Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2020, 09:50 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Poodle. They do not shed, they do not stink and are super smart
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2020, 10:08 PM   #16

I'm in the Golden Retriever camp losing ours in 2013 and still miss her badly. Husband loves GSD's (taught not to be whiny at a very young age as they can be!). If I were looking for a little smaller it'd be a sheltie (it'd be trained from a very young age, to be a rough and tumble fun, not a yappy, prissy, shy dog as many can be). Most of them shed a lot, but I'd give my eye teeth to have our Golden shedding again here = best dog we've ever had. Labradors don't tend to shed as much and are pretty intelligent as well.

Daughter who lives with us, so we have it a lot, has got a totally adorable (think legs like Julia Roberts), labrador/Pyrenees cross and she has the cutest temperament and ways of telling us what she wants, but drools too much for me, and boy does she run (Pyrenees trait we are told!) and won't come back = arrrrgh.

Another favourite dog of ours for intelligence and training is a Border Collie or Australian sheep dog. But boy oh boy do you need to let them get tons and tons of exercise several times a day, as they are used for herding and a working dog. Nonetheless gorgeous breed.

Consider the general breed, temperament and needs YOU are looking for in any dog. Get them young enough and be strict with them at the front end, no matter how cute they are and you can more or less mould any dog into a wonderful to be proud of family member for years to come.

Every dog we've ever owned has been introduced very young, potty trained on the hour day 1 to 3, then 2 hours and so on over time. Taught not to watch when we are eating and go to their beds, no excessive barking except "please bark" or unless stranger/noise approaches territory, and most except daughter's now, could leave out all day long with no gating/tied up, and never left home or RV area. Once I forgot I'd put food down on the floor for our Golden, and the phone rang - 30 mins later I came back in the kitchen and there was the biggest pool of drool because I'd neglected to tell her she could have it. Felt so so bad, and never made that mistake again. Yes, it's hard work at the front end and hard to be firm/punish when they are OMG such cute babies, but it's been worth it every step of the way for the next 13, 12 & 17 years.

Kids trained the same decades ago but hubby alas was too old when I got him 38+ years ago
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:11 PM   #17

Almost every dog I've owned was the "best dog", currently he's a noisy 90 pound GSD. But in fairness GSDs intimidate many folks.

With that said I also once owned a 50/60 pound female Boxer (RIP). She was a lover and never frightened anyone. She also loved the water.

However she was also a killer of cats, raccoons, squirrels, chickens and even a sting ray (we once lived on Mobile Bay).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bikes 002.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	296616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sassy2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	296617  

Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:00 AM   #18

Consider a Senior Rescue — there are a lot of senior dogs, with lots of life and love left to give needing homes. The benefit of senior rescues is they are almost always much calmer, more laid back.

Daughter did two senior beagles - got one at 9 and one at 12 - they made it to 15 & 17 respectively. Both were sweet old girls. Currently has a 13 year old rottie mix - Mary doesn’t get around as well as she used to but you won’t find a sweeter, more loyal companion.
Tip10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:51 AM   #19

Our last dog was a female Boxer. 65lbs of the sweetest dog to ever live. When the MH door was open she went straight to the co pilot seat. My wife always let her have it and sat in the chair behind. The Boxer would sit up in the seat and look out the windshield the entire trip. Our dog now is 85lbs of the sweetest dog to ever live. An Olde English Bulldog.
sawmillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:56 AM   #20

Female boxer!
Lucy pearl turned 10 on july 4th, best travelling dog ever
Readyy2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:51 AM   #21

We travel with our 110# yellow lab. Great traveler. Loves exploring new campgrounds. He gets along great with both people and other dogs both large and small.

We see several great danes and full size poodles. Their owners say they are also great travelers.
Stay away from the so called aggressive breeds. A lot of campgrounds don't allow them.

2017 Riverstone Legacy
Northernaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:41 PM   #22

Irish Wolfhound

I have 2 Irish Wolfhounds. One is 3 1/2 170 lbs. The other is 11 months 130 lbs. They are the best travelers. Very friendly, loving velcro giants. Just want to be near you and hardly ever bark! Very adaptable, if you run, they will run. If you walk, they will walk. If you are a couch potato, they will gladly do that too. I have a Class C, Thor Four Winds 24 F, 25' long with slide (whole side). I had to put a barrier ( section of wrought iron fence and bungee cords) behind the driver/passenger seat because one wanted to ride up front, but also move around! They can also "hold it" for a very long time. I also have a mini dachshund who is a pain in the tush. He barks A LOT!
Eddieboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:10 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
RV Doggies

We have a Pom and a Black Lab.. Both tend to be noisy when people are around outside of "their" territory. Love them both as one stays on the couch and one under the table..
Jim Duffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #24

Remember, most retriever type dogs are/can be high energy. Our last Lab mix loved to run, so I would get on my bike qnd he would pull me around for hours. Our current chowbrador is lazy couch potato. He even at 120 pounds would rather sit on my lap than exercise. You might look at a standard poodle. They can be high energy, but also friendly
Old 08-16-2020, 07:50 AM   #25

Last one was a Chesapeake Bay retriever. Good dog but they wear out the interior of the rig. Miss the dog but not the dirt, hair and smell. After 40 years with large dogs not sure we will get another one. Safe travels.

Enjoy the journey
Old 09-15-2020, 03:20 PM   #26

We have a 115 lb wolf/dog.
Rodger47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:46 PM   #27

I would opt for a standard poodle. They usually love to swim, are rea)y friendly, easy to take care of with only a few issues. Next, if your active a Lab. Our last Lab mix loved to run and swim. I would hook him to my bike and he would pull me as long as he wanted to run. If your senimentary how about a rescue greyhound. They are real couch potaotes.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:33 PM   #28

We adopted a pound dog. Had a DNA analysis done. Lab/Boxer/Great Dane mix. Great traveler and loves to play with other dogs....but that has been an issue a couple of times. He is so big and looks so mean that other dog owners find him to be intimidating.

Tags
dog, travel