Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:58 AM   #1

VA medical insurance?

My question is when AND how do you sign up for Veterans health insurance? I currently have a good job with insurance, but we are planning for retirement in about 3 years. (hopefully) I just know how long the government takes to process things. I'd "like" to quit work at 62 , (we'll see) but that means I'll have 3 years till I can get Medicade. Unless I keep my VA. I just contacted the local county VA advisor, and he said I cannot signup now because I make too much money... Thats fine,,, I just want to get things done one step at a time... Idea's ??? Oh ya,, I was full time but not combat, no disabilities, (well,,,) etc... 1976-1982 ... Thanks very much.
Monkey
PS, I have spent time looking at the VA website... grrrrr
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 08:29 AM   #2

I am not aware of any military-related health insurance for former members who are not retired or disabled. You should be eligible for Medicare at age 65. Each state runs their own Medicaid program, so you would need to go directly to your state for that.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #3

Maybe I phrased that wrong... My Army brother gets medical health benefits at the VA in TX...
Old 05-25-2016, 09:35 AM   #4

Contact your local American Legion or DAV.. DAV was a huge help for me to get in the VA system..
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #5

You need to call or go to your local VA. There are a couple forms to fill out. One does have financial questions. Once that is processed verifying that you are an eligible Vet you will be notified to come and get your VA card. There is no age requirement and the sooner you are in the system the better.
Do not allow anyone to state you don't qualify based on money..without doing this
Depending on when you left the service you may have received a letter stating the VA had revised your medical records. Hopefully you kept it. It will list anything that was considered service connected.
Otherwise find your local Vets organization such as DAV, American Legion etc. Most also have an office in your local VA facility who will walk you thru the entire process
Once you have your card you simple make a medical appt.
Are you retired from service? If so you will qualify for Tricare for Life once you are 65
Best benefit going
Ron only uses the VA for hearing aides but since he has a disability rating now he must see them once a year. Otherwise we use our own family practioner
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:47 AM   #6

VA medical insurance?

X2 on the DAV. Their reps have an encyclopedic knowledge of the benefits system. They helped me immensely. I am a life member.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
You need to call or go to your local VA. There are a couple forms to fill out. One does have financial questions. Once that is processed verifying that you are an eligible Vet you will be notified to come and get your VA card. There is no age requirement and the sooner you are in the system the better.
Do not allow anyone to state you don't qualify based on money..without doing this
Depending on when you left the service you may have received a letter stating the VA had revised your medical records. Hopefully you kept it. It will list anything that was considered service connected.
Otherwise find your local Vets organization such as DAV, American Legion etc. Most also have an office in your local VA facility who will walk you thru the entire process
Once you have your card you simple make a medical appt.
Are you retired from service? If so you will qualify for Tricare for Life once you are 65
Best benefit going
Ron only uses the VA for hearing aides but since he has a disability rating now he must see them once a year. Otherwise we use our own family practioner
Is an annual visit required? I'm new at this , have disability and the "
insurance" buy currently use my policy I have thru work
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:00 PM   #8

If you receive benefits because of a disability, an annual exam is required.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 05-25-2016, 04:23 PM   #9

I'm unclear about your reference to VA insurance. The VA does not pay for medical care outside of their facilities unless
1) its an emergency and the civilian facility must verify that the VA concurs you are better off where you are
2 ) the VA refers you for care to a civilian facility for services that they cannot provide
I am assuming that you are not retired. Are you indicating that you are already enrolled n the VA with a service connected disability?
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #10

I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm just looking at bridging the gap between work health care (insurance) and when I can get medicare. Thankyou for the info. Its been very helpful !!!
Old 05-25-2016, 06:02 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I signed up on line on the VA website. Had to do it two times, first time I was turned down because I had too much money coming in. Now I just call for an appointment, usually takes a few weeks to get one. My closest VA hospital just shut down their Emergency room and told Vets to go to local hospital for emergencies. Does not mean that they will pay for it.

Good luck and be persistant
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:13 AM   #12

I think you were given wrong information or confused information. if you were in the US Military you are entitled to enroll in for and are entitled to medical treatment. If you have a service connected disability you are entitled to free health care for that disability. Fore that free health care you need to file a claim with the VA for that disability and for any secondary conditions from that disability. If you do not have a service connected disability you still entitled to health care from the VA. That's the law or part of it but there is a catch to it. The catch is the health care might not be free because you fall in a category where you will be charged a copay for the service and or prescriptions given. This is done by and determined by submitting s means test. Also be advised you can apply or sign up with the VA on what is called MY HealthE Vet. This can be done online, in person and NOW by telephone. Try a free service organization like the American Legion,the VFW, the Catholic War Veterans or the DAV , which I am a CSO (Chapter Service Officer trained to assist the Veterans filing and submitting) the forms needed by the VA. I hope this helps! K9Piper
K9Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm just looking at bridging the gap between work health care (insurance) and when I can get medicare. Thankyou for the info. Its been very helpful !!!
As a potential retiree from your current work, will you be able to carry your existing insurance into retirement? Also, people on Medicare find they need to have a supplemental plan to cover expenses Medicare does not cover.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
As a potential retiree from your current work, will you be able to carry your existing insurance into retirement? Also, people on Medicare find they need to have a supplemental plan to cover expenses Medicare does not cover.
I can continue the insurance, but it is crazy expensive (Cobra) so that is out. We thought its better to start looking at options early. I thankyou again for all the good responses .

Monkey

Tags
insurance