Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2022, 12:58 PM   #1

Cat harness

My wife and I are new at RVing unfortunately so is my cat. He is a good cat and not used to riding but I hope he will get used to it since he will have a lot of room in the RV.
I looked for escape proof cat halters on line and the Cat Holster seems to be the best one for him. Has anyone used one ?
How about other types of halters ? Thanks
Kenmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2022, 01:06 PM   #2

Don't have a Cat.....but did FT with a DOG

Harness.....full encompassing style is needed
Cats can slip/squeeze/wiggle/contort out like toothpaste from a tube

Make sure the full wrap harness is on/secured and leashed prior to opening the RV door...otherwise the CAT might just make a break for it
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 02:50 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My wife's little black and white female doesn't like to travel so we normally put her in a carrier whenever we are moving just to keep her calm. She doesn't like it a bit.

This last trip south I suggested we just let her be free and see what happened. She eventually found a happy place under the couch and settled right down in her new den. Then whenever we stop she comes out to be petted and look out the windshield.

I'm glad we did and we will probably never confine her again, but all cats are different.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 02:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmax View Post
My wife and I are new at RVing unfortunately so is my cat. He is a good cat and not used to riding but I hope he will get used to it since he will have a lot of room in the RV.
I looked for escape proof cat halters on line and the Cat Holster seems to be the best one for him. Has anyone used one ?
How about other types of halters ? Thanks
when we traveled with our cat she never tried to get out the door but she did have an annoying habit of crawling into the dashboard. she would climb up under the dash by the driver's foot control and from there into the dash. she once crawled all the way to the end by the passenger seat. i had to use the business end of a screwdriver on her backside (gently) to convince her to back up and out. from the point forward we blocked the area by the driver's seat to keep her from doing that. FYI.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:03 PM   #5

I put our cats in small dog harnesses. Those harness they make for cats lasted seconds. Micro chip cats and make sure they have a tag with an email on it to contact. You can get free "junk" email accounts at gmail and yahoo to use solely for the pet or as part of the "give us an email when you sign up for..." type things.
LMHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 03:00 PM   #6

Have yet to find a harness our cat can't wriggle out of, but planning on trying a "kitty holster" next.

We generally keep her in the bedroom when entering/exiting the RV, and we've been giving her ever decreasing doses of gabapentin to keep her calm while traveling. She has a bad habit of trying to curl up by the brake pedal while driving, so we need to be constantly aware of where she is when in motion. Eventually she'll calm down and curl up in the stairwell or one of our laps.

If we had newer iPhones I'd probably put an air tag on her collar, but for now we're using a "paw scout" to be able to track her down if she escapes -- provided she doesn't pull her collar off, which she often does. (She's also "chipped".)
whybother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 03:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
My wife's little black and white female doesn't like to travel so we normally put her in a carrier whenever we are moving just to keep her calm. She doesn't like it a bit.

This last trip south I suggested we just let her be free and see what happened. She eventually found a happy place under the couch and settled right down in her new den. Then whenever we stop she comes out to be petted and look out the windshield.

I'm glad we did and we will probably never confine her again, but all cats are different.
We have two cats (and 4 dogs). We had the same experience with our felines… in a carrier, under the dining table they would throw up.

Left free to roam, one went up top on the over head, the other under the jack-knife couch. We locked off the cab area to keep them out but they never went up in front when we were rolling.

We have harnesses for them but did not secure them anywhere. Our dogs are harnessed and tethered off. Knowing the cats habits now we most likely will tether them next time out. This is for their protection in the unlikely event of anyone being ejected from the vehicle in an accident (like seatbelts are for people).
Stumplifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 09:33 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Our Cats also like to get under the Dash, so we have them in a harness which we attach a leash to and just let them roam. If one of them tries to head for the drivers feet, one of us grab the leash and prevent them from entering the drivers foot area. In port, I have two pieces of white 1/4" Masonite I place in the drivers foot area to block the dash off. They have tried and failed every time the Masonite is in place.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:34 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We use a kitty holster (got it at Chewy) since it is easiest to get on and it stays there! We usually walk them (two at a time) in a stroller but only because I fear dogs on the loose in campgrounds. https://www.chewy.com/kitty-holster-...ness/dp/134273
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat