Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2018, 11:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wick View Post
Thanks for the info I checked it out and it looks good. My girl is a solid 10 lb normal sized cat. The measurements on this are about the same as the measurements on her open box but I like the fact that it has a lid. Think it's tall/big enough for her?
I think it would work well in my RV.
Thanks again for the help.... we've only been in the RV for a month now and she is finally is settling in and getting back to her normal cat like self. Lots of new noises for her!
Best travels to you and your family, furry or not!
Dan
I think it would work for her size. Our Millie is an 8 lb wonder cat.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2018, 01:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee744 View Post
We just took delivery of our TT, it looks like the only place is in the shower. they travel in the truck with us and a dog. Never camped with them so I am sure it will be interesting. Wondering about a screen room tent for them outdoors. anyone done that?
The cat will get out under the side walls unless they are sown to a floor like a tent. Been there, done that. My room has no floor.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:03 PM   #17

I think it depends on the RV. I was worried about mine and had a close look. I have flush floor slides and when closed they are close to the floor and have another part blocking any egress. In the bedroom there isn’t enough space for them to get someplace tricky to try to get them out of also my kitten is 6 mos. if he was a younger/smaller kitten it might be a problem. I have more of a problem keeping him off the top of the valences.

We also make sure we have the cats accounted for and contained while moving the slide. It could set them off on a terror induced spree of tearing around crazily which is dangerous.

Basically every RV and cat is different. You will want to have a close look for any places they can get into as well, the toe kick under our kitchen peninsula is off and it’s a pretty big spot to get into. No access to outside though it is attached to the slide and moves so not a good place to be.

Keeping track of their toys and accounting for them so they don’t get jammed in the slide is a good idea. Some slides it will knock them off track others it will just smash the toy and get stuck. Ours will destroy anything in its path and keep right on going.

The most dangerous place on our camper is under the rocker recliner. It’s an older style and worry about them getting something chopped off. I’m going to sew a skirt to the hoop base and recliner cover.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
I think it depends on the RV. I was worried about mine and had a close look. I have flush floor slides and when closed they are close to the floor and have another part blocking any egress. In the bedroom there isn’t enough space for them to get someplace tricky to try to get them out of also my kitten is 6 mos. if he was a younger/smaller kitten it might be a problem. I have more of a problem keeping him off the top of the valences. [emoji23]

We also make sure we have the cats accounted for and contained while moving the slide. It could set them off on a terror induced spree of tearing around crazily which is dangerous.

Basically every RV and cat is different. You will want to have a close look for any places they can get into as well, the toe kick under our kitchen peninsula is off and it’s a pretty big spot to get into. No access to outside though it is attached to the slide and moves so not a good place to be.

Keeping track of their toys and accounting for them so they don’t get jammed in the slide is a good idea. Some slides it will knock them off track others it will just smash the toy and get stuck. Ours will destroy anything in its path and keep right on going.

The most dangerous place on our camper is under the rocker recliner. It’s an older style and worry about them getting something chopped off. I’m going to sew a skirt to the hoop base and recliner cover.
I have two open spaces on the side of my bed when the bedroom slide is out. Goes into an area where they can access the engine from inside. I found out these were there the hard way...... couldn't find my cat for about 45 minutes and I was kind of freaking out as I knew she was inside.[emoji30] Had to lift up the bed to get her out. Her little head was right next to the scissor mechanism for lifting the bed[emoji27]. It was her first day of the RV and she was really scared. Had to rest the bed on top of my head and climb into grab her. Found a big sheet of 4 inch foam at a fabric store and custom cut a piece for each side. Look like giant jigsaw puzzle pieces. I now close the bedroom door behind me when I am moving the slide out until I get the foam into the holes and covering them. Then I let her in. Works great she can't pull them out and she can't get in..... she gave up trying after about 2 days and now doesn't even show any interest.[emoji847][emoji847]
Dan Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:16 PM   #19

That is scary. I would have been terrified. I had a time where I couldn't find Pete the cat and he was up on the pull out ottoman inside the motorized couch. We had to wait until he made his way out. That whole set up is a cat decapitator. We had only had Pete a few weeks and he wasn't trained to come to the shake treats. Its a plastic container of cat crack. He is better now to roll out of wherever he is and show up for a treat. lol

Because of my jerk cat Frank that stays at home I now use tile mate trackers. He is the only cat allowed outside for a few hours during the day. Occasionally we will not be sure if he is outside or inside. Any other time calling and shaking the treats and opening cat food he comes running. Except...when he knows we are worried he is outside in the dark. I swear we can hear him laughing at us as we comb the neighborhood and he is camped out somewhere in the house. One time he was in plain sight. Now it is my fault I walked past him twice sitting on the stool at the end of the island and didn't notice him. When I walked past him the third time and noticed him I swear he smirked a little. haha

With the tile tracker it helps to get you near the tile and with more people paired to the tile it gets picked up pretty quick if it has been out of range. It also is supposed to use cloud sourcing to narrow in on the tile but I'm not sure how that is possible if it connects by BT so it wasn't really a selling point.
The other night when I couldn't find him I could see he was nearby but couldn't find him. I made his tile sound off and Pete came running to help me find him. Because Frank is grey he is a little difficult to find even in the house.

I got 4 tile mates and a free google home mini wiretap from Bestbuy. The camping kitty gets to wear a tile too.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:36 AM   #20

Best piece of advice I got about traveling with a cat was to always know where the cat is anytime you are going in or out the door and to always put them in their carrier before the sides go in or out.

Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wick View Post
What's some good suggestions for the cat box? Read all sorts of different things from behind couches to underneath counters to custom cubby holes. Right now I have a standard size house litter box sitting in front of the vanity in my bathroom.
It works well for her but not so much for me kind of in the way.
Any input?
Is there such a thing as an RV cat box?
We use the Breeze pellet system for both home and the MH for our cats. It works well, the cats use it fine, and you don't end up with clay / litter tracked all over the place. Once a week, we change the pads and about every 3 - 4 weeks, put new pellets in the box. A very clean system and not really that much more expensive to maintain than a traditional litter system.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, cat