Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #1

VA disability and Social Security

Think this was mentioned here so here it goes
If you are recieving disability from service connected problems rated at 100% can you file for social security benefits . Ok next part of the ? If you can file for social security because your rated at 100 % do you get your full amount of social security or is it rated taken out dollar for dollar ??
Usnret05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Yes you can file for both, whether you are 100% service connected or not. You can receive both.
You still have to jump thru all the hoops for both. Even if you are 100% service connected, unemployable for the VA does not guarentee that you will get Social Security.
Not sure about getting the full amount but I was told yes by one of them and cannot remember which one said it.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Yes you can file for both, whether you are 100% service connected or not. You can receive both.
You still have to jump thru all the hoops for both. Even if you are 100% service connected, unemployable for the VA does not guarentee that you will get Social Security.
Not sure about getting the full amount but I was told yes by one of them and cannot remember which one said it.

what he said
i am 100% broken with the VA
social security denied me and I quote " The VA rating does not reflect a 100% ssi rating, so your claim is denied"
they went on to say that just because your rated 100% with one agency doesn't mean they will.
that was two years ago...I am refiling again next month as I am pretty much worse by a long shot.
i think being 46 years young has a lot to do with it, never mind i have been shot at and cut with a knife, smacked the ground a few times in a whirlybird, been knocked around from heavy rolls. walked on hostile soil, shot at on hostile soil, shot back, left. i would do it again in a minute
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #4

Just re-apply for SS. It takes time. Be sure to state in your paperwork how your activities of daily living are affected. Can remember how to take meds, unable to dress or bathe due to poor balance etc.
Krashqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #5

Your VA rating doesn't have any affect on Social Security claims. SS has their own process. However, your VA medical records will be helpful in proving your case to Social Security. Good luck and be patient.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was told SS will deny the first claim just to see if you will go away. APPEAL and keep going it took me 4 years to get thru ALL the hoops.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used my VA records when I applied for SS. They accepted them, sent me to their dr. and I was granted my SS the first time..I was found disabled by the VA and if I had taken the check from them which was 600 give or take difference between what my SS is, the SS would only pay the difference between what the VA would pay and what my SS bennys were..If that makes any sense.. In my case I could not draw full amounts from both....good luck..
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
VA SS

Each case can result in different decisions. At 62, filed for SS disability. Was granted based on work history, and disability claimed. Nothing was redundant vs the VA. Fought with VA for 4+ years, was rated 80% plus 20 unemployable. receiving both, no deductions from either. I believe that being 62 was a benifit, and would not have the same result if alot younger. Vietnam and Desert Storm vet. Keep fighting!!!!
Old 01-28-2012, 05:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATMANAR View Post
I used my VA records when I applied for SS. They accepted them, sent me to their dr. and I was granted my SS the first time..I was found disabled by the VA and if I had taken the check from them which was 600 give or take difference between what my SS is, the SS would only pay the difference between what the VA would pay and what my SS bennys were..If that makes any sense.. In my case I could not draw full amounts from both....good luck..
You should talk to someone at the DAV or any other veteran group about your situation. It sounds like someone misled you because you can most definitely draw full amounts from SS and VA disability.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
you guys give me hope

got a busy week coming up now.

I sure could use some extra traveling $$
i mean living help, dont think DW would approve of a visiting person giving me a bath just yet
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:49 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
i think being 46 years young has a lot to do with it, never mind i have been shot at and cut with a knife, smacked the ground a few times in a whirlybird, been knocked around from heavy rolls. walked on hostile soil, shot at on hostile soil, shot back, left. i would do it again in a minute
I like your style!
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlcal View Post
You should talk to someone at the DAV or any other veteran group about your situation. It sounds like someone misled you because you can most definitely draw full amounts from SS and VA disability.
I am only 20% service connected that might be the difference. When i was first disabled they were the first to show me 100 disabled and then I went to the SS..I guess I need to follow up on this..thanks..
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quick answer is YES. It's just odd how things turn out in life. I retired from the Army in 1998 and was able to get a DAC job in 2003. During the in- between time, in 2001, had a massive heart attack with 5 bypasses.

Fast forward, was advised by people who worked with me, in 2005, to look into heart problem connection with military medical records. Low & below, I had serious heart problems while on active duty, but was never advised that the condition existed. Anyway, filed for VA comp and after years of battling them, with DAV's help, was rated at 100%. While going through the VA process, had a second heart attack while working as a DAC. It was determined that the stress & previous problems caused the 2nd heart attack, and it was determined that my health problems prevented me from working for the Federal government. So, they forced me to retire early under the Federal Government's disability plan. The plan also REQUIRED that I file for SS Disability. [I guess because there is an offset with these two plans!]. Anyway, approved for SS at first application.

So, here is how it turned out:
Full Military Retirement Pay - NO offsets
Full 100% VA Pay - NO offsets
Federal Employees Retirement System [disability] - offset w/SS$
Social Security Disability - NO offsets & $$$ does not decrease at age
62. [will not receive regular SS$ at 62 - but SS disability $$ is a lot
more than regular SS$]
Old 01-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I'm rated 40% disabled by the VA so I receive the 40% benefit. I had 44 quarters under SS so I draw the full allowable amount from SS. I had 30 years under CSA so I receive full retirement from CSA. I had to fight for 3 years to get my military retirement but I receive CRSC for those years. Nothing is reduced by the other. So stay the course and don't let up. They will relent eventually just to get you off their backs.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disabled