Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2022, 07:24 AM   #1

Campgrounds with Dog Runs or Parks

Traveling with greyhounds our first choice for campgrounds are ones with a fenced dog area. Why are there so many parks with large open areas not installing enclosed dog runs?

Although not always the least expensive choice we will continue to keep our KOA membership, I think every KOA we've stayed in has some form of dog park.

Also, why do the the ones that do have dedicated dog runs make it so difficult to tell if it is one of their amenities?
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2022, 08:08 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Feel your frustration.......greyhounds are the reason we purchased our first fifth wheel trailer 18 years ago......so we would not sneak our 2 greyhounds into motel rooms. Our greyhounds needed fenced in dog runs when off lead otherwise they would bolt..........and let the chase begin.
Old 11-17-2022, 08:14 AM   #3

That is always a concern. We had a Boondockers Welcome host mention an off leash area for dogs. Unfortunately, it was just an open field.

If we take Sadie once to a dog run within the campground, she will only go that direction on every walk. no matter how far our campsite is.

Our girls love to run. We have had to fill in holes in some dog parks. We had a grey break his leg in the backyard when he hit a hole we did not know about.
Old 11-17-2022, 08:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
Traveling with greyhounds our first choice for campgrounds are ones with a fenced dog area. Why are there so many parks with large open areas not installing enclosed dog runs?

Although not always the least expensive choice we will continue to keep our KOA membership, I think every KOA we've stayed in has some form of dog park.

Also, why do the the ones that do have dedicated dog runs make it so difficult to tell if it is one of their amenities?
We no longer have dogs. I see lots of parks showing dog areas under amenities.
Did a quick search and found this.
https://blog.campingworld.com/the-rv...y-campgrounds/
No idea if good information or not
Good luck
Old 11-18-2022, 07:18 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Holes in dog runs risk an injury to greys............so we generally take them to fenced baseball fields and sandy beaches like Carmel, California to run free.
Old 11-18-2022, 07:35 AM   #6

[QUOTE=Charming;6360118]Traveling with greyhounds our first choice for campgrounds are ones with a fenced dog area. Why are there so many parks with large open areas not installing enclosed dog runs?

I can't answer for the campground owners, but maybe they don't want to spend the money on the fencing or on maintaining the dog park. Unfortunately, not everyone picks up their dog's poop in dog parks. I have miniature dachshunds that hunt rabbits, so I have to be very careful about checking the bottom of the fence at dog parks. The fences aren't always that secure at the bottom, or it looks like they've damaged some of the chain link when mowing, leaving holes in the fence. And this has been at city dog parks, not campgrounds. I wonder if there are any ordinances that would affect campgrounds or liability issues, etc.
pbwhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 07:40 AM   #7

[QUOTE=pbwhitney;6360949]
Quote:

I can't answer for the campground owners, but maybe they don't want to spend the money on the fencing or on maintaining the dog park. Unfortunately, not everyone picks up their dog's poop in dog parks. I have miniature dachshunds that hunt rabbits, so I have to be very careful about checking the bottom of the fence at dog parks. The fences aren't always that secure at the bottom, or it looks like they've damaged some of the chain link when mowing, leaving holes in the fence. And this has been at city dog parks, not campgrounds. I wonder if there are any ordinances that would affect campgrounds or liability issues, etc.
I hadn't thought about the liability, but almost every KOA we've visited has a fenced dog park. I see less dog poop in most of the parks than in campgrounds with dog walk areas.
Old 11-18-2022, 07:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Holes in dog runs risk an injury to greys............so we generally take them to fenced baseball fields and sandy beaches like Carmel, California to run free.
The only dog park that we've seen with holes, so far, was the one at the KOA in Petaluma, CA. We will walk the area before letting the dogs off their leads. At the Petaluma park we put barricades over the holes. I always stood by one of them.
Old 11-23-2022, 04:19 PM   #9

You ought to see the dog owners flinch when I throw our Golden Taby in the dog(?) run. I usually inform them that I instructed my cat not to hurt their dogs.

Richard
Old 11-23-2022, 11:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
You ought to see the dog owners flinch when I throw our Golden Taby in the dog(?) run. I usually inform them that I instructed my cat not to hurt their dogs.

Richard
I know it was a joke, but not a good outcome for your cat if my greyhound is in the dog run.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:46 AM   #11

Quote:
I know it was a joke, but not a good outcome for your cat if my greyhound is in the dog run.
Actually I do put my 15# Taby in the dog run. He likes playing and making friends.
Aggressive dogs shouldn't be in the dog run.

Richard
Old 11-25-2022, 05:05 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Feel your frustration.......greyhounds are the reason we purchased our first fifth wheel trailer 18 years ago......so we would not sneak our 2 greyhounds into motel rooms. Our greyhounds needed fenced in dog runs when off lead otherwise they would bolt..........and let the chase begin.
Well, you only have to chase them for 1/4 mile!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 09:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
Actually I do put my 15# Taby in the dog run. He likes playing and making friends.
Aggressive dogs shouldn't be in the dog run.

Richard
Greys are one of the least aggressive dog breeds you will encounter. The problem is small furry creatures. Retired racers were trained to chase down furry things. We don't take our dogs to the parks when other dogs are present because we are afraid of other dogs.

Tags
campground, dog