RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2020, 09:26 AM   #1

Bully Breeds

Hello all

First I would like to state that I am not posting this thread to start a debate, an argument, or indicate who is right or wrong. We all have our own canine breed of choice and I respect everyoneís choice. My choice, however, seems to be an unpopular one. As I am reading through this section, there are not many who feel comfortable with bully breeds.

Since my DH and I travel a lot with our dogs, Iíve created a group for others who travel with bully breeds. If interested, head on over to RVing and Camping with Pit Bulls. This group can be found on FB.

Thanks and God Bless!

6ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2020, 11:42 AM   #2

We have 2 American Staffordshire Terriers and they are the best dogs we have ever had. Being full time RVers, we thankfully have only been turned away from 1 campground due to their breed. My personal opinion, their arenít bad dogs, but bad owners...no matter what the breed is.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBuchanan77 View Post
We have 2 American Staffordshire Terriers and they are the best dogs we have ever had. Being full time RVers, we thankfully have only been turned away from 1 campground due to their breed. My personal opinion, their aren’t bad dogs, but bad owners...no matter what the breed is.
Thank you for the positive vibes. I couldn't agree more! I'm hoping we have the same experience when traveling.

For some reason my group is not searchable. Below is the link for anyone interested.

[moderator edit]
Old 04-11-2020, 10:07 AM   #4

I think you are fighting a losing battle myself. I myself am not against any type of dog, but large dogs in general are getting more and more unwelcome at rv parks. If you plan on remote camping, that's a different story. I have friends with bull breeds. None are problem dogs. My brother has a 150 lb bull mastiff. Other than his sheer size, the dog is as docile a dog as I have ever seen. He loves attention, and is just a big suck. That being said, I don't think most people want to see a 150 lb dog tied to a tree beside their camper. I believe insurance companies are the main reason behind campgrounds becoming more stringent on rules concerning large dogs. In our lawyer driven society, any risks are trying to be eliminated. For example, our town has had a very long standing tradition of any local hockey team that wins the provincial title being driven down main street on the firetrucks. This was cancelled a few years ago due to some lawyers perception of possible risk by the town to be sued. I think you will see more and more parks restricting dog sizes to 40 lbs or less. If this is right or wrong is not for us, or even the parks to decide. If their insurance wont cover them otherwise, they have no choice but to toe the line. Good luck with your FB group. Cheers.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I think you are fighting a losing battle myself. I myself am not against any type of dog, but large dogs in general are getting more and more unwelcome at rv parks. If you plan on remote camping, that's a different story. I have friends with bull breeds. None are problem dogs. My brother has a 150 lb bull mastiff. Other than his sheer size, the dog is as docile a dog as I have ever seen. He loves attention, and is just a big suck. That being said, I don't think most people want to see a 150 lb dog tied to a tree beside their camper. I believe insurance companies are the main reason behind campgrounds becoming more stringent on rules concerning large dogs. In our lawyer driven society, any risks are trying to be eliminated. For example, our town has had a very long standing tradition of any local hockey team that wins the provincial title being driven down main street on the firetrucks. This was cancelled a few years ago due to some lawyers perception of possible risk by the town to be sued. I think you will see more and more parks restricting dog sizes to 40 lbs or less. If this is right or wrong is not for us, or even the parks to decide. If their insurance wont cover them otherwise, they have no choice but to toe the line. Good luck with your FB group. Cheers.
Very good overview and it is definitely due to the statistical data

Makes sense whether others like it or not
Old 04-11-2020, 12:58 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Years ago I had a very well trained German Shepherd and a Staffordshire Terrier, Charlie.
He was a great dog, obeyed commands, loved the kids and was great except for one thing. He climbed fences. The GSD could jump the 5 ft. fence, but she didn't. Charlie would climb and jump off. He had broken and minded leg but still climbed.

I had to give him away as I could not keep him contained. Otherwise he was great!

They both RVed with us the GSD for 14 years.
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post

Thank you! Good insight and I agree that some hands are tied due to insurance restrictions and definitely our lawyer driven society. I don't agree that anything a person believes in is a losing battle Back in the day it was the Doberman who was vicious, then the Rottweiler, now a Pit Bull. I think a dog's behavior is a reflection of their training. But that is another subject.

I wanted to start the FB page because of all the negativity I found on RV Forums. I know people don't like my choice of dog but there are others out there that do. If I have a question about an RV, I hop on the forum and get answers. If I get on a forum and search anything regarding bully breeds, or BSL within campgrounds, etc, there is very little info. Or, there is a lot of negative comments and info. I don't want to have a debate with strangers, it won't get me anywhere. I want to have a place to go to share info with other bully breed owners.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:22 PM   #8

Yeah you will have an extremwly hard time getting pit bull, american staffordshire or any other name you give it into many parks. Ive not worked at a park in 10 years thats allowed that breed and many others. the insurnace company will not stand for it period. No debate but fact. Was charged by one walking my 12 pound shih tzu. Teenage kid in tow being dragged. Not for the kid in tow prob been a dead dog. instances like that are why there banned from most parks. just an opinion and experience.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:42 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBuchanan77 View Post
We have 2 American Staffordshire Terriers and they are the best dogs we have ever had. Being full time RVers, we thankfully have only been turned away from 1 campground due to their breed. My personal opinion, their arenít bad dogs, but bad owners...no matter what the breed is.
thats how our last peanut was listed, and we never had an issue. Most people or areas that do not want pit bulls, have no idea the real breed name and therefore are ignorant to the fact
our late peanut was a lover, he always wanted to be petted, super good family member.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170602_121146.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	285945  

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
Yeah you will have an extremwly hard time getting pit bull, american staffordshire or any other name you give it into many parks. Ive not worked at a park in 10 years thats allowed that breed and many others. the insurnace company will not stand for it period. No debate but fact. Was charged by one walking my 12 pound shih tzu. Teenage kid in tow being dragged. Not for the kid in tow prob been a dead dog. instances like that are why there banned from most parks. just an opinion and experience.
I actually have had the opposite. The campgrounds I go to allow Pit Bulls and they travel everywhere with me. Both are rescues. I have only come across a few that do not allow Pitt's, Rotties, and Dobermans. I am assuming the reason is as "powerboatr" pointed out about people's perception combined with insurance reasons as winniman stated.

The purpose of my FB group was to discuss camping with people who have the same interests as mine. We are all different, that's what makes the world go 'round.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:43 PM   #11

Insurance Underwriters set the restrictions on 'agressive breeds' based on injuries/death statistics from claims filed.
CG Insurnace Policies require CGs to adhere are place their Insurance Coverage in jeopardy.

Insurnace Companies have a List of roughly 14 breeds that can be banned due to the damage that is inflicted by certain breeds.
The 14 most often blacklisted dog breeds were:
  • Pit Bull Terriers
  • Staffordshire Terriers
  • Rottweilers
  • German Shepherds
  • Presa Canarios
  • Chows Chows
  • Doberman Pinschers
  • Akitas
  • Wolf-hybrids
  • Mastiffs
  • Cane Corsos