Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:09 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
VA System is BROKE

We've been telling folks that for years -- listen to your 'Veterans' ! You can't support the growing veteran demand on a system that has basically remained unchanged for decades. Band-Aid fixes have been applied since WWII to no avail -- the "system" is antiquated and hiring additional employees without fixing the root problems will not solve the problem.(IMO)
VA system should start over, official says

By Rick Maze - Staff writer
Posted : Friday Mar 19, 2010 13:04:16 EDT
Baling wire and bandages can’t save the veterans disability claims process, the Veterans Affairs Department’s chief technology officer said Thursday at a roundtable discussion about ways to cut the growing backlog of claims and improve accuracy.
“In my judgment, it cannot be fixed,” said Peter Levin. “We need to build a new system, and that is exactly what we are going to do.”
Levin’s comments came at a meeting organized by the House Veterans’ Affairs Committee to toss around ideas for repairing a system that has a backlog of about 1.1 million claims awaiting decisions and an error rate of 17 percent to 25 percent, depending on who is counting.
Rep. Bob Filner, D-Calif., the committee chairman, described the system as an “insult to veterans” who wait an average of six months for a initial decision on benefits and can wait for years if the decision is appealed.
“It looks like we are going backwards rather than forward,” Filner said. “No matter how much we raise the budget, no matter how many people we hire, the backlog seems to get bigger. People die before their claim is adjudicated. They lose their home. They lose their car.”
Overhauling the disability claims process is the top priority of veterans groups and the Obama administration, but there is no agreement on exactly what to do.
The short-term solution proposed by the administration is what VA Secretary Eric Shinseki has called the “brute force” option: hiring more people to process claims. But because fully training new workers takes two years or longer, and the total number of claims received by VA is increasing, hiring more people is not expected to improve the process for three to five years, said Dan Bertoni, director of disability issues for the Government Accountability Office.
VA is working on a number of pilot projects that might lead to a new way to process claims, by reducing steps and moving to a fully electronic record system. But the system remains so complex that an easy fix is elusive — which is why Levin talked about starting over.
Veterans group, however, are not ready to blow up the system and start over. In a joint letter dated March 17 to veterans’ committee members, major veterans groups say they are unaware of any “magic bullet” solution or alternative system to the current problems, but they support changes to the current system.
They are pushing the idea of providing quick disability benefits — in 60 days or less — to veterans with disabilities that can be “easily or quickly resolved,” which would include those scientifically linked to military service, orthopedic conditions and hearing loss.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
ya its broken so lets just lie down and get qbama care
NO THANKS
tn cruiser
a disabled vet who is satisfied with VA
Old 03-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
ya its broken so lets just lie down and get qbama care
NO THANKS
tn cruiser
a disabled vet who is satisfied with VA
Not my point at all 'tn cruiser' -- I'm also very pleased with my VA care. My reason for posting was to inform our brothers that the "system" cannot handle the demand being placed on it. IMO, its reached the breaking point and will cost billions of dollars to fix. "Obama Care", no thanks brother -- he can keep his Health Care Plan. Definitely not pro socialized government run programs. The 'have nots' in this country are, in most cases, in that situation because they choose to be 'moochers' versus productive members of our society.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:03 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJohn View Post
Not my point at all 'tn cruiser' -- I'm also very pleased with my VA care. My reason for posting was to inform our brothers that the "system" cannot handle the demand being placed on it. IMO, its reached the breaking point and will cost billions of dollars to fix. "Obama Care", no thanks brother -- he can keep his Health Care Plan. Definitely not pro socialized government run programs. The 'have nots' in this country are, in most cases, in that situation because they choose to be 'moochers' versus productive members of our society.
thanks well said much better than i could ever verbalize
brianj
Old 03-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Chief for the info.Finally after all these years,they are starting to realize the system is sinking.Lets just hope something can be done,and they continue to have the will to DO it!

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:11 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i Have a dime

I recently finished round three with the VA , and it has taken since January 2004
and numerous surgeries, therapy both phys and brain wise
started at 60%, then temp 100 back to 60,
the last round took exactly 13 months to resolve and up my broken level
now at 100%,
was time wasted repeating previous items YES

I think folks with glaring problems should be streamlined, brain injuries and missing limbs need help NOW not 6-16 months later

move some skills to active duty so if your missing a limb but still want to serve, you can in a capacity commensurate with your abilities

just because i can no longer run or fly doesn't mean i cant lead a maintenance department. I didnt suddenly forget how to keep planes in the air.

imagine the self worth and mental boost that would give us broken oldies, and I aint old
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2021 F250 or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote