RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:17 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Vietnam Blue Water Navy

If you served on a U S Navy ship off the coast of Vietnam prior to 1975 and have one of the named VA conditions you may be covered for care.

Contact the VA:

Benefits.VA.Gov/Blue-Water-Navy

800-749-8387
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2020, 12:59 PM   #2

If you can prove you were within the 12 mile limit ....which is tough cause VA has removed access to 'Ships Deck Logs' in order to digitize them
Deck Logs prove 'location' with time/date

VA is slowly releasing deck logs....right now access is available on limited bases up thru 1972.

National Archives Catalog......check for your ship and what is currently available

https://www.archives.gov/research/mi...ks/navy-online

*I filed beginning of year and 'claims reveiw dept' keeps asking for 'records' of deployment
If they can't access them how am I suppose to???
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:55 AM   #3

This thread has peaked my interest, and I plan to pursue. I found this on the web today, have not dug any further, but it showed my ship, the Big E, was in the zone.

https://www.hillandponton.com/blue-w...y-vietnam-map/

I have no affiliation, just posting. I followed the link in post #2 and found some deck logs from the Big E.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
This thread has peaked my interest, and I plan to pursue. I found this on the web today, have not dug any further, but it showed my ship, the Big E, was in the zone.

I have no affiliation, just posting. I followed the link in post #2 and found some deck logs from the Big E.

THANKS for that Link....another 'tool'

Hopefully it will be updated/completed for all ships 'in the region' thru 1975 time frame.
Currently my ship is only cataloged thru 1971
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
If you served on a U S Navy ship off the coast of Vietnam prior to 1975 and have one of the named VA conditions you may be covered for care.

Contact the VA:

Benefits.VA.Gov/Blue-Water-Navy

800-749-8387
I would also advise if you are Blue Water Viet Nam veteran and have one of the recognized presumptive conditions to contact your local VSO. Even if you have been denied before. I have two veterans that I re-opened their closed, denied claims, one from 2003 and the other from 2008. Both were granted service connection and both received over 6 figure back pay for their disabilities. If your claim was denied in the past contact your VSO and have them re-open it, it's as simple as a 20-0995 form and a 4138 form explaining you suffer from a presumptive condition and you are re-opening your closed, denied claim.
Sam93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:09 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Thanks for the link. Although I don’t have any of the conditions, I did find my ship and there’s proof itwas within the 12 mile limit. (As I’ve always known) May come in handy in the future.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:19 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
More than 22k Claims granted to Blue Water Navy Veterans in 2020

The National Archives is digitizing more than 1,800 deck logs to determine ship locations, which helps VA confirm service. VA estimates there are between 420-560k Vietnam-era Veterans who may be considered Blue Water Navy Veterans.

https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/790...era-deck-logs/
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:22 PM   #8

I joined the Blue Water Navy around August 2019 in order to obtain deck logs for the USS Oriskany CVA-34 for late 1971 - 1974, at the time it was only place I could find the logs. The logs did show Oriskany crossed the 12 mile line at least three times while I was onboard. I also had in country time at DaNang and Tan Son Nhut Republic of South Vietnam. I filed for VA disability 8/19 got final decision 9/21/2020 of 70%. The VA did recognize exposure to agent orange both in country and onboard Oriskany. I am happy with their decision.
Bill
Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post

See my post a little further down. "Records of War". May help
Cpl Ed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
water

« USAA Coverage | - »