Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:56 AM   #15

Are you retired from the military??
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #16

No I am not. Just served my 6 years.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Piper View Post
I think you were given wrong information or confused information. if you were in the US Military you are entitled to enroll in for and are entitled to medical treatment. If you have a service connected disability you are entitled to free health care for that disability. Fore that free health care you need to file a claim with the VA for that disability and for any secondary conditions from that disability. If you do not have a service connected disability you still entitled to health care from the VA. That's the law or part of it but there is a catch to it. The catch is the health care might not be free because you fall in a category where you will be charged a copay for the service and or prescriptions given. This is done by and determined by submitting s means test. Also be advised you can apply or sign up with the VA on what is called MY HealthE Vet. This can be done online, in person and NOW by telephone. Try a free service organization like the American Legion,the VFW, the Catholic War Veterans or the DAV , which I am a CSO (Chapter Service Officer trained to assist the Veterans filing and submitting) the forms needed by the VA. I hope this helps! K9Piper
That's not necessarily true. In 2003 our all knowing congress passed a new law saying if you make too much money, I believe around $35,000, you are not eligible to sign up for VA coverage unless you have a service connected disability. Even then you'll be paying a copay for non service connected treatment.
Bottom line if you make too much money and no disability no VA.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:31 AM   #18

101st ,67-70 VA healthcare

You can still qualify for VA healthcare if your income is below a certain level .When you retire see if you qualify then as your income is usually lower . Don't go to the VA to check it out. Set up an appointment with a State Veterans advocate or a Service Rep from the Disabled American Veterans , or VFW , American Legion . They will let you know if you qualify. If you qualify Medicare will be your primary and VA will be your secondary Ins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
My question is when AND how do you sign up for Veterans health insurance? I currently have a good job with insurance, but we are planning for retirement in about 3 years. (hopefully) I just know how long the government takes to process things. I'd "like" to quit work at 62 , (we'll see) but that means I'll have 3 years till I can get Medicade. Unless I keep my VA. I just contacted the local county VA advisor, and he said I cannot signup now because I make too much money... Thats fine,,, I just want to get things done one step at a time... Idea's ??? Oh ya,, I was full time but not combat, no disabilities, (well,,,) etc... 1976-1982 ... Thanks very much.
Monkey
PS, I have spent time looking at the VA website... grrrrr
johnff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:42 AM   #19

Find a Veteran Service Officer (like myself) in your area to help you. You can apply for Health Care Benefits online at VA.Gov then find ebenefits. Do not file a claim for disability by yourself, seek representation from a service org like the VFW, American Legion or DAV.
Scott2027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #20

Go into any VA Hospital and sign up they will do a means test, if service connected disabled no co-pay, if not depends on how much you make. They will explain it to you.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:02 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
I'm unclear about your reference to VA insurance. The VA does not pay for medical care outside of their facilities unless
1) its an emergency and the civilian facility must verify that the VA concurs you are better off where you are
2 ) the VA refers you for care to a civilian facility for services that they cannot provide
I am assuming that you are not retired. Are you indicating that you are already enrolled n the VA with a service connected disability?
Ron, There is a second way the VA allows approved vets to get non-emergency care out side the VA system. And thats the Veterans Choice Program. Been around as a stop gap measure to CYA the VA since the deaths for lack of appointments back a couple yrs ago. Basically the approved vet has to meet either one of two points. Live more then 40 miles from VA facility, or VA appointment wait is longer then 30 days.
I live 8 miles from a VA clinic, that could not provide the Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (for rated service connected wound) that the VA clinic Dr. said I needed. I was denied that treatment under the Vet Choice Program as I lived within 40 miles of VA clinic that was telling the VA they didn't have the means for treatment. Being Medicare and TCFL I got the treatment outside VA under my insurance, at $1700 a day (M-F) for 12 weeks. Then low and behold, a yr later, I get a letter from VA telling me cause I live more the 40 miles for VA. I can get the treatment.
Be aware this Vets Choice Program was to be only funded for a limited time. As I said a stop gap program to take the heat off The VA. Due to my experience I felt it was a smoke screen PR deal anyway. But I guess it actually worked for some vets as posted here in past.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:25 AM   #22

As a combat wounded veteran with a lot of experience with Veterans and the VA I have observed that many Veterans who were not in combat don't feel deserving of all the benefits they are entitled . I have a couple of near deaf Navy friends who I had to push hard to get them to go to a service rep and file a claim for Tinnitus and hearing loss . They both were awarded 10% for the Tinnitus . If you get any % even a zero percentage you will be able to enroll in VA healthcare , plus get a small check every month .
johnff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:08 AM   #23

To confuse things more, from 2005 through 2013 I made over$70k with insurance. VA charged my insurance and I did not have to pay co pay. Now retired $28k and no insurance pay copayment. Do visit VA Hospital for services. I have used Sepulveda, CA, Santa Barbara clinic, Reno, NV and Prescott, AZ hospitals.
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:28 PM   #24

monkey did you check out the VA?
Best place to start is with a County VA REP. or that's the way I did it here in NC.
If your state don't utilize County reps. Go directly to a LOCAL VA HOSPITAL/ CLINIC and meet with the Eligibility office folks.
maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:35 PM   #25

I put off going for years, until my sweetheart of a wife, and her Vietnam Vet brother finally talked me into going. I was placed at 70 % disability initially, and last August was reevaluated and bumped to 100%. I'm sure we were told we weren't eligible for any medical when I processed out in 90. I could have been going to the VA for years.
Like my wife, and B-I-L said to me the worst they can do is say no !
Old 08-09-2016, 12:18 AM   #26

monkey....

VA Medical
I thought that it was only for current/retired military personnel and I always had Medical Insurance via employment.
When I retired from work in 2003 I checked into it but the VA had stopped enrolling Priority Group 8 (high income)
Then in 2009 new regulations went into effect with increased funding so I enrolled.
Meet the 'Means Test' and was placed in Priority Group 8......non-service connected with co-pay requirement.
I have used VA Med since.

Here is a Information Guide published by Veterans Affairs Medical Center (Texas).
One of the better guides I have seen.......but still needs to be read slowly to fully understand

http://docplayer.net/18442612-Enroll...-veterans.html

Information via phone
For additional information or to get your eligibility questions answered, please call the MEDVAMC VA Eligibility and Enrollment Office at (713) 794-7288, Monday through Friday8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m

Still finding current info on 'Means Test' is difficult.........so call above number or call regional office in Arkansas

Arkansas State Department of Veterans Affairs, Room 119, 501-370-3820

Health Benefits Explorer.........have you used this?
Health Benefits Explorer - Military Service Questions

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #27

Good luck Monkey !
Old 08-10-2016, 11:16 PM   #28

I signed up for the VA here is California. At the time I wasn't working. I served 77-83. I checked my eligibility and I was told I had full benifits. I was admitted into the ICU for a possible stroke. I spent 3 days and numerous test. Nothing found. I used them in CA as well as Boston. I know some years afer I got out they changed the rules. I am covered I I know for sure you are to. Check with your local VFW post. They know the system well. Do be afraid. You are entitled to this benifit. Also if and when you do get you card. Have them do a baseline medical test. They will go over you like a fine tooth comb. Blood test, X-rays etc. Good luck and thanks for your service too!

Brian F Woodson ET1/SS
USS Parche SSN683 78-83
cowrv39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance