Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2020, 01:52 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I hate chiwawas. ( SPELLED incorrectly on purpose ) Noisy and I've been bitten twice by them.
Keep your dogs tied up!
My female medium size dog has been attacked by larger males.
Keep your dogs tied up!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 02:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I hate chiwawas. ( SPELLED incorrectly on purpose ) Noisy and I've been bitten twice by them.
Keep your dogs tied up!
Keep your dogs tied up!
I don't care for any rodents on a leash. I really don't like them when they're not on a leash.[emoji2955]
[emoji40]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:15 PM   #31

We just returned from a 9 week - 7758 mile - trip from NC to Utah, Arizona and back down to Florida with our 70lb lab/boxer. Stayed in 22 campgrounds. I'm estimating that more than 70% of the RVers had dogs (except Moab...different bunch out there ). Every owner had their dogs on leash except for one. He was 2 sites over from us in Sedona and was warned by the CG that he would have to leave if caught unleashed again.

99% of RVing dog owners are responsible loving dog owners. But I can see how a dog can slip away by accident. OP, sorry for your unfortunate experience and glad your dog is ok.
Old 11-27-2020, 03:59 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Keep your dogs tied up!
Keep your dogs tied up!
You know, I used to hate em too. Never ran into one that liked me and like you, their constant barking was irritating.
That is until we wound up with one a couple years ago. The one that we have is a short haired and very small. This Chihuahua is well behaved, not aggressive at all and hardly ever barks.
It's hard for me to believe it is a Chihuahua. It looks like one but doesn't act like the ones that I've ran into in my past.
He is a little male and loves everybody.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:27 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Only one encounter with a dog attack. We were bank fishing, my GSD female was leashed with the loop over the front trailer ball on the MH. Up runs an unleaded black lab. He gets a little to personal with Cinder, and a fight breaks out. Cinder was unhurt but the lab suffered a large tear to his throat.

The owners came running, he picked up the dog and headed to their camper. She was so shook up and apologetic, I almost felt sorry for her. She wanted me to check my dog carefully and if there were any injuries, she would be happy to pay for them. She gave me a business card.

Cinder was fine, still tied up and a little excited. They left in a hurry to a vet. Never saw them again.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:34 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Funny reaction I had today. We rented a pontoon boat and as I was walking on the dock with our dog a smaller dog bolted out of one of the several house boats tethered at the same dock. I grabbed our dog & held her up high, out of reach of the smaller dog. The owner called her dog and it immediately returned to the house boat.

Picking up our dog may not be a good strategy if we are being approached by a bigger dog.
permitwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:13 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by permitwriter View Post
Funny reaction I had today. We rented a pontoon boat and as I was walking on the dock with our dog a smaller dog bolted out of one of the several house boats tethered at the same dock. I grabbed our dog & held her up high, out of reach of the smaller dog. The owner called her dog and it immediately returned to the house boat.

Picking up our dog may not be a good strategy if we are being approached by a bigger dog.

Might want to get a mobile portable protection cage for your dog ---attacked TWICE in just 4 days

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:42 PM   #36

Bad-actor animals are a direct reflection of the owner IMO.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:47 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Bad-actor animals are a direct reflection of the owner IMO.
To a point.. My trainer we had said he finds training the dogs easy but training the owners is at times the worst ever..

Years back he came to my auto shop. He delivered parts time for Honda.....

He had helped me with first husky we rescued from an SPCA that was going to be put down since it was neglected and abused.

Anyway he said next week I will have something for u to see.

His van puller up. Slide door opened. He brought parts in. My neighbor walked by asked him the are big dogs.
He called them in my office. Pointed to a corner where they sat. 2 black wolfs. Owner was a rich actor in nj.
They were trained on a Cherokee reservation. The listened . behaves. Would die in place for there alpha.
He said he had the m 4 days. Language was issue but they used standard hand commands. He said his big job was to train the staff.. To deal with the m. They desire a pack. The staff and expect to be lead..

Dogs are not wolfs but follow a pack life style. . you the owners need to control there actions either by training or restraint .
No bad dogs just bad owners. Has been said and IMO it is true. We put the dog into this situation...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:45 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Might want to get a mobile portable protection cage for your dog ---attacked TWICE in just 4 days

We have a cage I bought specifically to carry in the coach. It's a bit small but she fits. I could add wheels. However, we had never used it so it was one of the many things eliminated when I discovered we were 900 lbs. overweight. Still 100's over so I can't add it back in.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:23 AM   #39

Forest River Owners Club
Pepper spray. I am so tired of other people's dogs not being restrained and charging my dog that is on a leash in campgrounds, trails, etc. My new policy, pepper spray first.
creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:58 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was concerned about pepper spray overspray affecting my dog or even myself. But at Walmart tonight I saw pepper gel that avoids that problem. I didn't care for the bright pink canisters nor the lack of a price tag anywhere so I didn't buy any but there's a wide selection on Amazon.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:17 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by permitwriter View Post
I was concerned about pepper spray overspray affecting my dog or even myself. But at Walmart tonight I saw pepper gel that avoids that problem. I didn't care for the bright pink canisters nor the lack of a price tag anywhere so I didn't buy any but there's a wide selection on Amazon.
I'll have to check it out. I've never used mine and it's a couple of years old.

I did have one encounter with a stray Doberman when walking my Border Collie. He/she was curious but not aggressive and kept approaching us. I carry a squirt bottle filled with water to use when my dog misbehaves. I squirted water at the Doberman and it worked.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:40 AM   #42

mUSt bE spECial

Did you ever notice that no matter what forum board your on there is always problems with the dog owners and their dogs. With the un controlled barking, the women that take their little darling next door to the vacant lot and not pick it up when the dog drops his crap. The scary Rottweilers and German Shepherds that aren`t allowed but you bring them anyway because it`s me.

One issue after another.

So who`s at fault here? You are. But wait, yes it is me, but don`t care do you.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog