun!!

2008 Honda Pilot/Racked out with Old Town Kayaks
Slapshottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #10

Slapshottr, You ever fly any Banner Missions????
Larry 1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #11

Here is aweb site that will help you. I have traveled a lot on space A. Pretty easy for one not so much for a couple.
Try this Peppard.com
Busyguy
busyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #12

Sorry but I screwed up. The web site is Dirk Pepperd.com/space A
Give it a try
Busyguy
busyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Larry,

You bet on the Banner Missions what squadron were you in?

2008 Honda Pilot/Racked out with Old Town Kayaks
Slapshottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #14

Slapshottr, I retired from the US Secret Service, 24 yrs. in the Protective Vehicles Div. you guys carried us "EVERYWHERE"..
Larry 1190 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights