Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #1

Diesel Pusher and cats question

We travel with our 2 cats and have for the last 11 years in our class A gasser. Well now we have a new to us DP, so here's the question:
Have you done anything to cover all the buttons and switches on the console left of the driver? Seems like it would be pretty easy for one of them to push one of them while stepping down from the dash.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2015, 01:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hasn't been a problem. We have two cats also.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:25 PM   #3

Shouldn't be too much of a problem, but if you are concerned about it, you can mount a small plexiglass panel with hinges to the side wall and spacers that keep it off of the switches.

On a side note, we travel periodically with one or two cats, the rest we leave at home, where do you put the cat box?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #4

Good question. In the gas coach it fit neatly into a space right behind the passengers seat facing the wall. Cats had privacy and all was good. Not sure exactly where we'll have it in the DP yet.

I read some posts about odor and such.. but we have never had that problem at all using clumping litter and scooping daily, sometimes twice.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:32 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I was able to train our cats to stay away from the drivers station when we are moving (basically any time I'm in the drivers seat). I did this by making them unwelcome anytime they entered my area.

However, one time we stopped for a quick snack at a rest stop, I did not turn the engine off while we were in the kitchen getting something to eat. All of a sudden I could feel the coach go into gear. I went to the front and found a cat standing on the transmission control pad. The brakes held the coach firm, but now we keep a close watch on the cats during the few times I step away from the controls with the engine idling.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoon View Post
I was able to train our cats to stay away from the drivers station when we are moving (basically any time I'm in the drivers seat). I did this by making them unwelcome anytime they entered my area.

However, one time we stopped for a quick snack at a rest stop, I did not turn the engine off while we were in the kitchen getting something to eat. All of a sudden I could feel the coach go into gear. I went to the front and found a cat standing on the transmission control pad. The brakes held the coach firm, but now we keep a close watch on the cats during the few times I step away from the controls with the engine idling.
Okay Terry, pleas take this in the spirit in which it is given, but you used the words "train" and "cats" in the same sentence . . . I'm pretty sure that's against the law, at least the law of common sense! The only success I've ever had with training cats was trying to get them to do something that they really wanted to do anyway!

On the cat pan, we had considered actually making a pathway through the floor in the bedroom into one of our small storage bays that is isolated from the rest of the underneath storage, but I'm hesitant to do that yet. It would make changing the cat box a snap, just open the outside bay door and there it is, but I haven't convinced myself that I really want to be cutting a hole in the floor of the coach.

On the smell, we use clumping litter as well, and scoop regularly, so we've not had a problem do date.

Take care with your cat menagerie and motor on!
Old 08-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #7

I have a question that I hope will not offend. Why do you travel with your cats roaming around while you are moving?? I know it may seem fine however. If you are in an accident etc how are you going to contain them for removal quickly or heaven forbid they just run away??
We have seen situations where after an accident people are searching desperately for their pet. Also if you are incapacitated people on scene may not be able to help them. If they are in a carrier then they can quickly be helped.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoon View Post
Same here. Train them (read: scare the daylights out of them) the first time and ours never tried it again. Its a big no no to be around the driver while underway. I am more concerned about when set up for the night. Accidentally turning on the docking lights in the middle of the night is something I would be concerned about.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:32 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I made a hole in the floor. A few pieces of wood made a walkway down into the storage bay below. Easy to clean the litter box from the outside (with the floor hole closed off of course).
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #10

If you have the push/pull parking brake knob on that side we learned in a seminar to put a clothes pin under the knob, around the shaft so it can't be pushed down, releasing the brake.. We have a dog and we use the clothes pin when ever we stop.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
I have a question that I hope will not offend. Why do you travel with your cats roaming around while you are moving?? I know it may seem fine however. If you are in an accident etc how are you going to contain them for removal quickly or heaven forbid they just run away??
We have seen situations where after an accident people are searching desperately for their pet. Also if you are incapacitated people on scene may not be able to help them. If they are in a carrier then they can quickly be helped.
Ron or Linda (I'm not sure to whom I am responding), you raise a very good point. We elect to let the cat or cats roam freely. Yes, we do incur some increased risk due to this. The potential is there that they can get under the brake pedal, although it's not likely. The potential is also there that they may get loose out of the coach. Once again, that is not likely with the cats we choose to take with us. We have 7 cats total, but do not take some of them with us due to their known proclivities toward certain unwanted behavior. We generally take only one at a time as well. They are vaccinated, and we carry records with us, and in the unlikelihood that they DO get out, they are all chipped, so it improves the chance we will get them back. Yes I know we are taking certain risks, and some may consider that to be irresponsible, but it is our choice to make and for others, it is their choice to make. I am not offended, I appreciate your bringing it up for discussion, but those are the choices we have made. Others may respond or chose differently. Take care,
Old 08-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've had a couple of occasions where one of our Japanese Bobtails (JBT's) has shifted the Allison into neutral. They don't seem to be heavy enough to move any of the others, but they're only 6-8#'s too. Our almost 13# JBT has never wondered over there while moving so no problem. None of our cats are heavy enough to push the brake button in. Big dogs are a different story though!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
I agree, not only cats but pets in general should ride in a carrier. Our old cat does not like her carrier a lot but as stated, in an emergency they need to be in a spot where they can be handled easily.

Side note, we have started using a product called Fenatyl. It is either in a plug in atomizer or pump spray. It is kinda like a ***** Vallium. Have found it keeps her much calmer during travel. Most veterinarians carry it.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:59 PM   #14

When I was out messing with the sewer hose after dark a few years back, the left docking lights came on. I thought it was very considerate of my wife to make it brighter outside. Nope ... the cat had been trying to see what was going on and stepped on the switch.

As to the litter box, we have it under the vanity sink behind a closed door. The cat has learned to open the door, go inside and do the scratching around thing and leave. He seldom bothers to close the door however (as in never).
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, diesel