RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:22 AM   #1

Camping with dogs

Has anyone had their best friend identified as a comfort animal to offset the 2 dog maximum that camp sites impose. We have 3 standard poodles, our best friends, that we can't leave behind when we go on vacay,,,so,,,we bought a 42 foot 5er and new 450 so we could travel across the country. We're hoping to make it to Alaska June of 2022.
rcurtis226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2021, 06:25 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't recall a 2 dog maximum, but I have seen a Three Dog Night....sorry a 3 dog max.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:27 AM   #3

Lol. U'r dating urself!!!! Guess I am too!!!
Old 02-04-2021, 06:37 AM   #4

You mean lie?
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:39 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Much like the 10 year rule,
put in place to manage conditions in the park .

There are exceptions to every rule, good pre-trip planning can help you avoid issues.

Remember, there are dog people and there are other folks. the other folks don't want to interact with any dogs. Nor listen to them.
Nor step in....

We travel with two, have seen some CG with number restrictions, size restrictions, breed restrictions, etc. One of the things I look for is if the CG pet friendly, and then i look at the restrictions. If we get into a situation where that CG is the only choice and we are brushing up on a rule, I call and discuss before booking/ follow up with email if possible.

best of luck.

j
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:10 AM   #6

You sound like one of those xxxxx who get a handicap tag for convenient parking, but are not handicapped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcurtis226 View Post
Has anyone had their best friend identified as a comfort animal to offset the 2 dog maximum that camp sites impose. We have 3 standard poodles, our best friends, that we can't leave behind when we go on vacay,,,so,,,we bought a 42 foot 5er and new 450 so we could travel across the country. We're hoping to make it to Alaska June of 2022.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:49 AM   #7
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
You mean lie?

Yup, no honesty or integrity anymore. As rare as common sense. They list the rules. either abide by or move on.
laj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:57 AM   #8

I ran across this website, might be useful for trip planning.

https://petfriendlytravel.com/
jrollf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:15 AM   #9

Some people actually have disabling emotional issues. You are makeing life extremely hard for them.

Airlines no longer recognize emotional support animal at all. Other places are beginning to do the same. The reason is because of people like you.

Trained dogs are a god send for the disabled. Untrained emus are a nightmare. At least pretend you have compassion for the disabled.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:20 AM   #10

MANY CGs have a 2 pet limit
More and more CGs Insurance Underwriters place restrictions on CG operations to keep their Insurance
Number of pets (typically 2), weight of dogs (25# & 45# are common), Aggressive Breeds (list of 13 breeds and mixes of those breeds)

We came across those during our FT travels all over the USA
Our dog was 78# Border Collie/Lab....when we encountered a CG with weight limits we went somewhere else
Their CG, their business, their investments, their rules----good for them

Lying....that is a window into a persons character

Utilize State/National/COE---NO pet restrictions on number/size/breed
just leaches...and you don't even have to lie

Fairgrounds, boondocking and SOME CGs (just be up front with them and allow them to make the decision based on true information provided by you)

YOU made the choice to have 3 dogs...so be the responsible dog owner and act accordingly
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:39 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Some state campgrounds have restrictions on pets. There are exceptions for qualified, certified service dogs.

The emotional support critter excuse has been ruined by ego centered jerks.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:01 PM   #12
GFC

Registered Emotional Support Animal

I have Sailor registered as an Emotional Support Animal. It costs a few bucks, but once he's registered you have a few benefits, such as properties cannot keep you from staying there, even if they have a "no pets" rule and they cannot charge you any extra. This all happens because he falls under the ADA Compliance rules. He is my emotional support animal because I have Stage 4 cancer that has metastasized throughout my body.

Old 02-05-2021, 05:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
I have Sailor registered as an Emotional Support Animal. It costs a few bucks, but once he's registered you have a few benefits, such as properties cannot keep you from staying there, even if they have a "no pets" rule and they cannot charge you any extra. This all happens because he falls under the ADA Compliance rules. He is my emotional support animal because I have Stage 4 cancer that has metastasized throughout my body.

I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Its amazing how some of the responses from other rv'ers has been so accusatory, without having the whole picture. Guess they have issues of their own. No judgment here. We hope you and Sailor have many wonderful days together.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:14 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been on several trips now with three dogs. A few observations:

If the dogs look similar, only take two out at a time. Who would know the difference. I've never felt the need to do that though. Never once even a comment I had 3 dogs, walking them all in plain sight.

Camp and park hosts I've encountered could care less about dogs (and owners) that aren't a problem. Many have dogs too. If the dogs aren't disturbing other campers and kept on a tie-out or leash, you're fine.

Forgiveness is easier than permission.

Accept the consequences if you're caught. We're not talking about breaking laws here, it's just a rule. Life's too short to worry about things that don't matter.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, dog, dogs