Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2012, 03:36 AM   #1

Another CG dog attack!

This one happened the day before we got to Tim's Ford in TN. A pit bull the owner had off the leash attacked an older woman walking a small dog on a leash. She was knocked down, bitten and badly bruised before the dog could be beaten and pulled off her by the owner and other campers. It was reported to the police, the park ranger and the CG host. She's considering suing the dog's owner. A few people thought she should also sue those working there who were not enforcing the leash law - whoever was responsible for enforcing it. I saw two other dogs that were not on chains or leads, both were large dogs. We wont be going back there. I don't care to camp where I have to keep pepper spray in my pocket whenever I leave the RV.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
laj

Since it was reported to the police was anyone cited , and for what?
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
And Pit bulls are such sweet loving dogs....Keep them away from me.

I hope the lady takes the dog and park owners for every penny they have.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
And Pit bulls are such sweet loving dogs....Keep them away from me.

I hope the lady takes the dog and park owners for every penny they have.

Ken
Dog owner yes but ,why the park owner, would that just put another campground out of bussiness?
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
Dog owner yes but ,why the park owner, would that just put another campground out of bussiness?

Yes, dog owner is the problem, I would go after her. I love Pitbull owners(my daughter is one) they all think their dog is so sweet until it tries to eat another dog/person
bps3040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
If that's the kind of campground they run and the way they enforce their regulations, perhaps they don't deserve the privilege of being in business.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
If that's the kind of campground they run and the way they enforce their regulations, perhaps they don't deserve the privilege of being in business.

Rusty
I am not familar wiyh this campground but one would assume that guest are given a copy of the rules/regulations. How can a campground owner be expected to monitor all guest 24 hrs a day to ensure that each guest follows stated rules/regulations. We must be responsible for our own actions and not try to blame someone else.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #8

So the campground owner should have someone watching every camper 24/7 to make sure all the rules are enforced? Not feasable. If the CG owner/manager had been advised that the dog owner was in violation and they failed to address it, then perhaps sue them too.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The campground was responsible for providing a safe place and enforcing the rules. If the campground let a knowingly bad breed of dog in and did not enforce the rules about leashes, yes, they need to be held partially responsible with the dog owner.

We have been in campgrounds that seemed to have two sets of rules...short term guest and long term residents. The long term folks were let slide on some of the rules...but short term had to toe the line.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 06-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The campground was responsible for providing a safe place and enforcing the rules. If the campground let a knowingly bad breed of dog in and did not enforce the rules about leashes, yes, they need to be held partially responsible with the dog owner.

We have been in campgrounds that seemed to have two sets of rules...short term guest and long term residents. The long term folks were let slide on some of the rules...but short term had to toe the line.

Ken
Other than Pit Bulls what other bad breeds should be banned? How about banning bad people?
henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #11

Yah... lets add racial profiling to banning "bad breeds". Lynch mob mentality at its best.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #12

BAD BREEDS
Mmmmm, let's see. I thought the same about pits till my GF's son just had to have one he found on the internet at the local humane society. She is the biggest baby. Spoiled rotten! She was micro chipped and all shots updated BEFORE she was adopted out. I was led to believe these breeds do NOT get adopted out because of them being dangerous. She was the favorite dog of the girl working the day my GF picked her up. She gets along with all dogs and even CATS! I have watched her want to play with a outdoor cat in a CG, but I said "no, you can't play" and she left the cat alone. She should have been on her leash, but she had to go really bad that morning and I hadn't found it yet.

Have I seen her act mean? Only when the neighbors chocolate lab wants to attack me through the fence. She growls a little and positions herself between the lab and me. She doesn't try to "get" the lab, just protect me.
She plays with a little mop dog, a Maltese that my GF's daughter owns. She gets down and crawls and paws at it like a cat plays even when the mop dog nips at her. She walks right past my mom's cat sitting in a chair when we visit, only stopping to sniff and say hello. My mom has a pack (3 - used to be more) of dachshunds and had a poodle too. I guarantee that you would be bitten by the poodle and at least 1 of the dachshunds! More if you mess with their food! Nina, all 60 lbs of her (she's FAT, not stocky) is so well mannered and doesn't bite even playing around feeding her by hand. I have tried to get her to bite to see if she would because I didn't know her when we got her and I didn't want my GF's son bitten.

I have come to notice that news stations report any mid sized dog attack as being a pit. Seeing the dog on TV in more than one story, it was clearly a mutt of many breeds. PIT BULLS make it news! No one wants to blame the collies, German shepherds, beagles, ect.

Bad owners make bad dogs and should know how their dog is, and restrain accordingly. People often make pits aggressive and then want them to be nice on command! Those are not to be trusted.

Don't judge all by ones actions unless you are that prejudiced! All (pick a race) are not like the person of that same race that was on that last news story for whatever they did to get on the news!

I came to this site for RV fellowship and info, NOT to defend my dog!
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
If you re-read the OP you'll see that this was a state park CG, so putting it out of business is a moot point.

In any park that I have been in the park rules are publicly posted and it is the responsibility of park patrons to read them. If, and it's a big if, the volunteer host notices that a park patron is in violation of the rules then he/she can advise them of what the rules are, but they do not have the authority to enforce the rules. The volunteer host can, and should, notify the ranger if the problem persists. Then it's up to the ranger to enforce the rule or remove the offender. But, before that can happen, the ranger needs to be aware that there is a problem.

To take it a step further I would also say that when we see a clear violation of a major rule in a CG we should notify those responsible for enforcing those rules.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We were camped several years ago in a Texas state park, and some folks in a really trashy trailer pulled in, and out rolled several kids to runn all over the place and what appeared to be a pi bull or mix was turned loose without a leash. An older couple was walking their small dog on a leash and unprevolked, the pit/mix (still unleashed) ran out and attached the smaller dog. The dog owner kicked the thunder out of the pit/mix andsent it runnig, grabbed his dog and headed to the vets office.

Word got around to the ranger, he came around and got the scoop on the dog (still loose), he wrote the people a ticket and told them to leave the park. The small dog was OK, with a few wounds and the ranger gave them the dog owners contact information from the ticket he issued.

Yes, this was a case of a bad owner...but of a bad dog as well.

I did not connect that the OP was in a state park, so just file suit on the owner.