Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:39 PM   #1

VA medical coverage

So I have a question that no one seems to be able to answer, Having served in the Air Force for 8 years I have been trying to get medical coverage. however the VA has given a couple different reasons every time. Many of my friends that have separated from the service have received benefits for no reason that they can explain. I have been told to keep trying that sooner or later the squeaking wheel gets the grease. Frankly when I separated I was under the impression that only the career guys got the coverage, yet so many I talk to are not even close. Some were only in for 1 term, im just so unclear as to the parameters they have to determine who is or is not eligible.
rikadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2020, 09:48 PM   #2

VA medical facilities/coverage is supposed to be to help veterans with service related injuries/conditions/problems. 20 years ago the bean counters figured the facilities were being under utilized so they agreed to treat all vetrans on a space available basis and if the veteran had other coverage, like Medicare or Tricare, they could collect that money.

Of course that pendulum swung too far the other way which resulted in many VA facilities having too much workload and consequently we got the VA horror stories I'm sure you heard about. So now it is much more difficult for a veteran without service related issues to be accepted into a VA medical facility for treatment on a space available basis.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:01 PM   #3

When you separated, you should have attended Transition Assistance Program, (TAPs) class. This is a requirement before separation. They should have explained that your medical records would be evaluated for a disability rating. If you don't have medical coverage, you were likely healthy when you were discharged. Some people work the system to get disability they are not entitled to. The legal term would be malingering and is a punishable offense.
Raider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:31 AM   #4

Without a documented service connected medical condition, VA medical coverage is determined by other evaluations.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Without a documented service connected medical condition, VA medical coverage is determined by other evaluations.
https://www.va.gov/health-care/eligi...iority-groups/
Old 01-15-2020, 03:50 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm going through a goat rope with the VA currently. The latter part of '18 my kidneys started failing and I ended up on dialysis by February 2019. The VA has done all my kidney workups but still getting the runaround. I go in for the C&P next week and taking more secondary info with me including all the monthly labs hopefull to prove my claim.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:10 PM   #7

I have a VA card and although I don't use it I was under the impression that everyone was eligible or maybe it just for all Vietnam vets because of agent orange.

Hope it works out for you.
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Buckshot View Post
I have a VA card and although I don't use it I was under the impression that everyone was eligible or maybe it just for all Vietnam vets because of agent orange.

Hope it works out for you.
https://www.va.gov/health-care/eligi...iority-groups/
Old 03-14-2020, 06:14 PM   #9

When you apply for VA Health Care you complete a 10-10 EZ form, fill it out completely and Fax the completed form along with a copy of your DD214 the VA hospital you want to use. I am a VSO in Chadron NE and I fax my vets 10-10EZ to the Black Hills VA Hospital. There are currently 8 tiers for classification for VA Healthcare, tiers 7 & 8 are not eligible at this time. You probably make too much money, that is the most common reason for denial. You can print off a copy of the 10-10EZ from va.gov. The other way to do it is make an appointment with your local VSO and he/she will help you file.
Sam93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:30 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam93 View Post
When you apply for VA Health Care you complete a 10-10 EZ form, fill it out completely and Fax the completed form along with a copy of your DD214 the VA hospital you want to use. I am a VSO in Chadron NE and I fax my vets 10-10EZ to the Black Hills VA Hospital. There are currently 8 tiers for classification for VA Healthcare, tiers 7 & 8 are not eligible at this time. You probably make too much money, that is the most common reason for denial. You can print off a copy of the 10-10EZ from va.gov. The other way to do it is make an appointment with your local VSO and he/she will help you file.
Thanks for posting this form information!!!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:40 PM   #11

I just went to a VA Hospital/Medical Center and went to the 'Eligibility Office' where they took my info, had me fill out forms and then I had to provide a copy of recent Tax Return.
Done..........originally assigned to Priority Group 8 due to 'Income' (2009)

Couple years ago C&P ----30% Service Connected Disability. Reassigned to Priority Group 2

VA Medical.....although sometimes cumbersome (one needs to be PROACTIVE) has been a GREAT coverage.
Primary Doctor spends 'as much time as needed' to address problems/issues/concerns.

Blood Lab always has provided a space for me when dealing with my blood thinning meds and tests needed.........especially when INR is fluctuating (measure of blood level---too thick/too thin)
Rx refilled via on-line requests and mailed to me...typically with a few days of request.

As with any large organization one needs to understand the requirements in order to become eligible for coverage.
The LINKS posted are good starting places...........or go in person and meet with Eligibility Office staff.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:52 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I found the VA system very difficult to get into. Very difficult to figure out the process and who to talk to. I finally got an intermediary, the DAV, to help me and be my advocate in the process. Much better than trying to do it yourself. Once in, the VA care has been surprisingly good, but again, any changes in your care or needs are very difficult to process. Once done, it is great again. So, good luck and keep trying. ps. I have been given a 100% disability from issues related to Vietnam...and I still had/have these difficulties.
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:49 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If you are 65 or over, use Medicare....much easier and no hassle.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:21 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Medicare is okay - but it still costs you money. If one can get a disability rating from the VA then health care is free of charge, and the disability check they send you is tax-free - you don't have to declare it on your taxes.

Tags
cover