Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2021, 07:15 PM   #1

Dog advice needed...

Class a diesel pusher.

I have 2 golden doodles...

One dog sits comfortably, mopes around, goes to sleep...

Other dog is in full on panic. My wife has to hold him, caressing him, as he literally shakes the whole drive...

He’s fine in cars, minivans, etc...

Thought the turbo may be audible to him, but the other dog couldn’t care less...

Any thoughts appreciated...

He’s only been on one trip, I hope he “gets used” to it...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2021, 07:25 PM   #2

We have a Shi Tzu that can't handle turbo whine. You are not alone.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:29 PM   #3

Neighbors,Golden Doodle, wandered into my yard , with a downtrodden look , I’d never seen him out of their yard , except on a leash .
Took a piece of rope and walked him home , owner was using a pressure washer on his deck , his wife said, dog is afraid of water and the noise!
I said we needed to cancel his breeding certificate!
Offered to keep him till the pressure washer was shut off. Curled up at my feet, in my nice quiet yard.

Hopefully yours calms down soon!
Old 07-11-2021, 07:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We traveled with dogs, I mean ~+15 different dogs over the years, maybe more. My wife has a separate crate for the dogs that they travel in, this is for their safety and ours. They sleep, eat, and travel in the crates so it provides a "safe" place for them.

She does have formal training in behavior modification. The one thing she won't do is provide attention to a "needy" dog, it reinforces the bad behavior.

She provides them with chew bones or toys to keep them occupied. You can get a Kong toy that is hollow inside and stuff it full of peanut butter, it takes a while for them to get it all out.

You might try a "thunder" wrap, this swaddles the dog and provides comfort.

She has had dogs with severe separation anxiety and has a last resort has resorted to medication. You might talk to your vet and see what they recommend.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:41 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Our little dog loves to ride in my truck and jeep. She gets very nervous and scared in motorhome. Would try to crawl under my feet even with her leash on and my wife holding her. After a couple of trips it finally hit me and we put her kennel in the motorhome. She was kennel trained but we never use it at home. She is still a little nervous starting out but will lay down and go to sleep now. If we stop for any reason we let her out and make a fuss over her. She's been doing great since we started this. Once we stop she's ready to go and no longer stressed out.

Good luck. One of the reasons we got our motorhome was so she could travel with us.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:05 AM   #6

bpu699, we travel in our 40 foot Winnebago coach with three greyhounds. Greyhounds are larger dogs of 60-80 lbs. Before our Class A, they travelled with us in our mega-cab RAM with fifth wheel.

One male always starts out the trip anxious. He paces, pants and drools. He gets better as the trip goes on and eventually lies down but is always anxious at the outset. (He is also thunder phobic.)

There are holistic calming remedies which you can research and use. Melatonin is one. I have not found these effective for our dogs.

We consultd with our veterinarian and -- in the worst cases of anxiety -- we have used a pre-surgical veterinary calming drug called aceprozamine. (1/2 of a 20 mg tablet) It makes him sleepy, so he lies down. We place it in a chunk of peanut butter and he eats it right down 2-3 hours before departure. It really takes the edge off his nerves, allowing him to travel for a few hours without high stress and get used to being back in the coach and traveling again. Your vet may recommend another medication which could help.
Larry
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:17 AM   #7

Not a motorhome, but in my RAM 2500 diesel my mini Aussie, who is scared to death of thunderstorms just goes to sleep in the back seat with my other dogs. Interesting since I just got back from a trip without my wife and daughter. That dog is my wife's "velcro" dog and I figured she'd be wreck but was not. Turbo noise, which is not any more or less noticeable to me than my class A diesel did not seem to bother her.

You might try something called a Thunder Jacket. We had one for our Golden who was a complete basket case during thunderstorms or fireworks. Supposedly it comforts them with a close fitting jacket. It did seem to work in our case.
jondrew55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:32 AM   #8

"Thunder Shirt" for Nervous Dogs

Some replies touched on the solution. Try the "Thunder Shirt" available at several pet stores and I believe can be ordered on line if size is an issue. We've used it on two of our previous Schnauzers and it works wonders.

Good Luck!
curbmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:00 AM   #9

This is not motorhome experience, but rather general driving experience. The Thunder jacket has helped a bit with calming our current cocker spaniel. For the most part, our dogs are usually pretty anxious at first, then they calm down. Current dogs get all excited if we have to slow down or stop for a traffic light.

Our first dog, also a cocker spaniel, and now our current cocker, 5-15 minutes after starting a journey, stop and take her to the bathroom. Both of them were going to poop, no matter when the last time they ate or pooped before. After that, they are usually much calmer.

If we had a motor home, I think our cocker for sure would like to be able to curl up in a crate for security if she couldn't be in my wife's lap. The springer spaniel would probably curl up on a dog bed on the floor between us.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:17 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
you can get doggie valium (or what ever - clonazipam?) from the vet. We used to do that when we were breeding and needed to calm down a male until, well you know. Anyway, it works.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:53 AM   #11

x2 on the ThunderShirt, Also, the ThunderEase pheromone calming spray, and a good quality pet CBD tincture. My Reggie doesn't like thunder, or the fireworks. The Thundershirt and spray do pretty well most of the time and last thunderstorm I added a dose of CBD. I get mine from https://www.phatbottomlabs.com/.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:23 AM   #12

Thanks guys, will look into all of this...

Hopefully it works!
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
you can get doggie valium (or what ever - clonazipam?) from the vet. We used to do that when we were breeding and needed to calm down a male until, well you know. Anyway, it works.
We got a new puppy in April of 20, and she was terrified of the RV. I can't say why except maybe she couldn't see out and didn't know what the heck was going on. We got some calming chews with melatonin and used them for a couple of trips, and she was fine after a while without them. It just took time and patience.
Old 07-12-2021, 12:21 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
There's another product called Thunder Wunder that has a slight amount of CBD and some other calming substances. It's in a treat form and our anxious Boston loves em. It's not perfect all the time but mostly it keeps her calm and relaxed during the drive.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, dog