Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-07-2021, 01:00 PM   #43

Had a low draft number (81) made it until Feb that year (1971) but had Mono, so got deferred until June.
Re-upped at Basic so I wouldn't have to be in infantry and went into helicopter weapon systems (AH-1G Cobras).
Re-upped in 74 for 4 years to get a bonus.
Spent last 2 years at FT Campbell, KY as a Staff Sergeant, and hated it so much so I got out.
(One of the best decisions I ever made).
Went to work and went to night school to finish my mechanical engineering degree on the GI bill.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2021, 05:13 PM   #44

Army Vs Navy

I dropped out of HS and got a job working at a gas station. Quit that and decided to go to join the Army. I filled out all the paper work and at the last moment I decided I didn't want to be told what to do all the time. Later I was sitting around the house and my dad said I could not just sit there and I had better get a job. So I went back to the recruiting office and talked to the Army recruiter again, but because they had done all the paper work and I bailed on them, they said this time I had to do all the leg work getting everything done. I didn't have a car and couldn't go faxing stuff and paying for all the miscellaneous things I would have to do, so since the Navy was on the other side of the partition, I signed up with the Navy. Turns out I love boats, marching, saluting, and the crisp uniforms. I spent 11 1/2 years and then my love of food made my waistline too big for the Navy. Still love the memories of the Navy. I hear it has changed dramatically since I got out 29 years ago. Too woke for me now.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:30 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
I had entertained the idea of joining the military after high school but was persuaded to go to a local college by my mom. My parents ended up getting a really, really nasty divorce shortly after my second college semester and I quickly decided I wasn't going to get dragged into the middle of things so I went to see the local recruiting office. The Air Force recruiter was able to get me into basic training sooner than any other branch of service so I enlisted and left for BMT three days later. Who knew that I'd end up staying for twenty years.
AveryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:35 PM   #46

Nixon stopped the draft late January 1973. I turned 18 in March. Went thru college and in my final semester (76) thought about joining the Navy and the Seabees and seeing the world. Met my wife in August 76 and decided I did not need to see the world and got married in 77. Now I regret not serving. Shoulda joined up in 73.
Mike in Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:18 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Navy I liked their uniform the best!

x2... that Crackerjack uniform was it for me. Little did I know I'd have to give it up when I made Chief....
markpj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:30 PM   #48

I will admit, both the navy and marines have some nice looking dress-up wear. So did my early/mid 70s army with their khakis.

BUT things have finally changed - the Army recently adopted Ike's uniform (pinks and green), and it looks marvelous.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:12 AM   #49

Country Coach Owners Club
We grew up in the Midwest. I swam in lakes since I was real small. I would get near water and jump in. My dad would have to go in after me as I didn’t know how to swim then. Later my brother joined the navy to avoid being drafted in the Army. During his time in he travelled and when he called home it was often in the middle of the night. Add it up, I joined the Navy at 18. Went through BUD/S, served in UDT-11, SEAL Team 1 and four years at the Naval Special Warfare Center as a first phase instructor. The experience was very rewarding.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:36 AM   #50

I grew up in the Air Force, my dad, a WWII B-29 pilot, was a career AF officer so there was never any question in my mind, that Air Force would be my choice despite having vision problems that prevented me from my dream of becoming a pilot. I knew the culture, the bases, etc. I was commissioned out of AFROTC in 1968. As it turned out, that was a good decision since my draft number was 10. Being non-rated (non-pilot, etc.), I decided that a career didn't make much sense. I don't regret either decision.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:47 AM   #51

The judge gave me 2 options, I took option #1.
At the time I had been an USMC poolie for 1 yr.
Retired from the AF after 20 yrs as a C-141 Flight Engineer.
2 more years from now I retire as a 20 yr GS from my old flying squadron.
We have a tight unit camaraderie group of RET, EX, and current.

Can't wait to BRAAAP all over this country.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:19 PM   #52

The Army recruiter's office was closest.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
military