Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #1

USS Saratoga CV-60 (88-92)

I was on the USS Saratoga CV-60 during Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm. Air Department, V1 Division. During our Gulf War deployment, I worked in Flight Deck Control, aka EleOps because we ran the Deck Edge Aircraft Elevators. Among other things, we spotted aircraft movement on the flight deck and called it down to FDC so they could see where aircraft were at any one time.

For the cruise I bought a VHS Camcorder. My particular job gave me a lot of opportunities to film. I waited many years for technology to catch up so I could transfer my videos to digital before the magnetic tapes were ruined. I uploaded them all to YouTube, so if anyone is interested, feel free to have a look. There are some interesting things like an E2C Hawkeye crash on deck (taken from the PLAT camera and not my own). SEALs fast roping (one breaking his leg). Suez canal transit, steel picnics, taking Harriers back…

You can find them all at The Danger Zone.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMb...SGdbDOsrifeTzA
xraymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2019, 10:13 AM   #2

I too, was in the "sewage canal" at the same time. But I had previously transited it numerous times. (Eisenhower battle group)
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for sharing
Old 04-18-2019, 08:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by markandkim View Post
I too, was in the "sewage canal" at the same time. But I had previously transited it numerous times. (Eisenhower battle group)
We made 6 transits during our one deployment.
xraymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:14 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Took me back to CAG 5 in the 60's on the Big E......thanks for puttin them up
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:42 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I was stationed at Iraklion AS on Crete in the mid 70s, Iraklion had about 500 active duty and another 500-600 dependents. The Navy had a few sailors stationed at Souda Bay, a NATO port on the other end of the island. I think it was the home of a missile range in the Eastern Med. US ships would stop by, mostly smaller warships, and the crew would come over and shop at our facilities. Once, the USS Midway came by and about 5000 people came ashore over a few days. They wiped out our base exchange and commissary. It looked like locust has visited the cornfield. It took a week to restock the commissary and some dependents were really pissed. The base exchange wasn't back to normal for a month.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:20 AM   #7

Been to Souda Bay Crete many times in the late 80's early 90's. We had a NATO ammo dump there.

There was no base "real" there at that time.

Great diving too.
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:52 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by markandkim View Post
Been to Souda Bay Crete many times in the late 80's early 90's. We had a NATO ammo dump there.

There was no base "real" there at that time.

Great diving too.
I don't think there was much of a base there in the 70s either. The Navy had one building, two or three stories that was the barracks, chow hall, admin and all. When they came to Iraklion, they used a small bus so there weren't many people there full time. We tried to get them involved in intramural sports at one time, but they didn't have enough interested people to fill a softball or football team.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:45 PM   #9

Yasu, i was stationed at Souda bay, for 2 years it was a communications detachment that supported ships in the MED and we also supported air squardrons for navy and air force. 93 95. One of the navys best kept secret.
Bush, Powell, and Shartzkoff, all came to visit us on fine day. I miss the great food and all the islands, Prior to Souda i was on the USNS NEOSHO TAO 143, was in Shapr Edge, Desert Shield, Desert Storm. Food, Fuel, Stores for all the battle groups. now i am trying to get my rig on the road in the near future, Coachman 21qb freelander 2016. Just cleaned out the antifreeze yesterday but i forgot the positions of my waterheater valves as i was turning knobs and not thinking. so that is the reason i came on here was to hopefully get some help. Peace to all
Seawitch62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:01 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
USS Saratoga CV-60 you know the ranger cv-61 was the best carrier for sheild storm southern watch and then operation restore hope. but then the dixon as-37 was the best sub tender and the harpers ferry lsd-49 the best lsd
Old 05-25-2019, 07:11 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fast attack repair ship

USS Vulcan AR5 known as the LOVE BOAT to most or Building 5. Spent most of the time in the Red Sea in and out of Hurgada, Egypt during Desert Storm. Possibly the worst Ship I ever served on. WW2 era ship built with rivets. Love Boat because it was the first ship with women stationed on it.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:50 PM   #12

Was on Saratoga from 1972 to 1974. Saw her in Rhode Island next to Forrestal with their mast down. Both are razor blades now. Sad, Never seen her so quiet. Kind of looking at a ghost from the past. Too bad they couldn't save her for a museum. This was in 2000 at Narraganzet. Spent a few line periods in Tonkin Gulf with lots of action with all the Carriers operating there.
Xerox is offline   Reply With Quote