Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2017, 06:51 AM   #1

2 cats and a dog in a 35ft class A (advice needed)

Hi all,

We are not full timers and take trips normally of 3 to 7 days duration.

As of now we have a pet sitter who calls to our house for 45 minutes the day after we leave until the day before we come home to look after our cats.

We got a rescue Lab 3.5 weeks ago and she has come on one 3 day trip with us already and loves it. I am 100% happy with her in the rv.

Both cats were indoor/outdoor until a couple of months ago when the vet said the older one needed to stay inside due to a condition she has, so we decided to keep both of them in.

Our concern is that if one or both of them got out through the door we may never find them. The both will pull off collars in short order.

Would it be foolish to try to bring the cats along?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2017, 07:23 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We travel with two cats. They have always been indoor only. They travel in crates for their safety. They are very good at staying away from the door - understanding "back, back, back". I will agree if you have a cat who actively wants to make a break for the door it would be very difficult.

In case our cars do get out they are chipped and have collars with phone number embroidered. Additionally we have Bluetooth locator tags on their collars.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
We travel with two cats. They have always been indoor only. They travel in crates for their safety. They are very good at staying away from the door - understanding "back, back, back". I will agree if you have a cat who actively wants to make a break for the door it would be very difficult.

In case our cars do get out they are chipped and have collars with phone number embroidered. Additionally we have Bluetooth locator tags on their collars.
I agree that getting the cats chipped would be a good idea if you do end up taking them on your trips.
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:31 AM   #4

Thanks both,

Both cats are chipped, the issue is keeping a collar on them.

Maybe I should try them in the rv in our drive with the dog in the house.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:54 AM   #5

We travel with three cats and they were a little upset on their first trip but settled down after a few hours. Now they actually seem to enjoy traveling. Our MH is a bunk model so we have their litter box in the lower bunk where we removed the mattress. Their beds are on the top bunk where they spend most of their time.
We have a Temp Stick from Idealsciences which we use to monitor the temperature when we are out of the MH. It will alert us if the temperature goes above a set limit. Before getting it we always worried about a loss of power or an air conditioner problem during hot weather.
It will become second nature for you to be aware of their locations when opening the door. We are fortunate in that ours don't seem to want to get out. When the weather allows, we will leave the door open and let them look out the screen door.
I think you will enjoy taking your cats and dog along for the ride.
dsurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:12 AM   #6

Thats a great idea about monitoring temperature.

Ours cats only leave the house to
go to the vets and then do not travel in cages so they can gwy to a litter tray in the back of my
4runner.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Thats a great idea about monitoring temperature.

Ours cats only leave the house to
go to the vets and then do not travel in cages so they can gwy to a litter tray in the back of my
4runner.
I agree about monitoring temp.
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:28 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
2 cats and a dog in a 35ft class A (advice needed)

We travel with 3 cats. One gets behind the sofa. One dives under the recliner, and the other heads to the bedroom. We double and triple check for where they are before we put out the slides. Be super careful as it can be disastrous. Other than that, they do just fine. The 2 times we traveled with them caged, they were overheated (poor air circulation in the crates) and had peed and pooped themselves. It was not fun washing 4 cats the instant we hit camp. I know about them being missiles and I can see that if they were marching around. But, they hide under and behind things and travel much happier if we just let them stay out.
Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textronics View Post
We travel with 3 cats. One gets behind the sofa. One dives under the recliner, and the other heads to the bedroom. We double and triple check for where they are before we put out the slides. Be super careful as it can be disastrous. Other than that, they do just fine. The 2 times we traveled with them caged, they were overheated (poor air circulation in the crates) and had peed and pooped themselves. It was not fun washing 4 cats the instant we hit camp. I know about them being missiles and I can see that if they were marching around. But, they hide under and behind things and travel much happier if we just let them stay out.
We had the same issue when we drove them to the vet or kennels in a crate.

Now we have a pet sitter who comes and check on them every day. When we go to the vet I drop the back seats in my SUV and put a litter tray in and let them loose.

My wife had decided it's best to leave the cats at home, the dog loves coming with us.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:38 PM   #10

Quote:
My wife had decided it's best to leave the cats at home, the dog loves coming with us.
x2 with the cats. A chip is only good IF you actually find the cat. Maybe they have something that TRACKS the cat like they can do with us and our cell phone

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
x2 with the cats. A chip is only good IF you actually find the cat. Maybe they have something that TRACKS the cat like they can do with us and our cell phone
Both of them will take a collar off on minutes flat. A harness for said device is the only option.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Both of them will take a collar off on minutes flat. A harness for said device is the only option.
This is a popular youtube video channel and they have two cats as well that travel with them. They started with a RV for several years and now they are on a sailboat. Perhaps they have an answer to your question in one of their videos

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #13

Thanks for that,

Tags
cat, class a