Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2015, 07:38 PM   #1

Cat people!

Just a question, Mr. D included! We are contemplating traveling with our three cats and my DW has one big concern; How do you prevent an unwanted bolt for the door when only your cats are in the mh, rv, whatever you brought?
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2015, 07:45 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our cats are indoor only and have little interest in going outside. We crack the door and look to see if they are nearby. They understand 'back,back,back' and comply when we enter, if they are near the door. If your cats want to get out, I can see where it would be very difficult to preclude an unwanted exit.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:38 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have had that problem in the past.. My two cats today....

Well have you ever read "If you love something set it free, if it comes back to you great, if it does not it was never yours?"

Both Amber and Alex (my house felines) have gotten out when I did not know it.. Both of 'em were waiting patiently on the steps when I opened the door so they could get back in.

you see. Amber was born in the wild, came to live with me about 7 weeks later.. Discovered that magic dish that keeps refilling with cat food.. Likes it.

Alex, on the other hand is chicken large the big outdoors scares him and he wants to get back inside where he's safe and protected.

Amber is also leash trained.. if she goes out she takes her human servant on a leash so he does not get lost.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:16 AM   #4

If Rocket (our 14 yr old yellow tabby neutered male) gets out of the house while we are packing the coach for a trip, he can be found next to the entry steps of the coach. His attitude is we are NOT going without him.
If we are in a CG he will get up on the low wall by the door, right next to where his harness hangs, and meow that he wants out. Usually around 6 PM. And then it is usually because he is going to take a really, REALLY, smelly dump. Considerate he is!
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:26 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
Just a question, Mr. D included! We are contemplating traveling with our three cats and my DW has one big concern; How do you prevent an unwanted bolt for the door when only your cats are in the mh, rv, whatever you brought?
So far none of them has really "bolted" for the door, although they will gather around it when the outside door is open. The only one that might go out is Tomiko, the one I walk on a leash. It's just never been a problem for us, even with six cats in the rig.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:38 PM   #6

Contrary to popular belief, Cats can be trained. We travel with 4, the two younger ones don't go out and never had. The Old Guy of the group will escape once in a while, but only goes as far as the nearest grass patch. The older girl likes to go out, but will not go until she has her harness on, then open the door and down the steps she goes.
Last year we traveled from Florida to Alaska and back, this past summer was the Canadian Maritime all the way to the Northern tip of Newfoundland and no escapes on either trip.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:47 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our two cats will just lay there and watch the open door. They have no interest in going through it. Total indoors cats.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:47 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Last May on a trip to Florida, Daisy, our Tuxedo cat got out while I was reaching for my coffee cup while exiting the motorhome. She immediately ran under the motorhome and then into the palm grove forest. I thought she was gone for good.
Stupidly, I ran after her calling her name and thrashing through the palm fronds. Scared her to death. While I was thrashing about in the woods, she decided the outside wasn't so great after all and returned to the motorhome, where my wife quietly let her back inside.
I arrived back at the site, soaking wet, (it had rained the night before) and bleeding like a stuck pig on my legs from the palm fronds. All my wife could do was shake her head.
Damn cat!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #9

Cats are fast and it's always possible one will try an escape. Our two cats will look out the door but don't seem to want to try to get out, just lucky, I guess.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:12 PM   #10

Ours is a "fraidy cat," so we had few worries about him going out on his own. We were concerned he might escape if he heard a loud noise when one of the passenger doors was open (Class C motorhome). We instituted a cat-check go-no go checkpoint: We did not put the motorhome in gear until we had our hands on, or could see, the cat after the doors were closed.

Mark
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #11

Cats

Our two cats where raised in the RV, I have trained them to walk outside in harnesses, but they would rather not walk around on a leash. Most of their time is spent laying on the dash watching what is going on.

We come and go and they have no interest in dashing out the door. Both seem to spend their time playing between the front windshield and privacy curtain.
They have a fascination with the splattered bugs on the outside of the windshield.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dr. Barrys Iphone 236.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	109585  
Old 10-14-2015, 01:14 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
What I found that helped with all doors (motorhome and regular house) is to make a real racket when you come inside. Use plastic bags and shake them loudly, or other loud sound as you walk in the door. Every time. They will naturally back away from the noise, and thus the door. With repetition, it becomes a habit to then back away from the door as it's being opened.

Of course, after you come inside wait a little bit, then spoil the heck out of them - chin rubs, head pats, treats, etc.

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:53 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We travel with 7 of the little pistols...and a bird. This last trip two of them got out into the dark night. I think they were after a bug, hit the screen door and the door flew open. They didn't go far, Bob pulled his usual escape behavior (sat under the nearest bush and cried) and Fred waited till the door opened and bolted back inside.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
All ours are indoor only but tried to escape at first. They were not happy campers when we first took them with us. A spray bottle of clean fresh water convinced them to stay inside when someone entered and exited. Now they're seasoned travelers and don't even go near the door.

Tags
cat