Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2020, 07:51 AM   #43

I have been lucky, only bitten once by a stray wild kitten, it didn't want to be picked up and I did, and it didn't go well.
32 years of linework having to go in yards and patrol wires in back yards, not one bite.
One person, as I was there alone to put meter box back on house after it needed to be floated to put on new siding, was not nice, I knocked on door, rang bell, cut meter seal, pulled meter and started to put one of 4 screws to hold box on house, round corner comes german shepard, with teeth and hare ablaze. Thank god, it didn't know what a cordless drill was, it kept at bay till I got over stone wall.
Called office and said they have no power, im not going back alone, they let the dog out on me.
Seen lots of dogs tied to meter bases thinking this will prevent shutting electric off for non payment/s. The look on there faces when one sets truck up at pole, or goes to underground transformer and kills the power there, is priceless.
I agree with another persons post, ask owner, go slow, let them sniff ya. Their is a leash rule where I am at now, but only applies to the ones that aren't in the cool crowd. Had to use disposable grilling scewers, with colored straws to mark the one neighbors dog poop, that the dog only pooped in my area. Very nice people, not responsible pet owners.
A small can of DPF bear spray is nice to have, if it works on bears, it will work on a dog, and great for personal protection.
Just don't waist it on the big guy that just won the hotwing eating contest.
travelorer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2020, 08:22 AM   #44

You are painting all dog owners with the same broad brush and this isn't correct. We have always had German Shepherd Dogs (GSD's), and do care about responsible behavior for us and the dog. We always leash our dog, we always pick up our dog's poop, we increase separation if an approaching dog is "unhappy", and we do not use RV campgrounds where our dog breed is restricted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHGTO View Post
Did you ever notice that no matter what forum board your on there is always problems with the dog owners and their dogs. With the un controlled barking, the women that take their little darling next door to the vacant lot and not pick it up when the dog drops his crap. The scary Rottweilers and German Shepherds that aren`t allowed but you bring them anyway because it`s me.

One issue after another.

So who`s at fault here? You are. But wait, yes it is me, but don`t care do you.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:31 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by permitwriter View Post
We have a cage I bought specifically to carry in the coach. It's a bit small but she fits. I could add wheels. However, we had never used it so it was one of the many things eliminated when I discovered we were 900 lbs. overweight. Still 100's over so I can't add it back in.
On second thought after reconsidering the idea......
If you did use the mobile cage to protect your dog most CG folks would jump to the conclusion that YOUR dog was aggressive, vicious, uncontrollable and would attack at first chance.

Sorry I brought the idea up
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:50 PM   #46

mUSt bE spECial

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
You are painting all dog owners with the same broad brush and this isn't correct. We have always had German Shepherd Dogs (GSD's), and do care about responsible behavior for us and the dog. We always leash our dog, we always pick up our dog's poop, we increase separation if an approaching dog is "unhappy", and we do not use RV campgrounds where our dog breed is restricted.
Well here`s one...... 9,078,245 to go. My experience is there are more of the others than people like you.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:41 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHGTO View Post
Well here`s one...... 9,078,245 to go. My experience is there are more of the others than people like you.

Not my experience in 40+ years of camping.
Majority of dog owners ARE responsible folks

If it was reversed.......bad dog owners were the Majority I dare say CGs would just NOT allow dogs period

It's those FEW that create issues for others.

Broad stokes.....yet only a few actual ARE the culprits
And that applies to all sorts of 'bad behaviors'
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:55 PM   #48

Howdy!

It’s good that you reported it to the campground. I would also report it to the local authorities also. They should do an investigation to see if the dog and owners have their pet up to day on its shots and if the pet has a history of this aggressiveness.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:21 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Not my experience in 40+ years of camping.
Majority of dog owners ARE responsible folks

If it was reversed.......bad dog owners were the Majority I dare say CGs would just NOT allow dogs period

It's those FEW that create issues for others.

Broad stokes.....yet only a few actual ARE the culprits
And that applies to all sorts of 'bad behaviors'
Good points.. I am a dog owner , 3 now.. sitting here with a 16 month old Siberian we just rescued.. 9 days now of introducing her to my 2 males 3 and 6 old.. others we had bonded in 30seconds, our new girl had a rough paper routes and has bagage..or deep cautions... So like people some are shy, some are loud, some are passive some are not.. Some like vanilla some chocolate.. Some like church, some strip clubs...Some like guns some dont....Some stay up late other do not....
RESPECT in the Human Race is the same in animal kingdom.. there are bad actors always..some place in the mix..
Thru my life I normally get along with 99% of the people I meet, some are not my type or interest and that is cool.. a few I can do without .. Some I may rub the wrong way ..

I rambling as this stuff about others likes vs someone's not just frosts my...

I know camping is all about relaxing or the get away.... When I want that total isolation, dont come near me place, quiet place, I want to walk around naked, or shoot my AR all nite... or let my Siberians tear rabbits in half...
I dont go to campgounds.. I may boondock in a remote area, of at my rural house that the closest neighbor is atleast 1/4mile away and the next once is over 1/2mile.. blah blah...

Respect each other, we all have rights and flex those... but we all are here for a good time.. it is all what we make of it.. You choose your day...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog