Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:18 PM   #43

Thor Owners Club
Yes, Taj, it's a pretty well-kept secret. That's why I shared it here. No one told me about it either. Sure am sorry to hear you got the run-around.

It's frustrating to me so few Vets know about this stuff.

Take this link to check out the program.

FWIW, You'll always be welcome to move back to CA.

Some of the State Campgrounds, especially along the coast, are absolutely spectacular. We spent the week before last at this one. It's about 1/2 hour north of Santa Barbara.

Biscuit, I totally agree these programs ought to be for ALL Vets, not just state residents.
woodbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2019, 08:25 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
So what discount does CA state campgrounds give to active duty personnel ?
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:17 PM   #45

Thor Owners Club
Someone can correct me, skypilot, but far as I know this program applies only to CA residents with 50% plus VA rating.

And yes, Taj, we stayed there for a week for $7.99 total.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:42 PM   #46

Thor Owners Club
I'll post what is common knowledge, apparently, but has come to my attention only since I started this thread.

Starting Jan 1, a Veteran with ANY VA rating is eligible to have base privileges including MWR. Up until then, it takes a 100% rating.

This link spells it out.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:22 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbender View Post
Yes, Taj,
FWIW, You'll always be welcome to move back to CA.
Not a snowball's chance in hell will you find me back there anytime soon, if ever! Thanks
TajMahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:50 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club

I too departed southern Ca, never to return.

"In 2015, California saw a net gain of some 177,000 immigrants moving to the state and 105,000 residents leaving, according to data from the Finance Department. Between July 2017 and July 2018, however, out-migration surged to about 160,000 people."
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:14 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post

I too departed southern Ca, never to return.

"In 2015, California saw a net gain of some 177,000 immigrants moving to the state and 105,000 residents leaving, according to data from the Finance Department. Between July 2017 and July 2018, however, out-migration surged to about 160,000 people."

Left CA in April 2007.......visited twice but only for 2 weeks total.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:09 PM   #50

Military discounts

Been in the army for 3 years. Now I am retired. Signed up with DAV and they refused me . Making too much money in retirement. Trying to get some discount, and everyone says 50% disable. I’m not disable. How can I get some discount like fishing license, park discounts ? Anybody having the problem I have?
Mhom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:18 PM   #51

Forest River Owners Club
I cant get a VA card because have to many assets. Retired in 1975. when first applied in 2012 they still had me on active duty.?????
dunk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:19 PM   #52

In keeping with the original message

This is especially for VietNam Vets. The VA recognizes that no matter where you served in VietNam, it is presumed that you were exposed to Agent Orange. This means that any disease related to exposure to Agent Orange will be presumed to be caused by that exposure. There are quite a few diseases in that category, probably with diabetes being the most prevalent. And there are other diseases that are related to diabetes, and would then be considered as Service Connected.
Faraway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #53

VA Rating

I have a hearing disability, don't know where my "award" letter is, but it shows up every first of the month in my checking account; would that suffice in place of the letter to prove a disability? Mostly interested in the camping benefit.
Dennistimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
When I went thru the transition/retirement process in 2006, one of the presentations we received was from the VA. The guy spouted off a litany of ailments that the VA would compensate for. I was quite taken aback at how the “system” works. Aside from combat injuries, they do basically compensate you for growing old.

I don’t hold it against anyone for taking advantage of what is legal and sanctioned by the government. However, the system is in need of reform...badly. Same for social security. All of these programs began with noble goals but have morphed over time into something that only vaguely resembles their original intent.
Thank you - same experience 2003, retiring, some fat clown boasting that he was 100 percent disabled and was playing golf later. Pissed me off and told him I would be skipping that part. Have friends missing limbs and in beds that fall into "disabled". Pissed me off then and still does. He treated it like a game or lottery and that is what gives the system such a stigma. Reform is so in need, oversight in particular.

Note for full disclosure - 12 yrs after retirement as a business owner, I attempting to get some govt contracts, I did not have a chance as a small business but found I could be certified as a "Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business" which allows my company to be more competitive for state and govt work.

I went through the 1-year process and logged my "disabilities". Dr. Visits, interviews, and piles of paperwork in order to be certified. The process was lengthy and did not seem too susceptible to fraud from my standpoint. Each body part or issue has a percentage attached, if your totals reach 50%, you receive cash payments each month as well. Note, there is no "backpay".

I did it solely for the benefit of my company and employees. Like others, please do not "thank" me for my service. I served for my reasons and I thank my country for giving me the opportunities it has.

If you are disabled, then the taxpayers owe you both in respect and assistance. It could be financial, services or programs. It should not be called a benefit, it is not earned, and it is not free. It is the USA and its taxpayers adhering to its end of an implicit contract. Made in exchange for your acceptance, and willingness to abuse your body and mind, get blown up, shot at, and willingly function in environments where OSHA is nonexistant adn not a player.

I will leave it at that.
Oldcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:54 PM   #55

VA Disability Compensation is based on % and single/married/dependents

VA Disability Compenstation starts at 10%

https://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSA...ces_comp01.asp
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:59 PM   #56

va

All vets. Should look into tier benefits. I lost a lung to agent orange. I did what my country asked of me. If you have health problems, as many of us do. You should take advantage of your benefits. And the camp grounds are nice. my wife and i go to them.

REMEMBER. SOME GAVE SOME. SOME GAVE ALL.
gordonjmcc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, camping, military