Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #1

USAA Auto and 5er ins.

I have just received a quote for auto insurance from USAA that is half of my current rate. The numbers look good but DW is concerned about no having local reps. We are also looking at a 5er and truck in the near future does USAA still ins. this type of rv? What has been your experience when you have a claim?
Jim-in-Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
USAA Auto and 5er ins.

I have had USAA for 40 plus years, and i think it is oneof the best. They do not insure RV's, boats or motorcycles. They will transfer you to Progressive, where you will get a USAA-Progressive quote that is less than just calling Progressive. I have GMAC for the motorhome, and even tho I have had two claims (windows) they are good. One note on Progressive. I (not trying to push policies) do not care for ACLU policies, and the head of Progressive donates alot, I mean alot of money to them. I may switch my cycle and boat insurance from them.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-in-Hope View Post
I have just received a quote for auto insurance from USAA that is half of my current rate. The numbers look good but DW is concerned about no having local reps. We are also looking at a 5er and truck in the near future does USAA still ins. this type of rv? What has been your experience when you have a claim?
I have been a USAA member for over 40 years. They are outstanding.. My MH is insured with GMAC, was progressive but I dumped them for some issues that were connected to ACLU.
With GMAC I have had two claims, one when a post at wal-mart jumped out and bit me, the other for roof damage due to hail and weather. Good service both times and (crossing my fingers) my rates have not yet gone up.

I got my GMAC through Good Sam
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-in-Hope View Post
I hate to show my age but I am very close to 60 years with USAA.

They have insured both of my RVs over last 21 years as my current DSDP was insured in 1999 before they started handing off to Progressive.

I had a large claim after damage from tire blowout on my old gasser and involved changing gray water take and shower and they covered it very well with no problem. They have claims nationwide so you don't have to worry.

I also have my towing with them as add on to policy on all vehicles and they paid a large towing on RV with no problems.

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #5

I have had USAA since '84. They insured my MH and just about 2 months ago, picked up my 5er. Maybe they don't take everyone. ????

Chet
beekeeper.va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Jim: I've been with Usaa since the 60's, good rates and never a problem on claims. House, cars, and motorhome. (GEICO has better rates on my motorcycle.) Never had a problem with policy changes or getting info over the phone and they have local adjusters for any claims.
MH was hit by lightning shortly after I bought it, adjuster was at the dealer the next day and approved the claim.

Hope this helps...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:11 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
It's great to feel young again. I've been with them for only 32 years...

Their service and treatment of me has been such that I have never even considered going with anyone else. I might be able to find a cheaper policy somewhere, but I'm not giving up USAA's service, even though I must say they are not the same company I first went with in '79.

I recently bought my MH and got insured through Progressive. No claims thus far, and I certainly hope it stays that way.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
I am a USAA loan customer and like there loan programs(and have been there for several years), just remember their RV insurance program is Progressive insurance and you get what you pay for. There are many unhappy customers out there for Progressive USAA insurance(I am one of them ) just do a search.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #9

I have been with USAA since 1980. NEVER had a problem with a claim/billing/loan. The RV has been with them since 2005. I was unaware the ins. is through progressive--all billing is USAA, claims through USAA, the ins. card even says USAA on it. I can wholeheartedly recommend them from my experience. My motorcycles are through progressive. The one claim I had went very smoothly and was settled without any hassles and satisfactorily.
DrScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I am also a happy USAA insured. Everything is insured through them. I bought my MH in 2004 and it has been insured with them since day one. We are not full timers, that may be why others end up with Progressive through USAA. I had one claim with them and an adjuster came out to the house the following day.
One more tidbit, I was told by another Insurance Agent, that USAA is the only Company that settled all the claims from Katrina and the other one that hit Florida with their insureds. When Allstate would not maintain my earthquake coverage a few years back I went with USAA who not only covered Quake damage but actually did it for less then Allstate and I had been with them for 25 years.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
USAA will insure some RVs and boats, it's all based on the cost of the item to be insured. I had a 5th wheel insured by USAA, but when we went to a MH, they referred me to Progressive. I have Progressive now, but will be changing companies at renewal. Google/bing Progressive's chairman, Peter Lewis, to see why. USAA is made up mostly of military members...active, retired, NG, USAR, etc. Mr. Lewis supports causes directly opposite what USAA represents. I have also written USAA.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
USAA for 40+ Years. They had Foremost before going to Progressive so I lucked out. Try calling Foremost ans see if they will accept you if you are a USAA member. A lot cheaper than the other.
Don't concern yourself about local Reps. They do a great job on claims and the adjustors are #1
Old 10-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #13

My daughter and son-in-law do all their insurance, banking, and home loan through USAA. When their house burned down last January USAA took first class care of them. I'm switching to USAA because of the way their claim was handled.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting....USAA would not insure my RV (trailer or MH). dick
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote