Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2015, 03:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
So far none of them has really "bolted" for the door, although they will gather around it when the outside door is open. The only one that might go out is Tomiko, the one I walk on a leash. It's just never been a problem for us, even with six cats in the rig.
We used a homemade Velcro latch "thingie" in the old RV to keep the cats from opening the screen door themselves. We also always had Plexiglas on the bottom half so they don't tear the screen. It was held on with Velcro.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
Just a question, Mr. D included! We are contemplating traveling with our three cats and my DW has one big concern; How do you prevent an unwanted bolt for the door when only your cats are in the mh, rv, whatever you brought?
If you store your cats in the freezer, you shouldn't have that problem.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnD View Post
We travel with 7 of the little pistols...and a bird. This last trip two of them got out into the dark night. I think they were after a bug, hit the screen door and the door flew open. They didn't go far, Bob pulled his usual escape behavior (sat under the nearest bush and cried) and Fred waited till the door opened and bolted back inside.
After our little lady Phaedra opened the screen door on her own and took a walk a few feet from the RV we made loop thing with Velcro so they could not open it from the inside. When we exited we reached in that slider and re-Velcroed it, and closed the slider. But that was at first. Now they spend most of their time looking out the windows or in their outside-the-RV catio.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:33 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Need help with Ideas for our Escape Cat

We have a 10 month old "Rag Doll", Sophie, that is an escape artist. She doesn't crowd the door, she shoots past you from behind and then goes under the coach. From there she'll head for any convenient cover, and does not want to come in or to us. We've met a lot of neighbor children "Herding" Sophie. I put a latch on the screen so she can't push it open, but any ideas on a "fence" or barrier we could rig up? We already have the little squirt bottle at the door.
Home:760-519-7014, email: guess@tpguess.com
Tpguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
So far none of them has really "bolted" for the door, although they will gather around it when the outside door is open. The only one that might go out is Tomiko, the one I walk on a leash. It's just never been a problem for us, even with six cats in the rig.
SIX cats in a RV!!! Where on earth do you put the box? LOL
I had 15 at one time, have reduced over time to 3 inside, 2 outside and ZERO in the RV ATM. LOL
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:40 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 3 month old kitten and plan on traveling with her. The tips from this thread are very much appreciated!
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have two cats.. One was born in the wild and entered my life about 7 weeks (Vet's best estimate) later. She discovered that magic food dish, You know the one that keeps refilling by magic (UR. my hand) and she decided SHE LIKED IT.. Vacummed it clean she did that first day.. and often since.

The other was picked up at a shelter about 6 months later. He does not even like to be TAKEN outdoors.. She likes to explore but she returns... Seems she feels a bit.. Concerned,, about those barkey things out there.. Both of them have gotten out without our knowledge by one means or another but.. We open the door and there they are.. Bolting for the INSIDE. (And the food dish and waterfall)
Old 12-07-2015, 10:50 PM   #22

Just an update. Thanks to all who gave great ideas except the freezer!! Our three cats have traveled in the mh this month a few short trips and did just fine. No bolting to the doors or panicking while traveling. Our youngest one loves to sit on dash while traveling on the freeway! Again thanks to all
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:00 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
SIX cats in a RV!!! Where on earth do you put the box? LOL
I had 15 at one time, have reduced over time to 3 inside, 2 outside and ZERO in the RV ATM. LOL
Litter box goes in the shower, I usually scoop it twice a day or more if needed.
We have a 7th coming in late January. That will be our 4th Japanese Bobtail.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:03 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, here are our three Japanese Bobtails. As you can see they are just a bundle of nerves when we travel! The bottom photo is the new one we're getting in late Jan. He's a long hair male Japanese Bobtail, and yes, he has one blue and one yellow eye as do two of the others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JBTs in MH.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	113671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moo3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	113672  

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:05 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My kitten is going in for spaying tomorrow. She does have a tendency to bolt (more so in going into my bedroom). RanCarr, can you post a photo of your Velcro loop device?

But, as mentioned, cats can be trained. Since we are in the Christmas season, my late cat Siren used to go after the Christmas tree ornaments when she was young and broke some. I solved that problem by hanging balloons on the lower branches. She never messed with Christmas trees since.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:08 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Litter box goes in the shower, I usually scoop it twice a day or more if needed.
We have a 7th coming in late January. That will be our 4th Japanese Bobtail.
I found a litter box at the SPCA (where I got my kitten) that is about half the size of the standard litter box. Seems to be the right size for an RV. We'll see how that works out.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:03 AM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't have cat's but thought I would read this thread.
We had 2 cats years ago, unfortunately for only about a year, what a blast they were fun to watch.
After almost a year of breathing problems we figured it was the cat's, so they went to good homes and they went together.
I sure miss them but breathing was more important!!!
Thanks for the great read.
We do have too little girly dogs which are just as fun to watch. And they like there leashes.

Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:58 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Whether or not your cats bolt, make sure they are microchipped and that the chip company has your contact information. It is a small investment that can return your pet in case of a real runaway disaster.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat