Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2021, 12:41 PM   #15

Crate or harness....not free roaming
Emergency stops, sudden maneuvers, accident/wreck----flying dogs which can injure/kill them and/or others

Anxiety...thunder shirts, meds from vet etc
Those you have to try/decide which works best---each pet is different
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2021, 12:46 PM   #16

We have a small terrier that we brought home as a 7 week old puppy when we lived on our 41 ft sundeck trawler (boat). He was NEVER nervous on the boat with the engines running or under way. He didn't know any better at the time. We have since moved off the boat and sold it. He was somewhat nervous at first while traveling in our Class A gasser. It took him a few trips to get used to driving in the RV. Last summer we traded it on for the Tiffin Phaeton we now own. He freaked out when I first started the diesel the first time. He was not sure what was going on. He got used to it after a few minutes and was OK after that. The first drive he sat in my wife's lap nervous the whole time. The next drive he was fine and has been ever since. This is our (and his) home full time and he has gotten used to it. As we put the rig together to drive he sits in the front passenger's seat out of the way until we pull in the slides. This has been his doing, not any training on our end. It is nice as he knows the routine we go through to get ready to move. (he figured the same thing out on his own on the boat also)

This dog is not scared of lightning or fireworks. I believe it was the vibrating of the whole rig that freaked him out and not the turbo until he learned to understand it was OK. He is trained to stay out from under my seat and legs and off the dash while the engine is running. At least half the time we are driving he is asleep in his dog bed. This is no different if we are in our car with him.

Your pup might get used to it after a few trips as ours has.

Good luck!
ClassAboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:47 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've never encountered a flying dog, so I can't comment on that.

Try spending time in your coach when you aren't travelling in it. Feed the dog in there when you're on the driveway. They'll eventually get used to it. Agree with not giving him incentive to act nervous in the coach. Don't give snacks or hugs at the first sign of trouble.
Old 07-12-2021, 12:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
I've never encountered a flying dog, so I can't comment on that.

Try spending time in your coach when you aren't travelling in it. Feed the dog in there when you're on the driveway. They'll eventually get used to it. Agree with not giving him incentive to act nervous in the coach. Don't give snacks or hugs at the first sign of trouble.

Do you wear a seat belt?
WHY?
Should you provide same level of safety for your loved ones.....humans/pets?
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:59 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Do you wear a seat belt?
WHY?
Should you provide same level of safety for your loved ones.....humans/pets?

You missed the joke, but to answer your concern, I always remind my dog to buckle up.

That was another joke.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
There's another product called Thunder Wunder that has a slight amount of CBD and some other calming substances. It's in a treat form and our anxious Boston loves em. It's not perfect all the time but mostly it keeps her calm and relaxed during the drive.
CBD has great effect. More so than snake oil ever did.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:37 PM   #21

Dogs are "den" animals.

Crate train the one that panics - if the dog has a den to hide in he'll be much calmer.

You may notice that dogs will hide when thunder sounds. That's the den instinct - someplace low, covered, boxed on three sides. A crate can work wonders...

Maybe you can skip the drugs by giving the dog what he naturally will trust?

In one trailer we had a dinette where the seat could be lifted for storage. The side panel of the seat was easy to knock our and placing a favorite towel in the "cave" was all out dog needed to find a place to rest that was not under our feet. Win-Win.
Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:37 PM   #22

My thoughts are to try and isolate what causes the stress first. Maybe take him into the RV sitting still and let him get used to it. Then run the engine but don't move. Then put him in a crate with a blanket over it and drive around. Maybe introduce white noise with an app on the phone. Once you figure out if it is the noise, movement or combination, you might be able to ease him into it better so it's less stressful.
Raider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:02 PM   #23

You didn't mention how he reacted once you were at your destination, did he settle down or was he nervous the whole trip? Was it as bad on the return trip? Is he nervous outside when the engine is running? Inside with the engine running but not moving, or just when moving? All these are clues as to whether or not it's sound related. If it is, I wonder if there's a way to dampen or change the pitch of the whine.

It could be that he expects cars and trucks to move, but, if "houses" move, something must be terribly wrong. In this case, he should gradually get used to it, especially once he learns that a lot of fun lies at the end of the journey.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:19 PM   #24

My Lab gets really worked up over a ride in the truck or a car. She is really excited - going somewhere in the truck is just the greatest thing! She paces, whines, and yips for the first hour or so. it is just too shrill and loud for me! CBD treats help, and if she has had a chance to exercise before we leave that helps too.

It is not fear or distress - she is just too excited to be still.

I wish you luck in finding a solution.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Class a diesel pusher.

I have 2 golden doodles...

One dog sits comfortably, mopes around, goes to sleep...

Other dog is in full on panic. My wife has to hold him, caressing him, as he literally shakes the whole drive...

He’s fine in cars, minivans, etc...

Thought the turbo may be audible to him, but the other dog couldn’t care less...

Any thoughts appreciated...

He’s only been on one trip, I hope he “gets used” to it...
Took ours to the vet for similar reasons, prescribed Trazadone for him for the trip. It calms him down and he rests comfortably while we drive. When we get to the destination he’s fine while we’re there.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
You didn't mention how he reacted once you were at your destination, did he settle down or was he nervous the whole trip? Was it as bad on the return trip? Is he nervous outside when the engine is running? Inside with the engine running but not moving, or just when moving? All these are clues as to whether or not it's sound related. If it is, I wonder if there's a way to dampen or change the pitch of the whine.

It could be that he expects cars and trucks to move, but, if "houses" move, something must be terribly wrong. In this case, he should gradually get used to it, especially once he learns that a lot of fun lies at the end of the journey.
He was fine once we got to the destination... he only freaks out while the motor is on... I think it’s the noise, maybe?
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
He was fine once we got to the destination... he only freaks out while the motor is on... I think it’s the noise, maybe?
Inside and outside? Or just inside? The noise would be present inside and outside.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:33 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Everyone has a different take on this...

A dog trainer we had went over travel safety.. doggy seatbelt and harness etc..
A crate in vehicle is another projectile.. Fastening the crate can help.. the dog or cat can still get tweeked in a large crate..

Most larger RV/Coaches.. like the party bus, people . pets roam around.. personally we limit it to wifes emergency potty breaks..

My 3 Siberians lay on floor etc.. I am strapped in and is my wife 80% of the time.. I am not going to debate the safety crash ratings of an RV.. I ran a towing company and have seen some OK things and some things that if i thought long enough about.. I would not leaving any living thing not strapped into the front seats and those I wonder about...

As for a wild one,, I have one ny new female rescue takes about 30-45 minutes to settle in as she is new to the RV travel.. the 2 boys, have there spots and dont move other than for a drink and to go out at gas stops...

the jacket gizmos and even some mild training, new toy etc.. My lil female spent her first weekend away from us with my brother,, she was fine with him on a short visit. Well the drop off and 3 hours of pacing, not happy etc.. He got here to jump up into his 8" lifted F250 and took her to Petsmart up the road.. took her in, the counter girls loved here, took her for a walk in the store, she came back to my brother with a toy.. He went home she played with the toy and was like an angel.. LOL
Sometimes you just need to find that trick,.... or treat... LOL

good luck with the animals..and Rving..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, dog