Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2019, 03:10 PM   #1

Crate Train or House break?

I just got a Yorkie pup, this is my second Yorkie. She is 10 weeks old and is about 80% crate trained. I have never had a dog that was crate trained, our previous Yorkie was house broken. This one, Chewie, will go into her crate to pee during the day. But will only poo in it if I put her in it and close the door. I don't mind her peeing in the crate during the day but would like to have her poo outdoors. Is it possible to train them both ways? I don"t want to confuse her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chewie.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	232582  
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #2

We kept our puppies in the crate and as soon as they woke up, picked them up and put out side. Never let their feet touch the ground. Did the same after feeding and playing. Only time they ever went in the house was if they were sick. They loved the RV and never went in it! Hope this helps.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:07 PM   #3

Crate is meant to be their safe place where they relax.

As said above, while house training, as soon as they exit the crate should go outside with huge praise when eliminating outside.
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
crates for our dogs are a safe space to rest.
house training to go to the door can be done in one weekend.
it takes TIME and effort on the owners part as well as positive reinforcement and a willing pup not scared.

wake it up, say lets go out outside and do business.

take dog out
bring in and praise and feed, 20 mins later take it to the door and say lets go do business.
go out and only let it do its business, no play
come back in and play and reinforce the good behavior.
repeat this every 20 minutes, except the feeding part. and only play inside. dogs are smart
we had a yorkie that was the crime boss and ran the rottie and Sheppard mix like they were his mules.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:25 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. For the most part that is what I have been doing. I take her out first thing in the morning. I have been letting her out of the crate and letting her walk out with me. Starting tomorrow I will carry her out. During the day she will go to the door and whine to go out but all she wants to do is play. After 30 to 40 minutes outside I bring her in and she goes into her crate and pees. I guess I will keep at it. She is very smart. She is also very quiet absolutely no noise at night and very little during the day.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:28 PM   #6

Things may be improving. This morning I took her out of her crate and carried her outside. She peed and pooed within a couple of minutes. This evening after she had a long nap I did the same thing with the same results. We will see tomorrow, thanks again.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:51 AM   #7

The best tip I ever got on house training was to have the dog on a long lead attached to me while in the house. I got like a 12 foot lead and looped it through a belt loop. Almost all dogs ted to wander off to find a spot to eliminate. You are MUCH more aware of their attempts to wander off when you feel the tug from the lead. Then it's outside right away!

We kept this up religiously for 2 weeks. Worked better than I could ever have imagined.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:46 PM   #8

Crate train

I have never heard of crate training being to train the puppy to pee in the crate. To me crate training is conditioning the dog to lie quietly in the crate when you are not interacting with it. I certainly do not want the dog to lie in its own pee or poop.

The crate is my dogs' safe space where only good things happen. I use crate training as a complement to house training, since puppies don't like to eliminate where they sleep, you can more easily detect when they need to go outside (where they should do their business). When I am house training I try never to give the dog a chance to make a mistake, which means they are always crated or under direct observation. You should easily learn to read the dog and know when it needs to go out.

Never, ever punish the dog for a mistake in the house. Instead roll up a newspaper and pop yourself on the nose for being inattentive. If you punish the animal, you will just create a sneaky pooper.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:12 PM   #9

X2! That's how we do it!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:57 PM   #10

Things are improving. She is pretty good about pooping outside, but she will go into her cage and pee before I can get out of my chair. Her bed is in the front of the cage and she pees in the back of the cage. Maybe I need a smaller cage. Or should I close the cage door during the day. I put a blanket over the top and sides of her cage when we go to bed at around 10. Tonight I put the blanket over her cage at 7 and she went to bed on her own.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:45 AM   #11

I have a 4 month old Maltese we're working on house breaking, we have the smallest crate you can get. No separate bed in it, just a couple blankets along with the crate cushion she sleeps on. The crate is only for sleeping in.

We do use a dog pen, it's 36" x 36", we put her in it when we can't watch her. It has a bed in it. Gives her room to walk around a bit.

Never heard of training a dog to pee in their crate, supposedly they will not pee in their crate if it's the right size. I have heard of pad training. We were told our Maltese was pad trained when we got her from the breeder at 12 weeks, we decided we did NOT want to use such and are working on housebreaking. Doing okay but she still has a mistake every couple days, all the rain, snow, and cold we've had make it tough. Got to watch her like a hawk. Seems it's more that you have to train yourself more then the dog. If we take her out when she's go to go she goes outside, if we don't take take her out at the right time, she goes inside. I can see why folks wait till spring to get a dog.

Good luck, Chewie will get there.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:48 AM   #12

Crate train

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
Things are improving. She is pretty good about pooping outside, but she will go into her cage and pee before I can get out of my chair. Her bed is in the front of the cage and she pees in the back of the cage. Maybe I need a smaller cage. Or should I close the cage door during the day. I put a blanket over the top and sides of her cage when we go to bed at around 10. Tonight I put the blanket over her cage at 7 and she went to bed on her own.

If the crate is too large, put something in it to block off part of it - a concrete block, block of wood, or whatever will give the puppy just enough room to lie comfortably. Before doing so throw out the old bedding and pads, and wash the pan with bleach. Dog's sense of smell is a gazillion times greater than ours and merely washing the bedding will bot be enough. Dogs will go where they have gone before, and they use their sense of smell to know where that is.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacerm View Post
If the crate is too large, put something in it to block off part of it - a concrete block, block of wood, or whatever will give the puppy just enough room to lie comfortably. Before doing so throw out the old bedding and pads, and wash the pan with bleach. Dog's sense of smell is a gazillion times greater than ours and merely washing the bedding will bot be enough. Dogs will go where they have gone before, and they use their sense of smell to know where that is.
Thanks. The crate came with a divider that will install. That will leave just enough room for her bed. I think the problem started with the breeder keeping the pups in a crate with pads. I got her from a local home breeder not a puppy mill or pet store. I am sure she did this to keep the pups from mauling her grandson that is just crawling. Yorkie pups can be little terrors. I got this pup at 10 weeks. I wanted one younger but no one in this area would sell them younger. My last Yorkie I got at 5 weeks and she was very easy to train. We will get there with time and patience. Thanks all.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:55 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
By now I am sure you have figured out that you were confused as to what "crate trained" was referring to. The dog has been taught to relieve itself in the crate which is exactly what you do not want. It is going to be very difficult to change this habit but not impossible. Start by eliminating all possibility of odor from the crate. Next reduce the size (replacing with a smaller one if needed) by blocking off all but an area large enough for the dogs bed (not to large) and for it to be able to easily turn around. Crates often come with a wire panel that can be used to adjust the size as a dog grows.
The next thing I would do is to move the kennel to a different spot if possible. This does not need to be to another room but just relocate. You are trying to reprogram the dog to forget about something that is has already learned so it may be slow but not impossible. I would start feeding it in the crate (no water bowl) and always put it in the crate when leaving the home or even possibly when going to bed if it can not be trusted. It will soon (as others mentioned) learn that this is a haven from all things scary and upsetting.
One very important thing to do in all training is to be very consistent. If you are confusing the dog it will never learn how to please you. Always use the same commands for each thing you are trying to teach it such as saying kennel whenever you want it to enter its cage for any reason. You will no you have been successful when you put on you jacket to go away and the dog is already sitting in it's kennel waiting.

Best of luck...