Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:25 AM   #1

We've been satisfied customers of USAA for years using their brokerage, banking, and insurance services. But, maybe for an RV it is a different story. Does anyone use USAA to insure or finance their 5th Wheel or MH? How about insuring their car that is being towed?

With auto insurance, they have always been the lowest no matter what state we've been in. Has anyone found a different story insuring their RV unit?
wahlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2008, 05:25 AM   #2

We've been satisfied customers of USAA for years using their brokerage, banking, and insurance services. But, maybe for an RV it is a different story. Does anyone use USAA to insure or finance their 5th Wheel or MH? How about insuring their car that is being towed?

With auto insurance, they have always been the lowest no matter what state we've been in. Has anyone found a different story insuring their RV unit?
wahlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:07 AM   #3

I am not sure about the current process for insuring an RV. I insured mine some 9 years ago but have heard they now 'send' the RV insurance to another company. Maybe someone can comment on this. I have had a couple of claims which were paid promptly. One was damage from a tire blowout and took out my grey water tank. USAA was great in working with dealer and covered every bit of the bill.

But I have had all my vehicles insured with them since 1952.

In 1990 I got my first RV and bought road towing insurance from a company. I had two bad experiences and decided I would just use the $9 per vehicle add on with USAA for this. It has worked fine. I have had two tows in the $300 range and they reimbursed me promptly. I like the option of arranging my own tow or emergency call service on the road. This is very easy as you can fine the local support by calling a truck stop, engine and chassis manufacturer hot line, or local police.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wahlfamily:

With auto insurance, they have always been the lowest no matter what state we've been in. Has anyone found a different story insuring their RV unit? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:08 AM   #4

I have used USAA for of my financial and insurance needs for nearly 30 years. For my motorhomes, I have gotten much better coverage at a lower price from Progressive. Progressive understands RVs better and has replacement cost coverage for the first five years whereas USAA is standard "whatever the value is" insurance. I would certainly see what they will do, but I was very well satisfied with Progressive both sales and a small glass claim.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
We had our first coach, a smaller gas unit insured with USAA. It was pretty clear that they looked at it as an automobile. When we bought the DP, we went with Gilbert because we wanted real RV insurance on a rig of this size, value and complexity. The house and cars remain with USAA.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:33 AM   #6

I've been with USAA for 40 years - I had a two year lapse due to employer coverage but when I went back to USAA I even got my old member number back.

When I contacted USAA about RV coverage, I was referred to Progressive. USAA quoted the coverage but made it clear that Progressive would be the carrier; USAA the broker. Progressive quoted full coverage at just a few dollars different. When we traded the 27' Winnie for a new Damon Challenger 377 last January, Progessive worked out the new coverage and credits with no hassles.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:21 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
I financed my M/H with USAA and also the insurance, They use Progressive and Foremost. The cost is right and so far good service. I too am a 42 year member
Old 04-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> When I contacted USAA about RV coverage, I was referred to Progressive </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Few years ago USAA didn't do this so I went direct to Progressive. Glad to hear this because tomorrow I'm trading MH's so I'll find out if there is special pricing for USAA members.

Proud to have been a USAA member since 1974.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:26 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
USAA has a subscribers savings account and usually there is a yearly rebate which also can be applied to future premiums-- therefor reducing your overall cost by(for me)about 25%.

I also have full comprehensive coverage as these motorhome windshields are hugh rock magnets. I also carry the million dollar liability coverage-- most other companies don't offer this. My premiums are significantly lower than other quotes I've received and as I said, they don't offer the million dollar liability coverage

I've been with USAA for 52 years and they cover all my vehicles and my stick home.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:42 AM   #10

I've had USAA auto insurance since 1978 and have always had a positive experience with them, but...

When we went full-time in 2004, we insured our new Class A with USAA. It took a bit of explaining for the agent to "get" the concept of what we were going to do. Then, for the next 18 months, whenever I spoke with an agent I had to go through the explanation all over again and in each case, was told that they would "have to take this to the underwriters to see if it was allowed." Each time, I was left wondering if I really had the right insurance and finally decided they were institutionally clueless about RVs and full-timing. We switched to GMAC. Since then, no worries.

We still insure our auto with USAA and will probably never switch. But as another poster points out, they think an RV is just a large auto. I'd go elsewhere.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:55 AM   #11

USAA no longer insures motor homes, I found this out when I changed coaches in early '07.
My '01 was covered by USAA and guess I was grandfathered until I changed coaches. When I got a new coach and called them, they informed they no longer handled motor homes and referred me to Progressive. They acted as agent.
I retained USAA for ALL my other coverages.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Al,
You've got me there, just renewed last month on current coach, third one. Go figure---------

Maybe talk to a different Rep next time you call in, probably USAA's one biggest weakness, the individual Rep's knowledge.

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We've been members with USAA for almost 40 years, think they are a great company and utilize many of their services. They insured us through Progressive for our 2007 motorhome. When we purchased our 2008 we were again curious about the insurance cost and while at the FMCA rally in Pomona, asked AON Insurance to price various options. We again insured with Progressive, but with a different agent. And at better coverage. It seems the USAA/Progressive agent did not ask the same questions, specifically about full-timing or not.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:46 AM   #14

Ruppr,

Had I renewed my coverage on my previous MH USAA would have continued coverage, but as I said I CHANGED vehicles and they do not cover new vehicles. I'm sure you are grandfathered on your current coach, but if you change they will not cover the new one.

I have not had any problem with thew telephone reps once I accurately explain what I want they are extremely knowledgeable.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote