Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2018, 09:26 PM   #1

Citronella bark collar

We had so much trouble at our dogs barking at everything. We bought a collar that spritzed citronella when they bark. They hate the smell & don’t bark. It works like a charm. You have to fill it up infrequently from a small canister. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0247.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	219614Attachment 1
The small opening is where it’s sprays & the larger one is where you fill it.
tundranurse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2018, 09:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
These can be very effective in many cases. In some, much less so. Been there, done that.

I think the only drawback is if the use of this collar causes a lot of Citronella to be sprayed in the coach. That might be undesirable to some.

In some cases you might need to shave/trim hair on the neck to let the spray get past the fur. We had to do that.

There are a few variations on how to use them. We used one with a remote control for issues not related to barking. As an example, it can be used in some cases to teach a dog not to eat poop. (yuck!) HOWEVER...if the dog is very tall when they tilt the head down it uncovers the reservoir port and this won't work. That is usually not an issue for a barking dog.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Gross. I hate the smell of citronella and I wouldn't want it sprayed on my dog.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:26 AM   #4

I had a next door neighbor years ago who tried to cure his dog of barking. He tried everything he could think of including a citronella collar.
The dog soon learned the device would spray him when he barked. It reduced his barking somewhat but if he really felt the need to bark he learned to bark and then immediately jump backwards to avoid the spray. It was fun to watch, at least from my perspective.[emoji16]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:05 AM   #5

I think bark collars should be mandatory on owners. Kind of like the anklets they put on people out on parole. Check in at the campground with a dog, and you have a bark collar put on the owners.

Of course, the collar must be tied into Bluetooth/WiFi/cellular, so it works when the owner is away and the dog left in the RV.

Not sure how many owners could carry around the 55 gallon drum some of them would need for enough spray though.

I could think of some other options other than citronella for the odor........
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
My Brussels Griffon loved the stuff would bark just to ge sprayed
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
I think bark collars should be mandatory on owners. Kind of like the anklets they put on people out on parole. Check in at the campground with a dog, and you have a bark collar put on the owners.

Of course, the collar must be tied into Bluetooth/WiFi/cellular, so it works when the owner is away and the dog left in the RV.

Not sure how many owners could carry around the 55 gallon drum some of them would need for enough spray though.

I could think of some other options other than citronella for the odor........
They called River the terrorist dogClick image for larger version

Name:	0704110920.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	225783
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote