Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2020, 09:36 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dog Attack!!

Our 30 lb., 12-year-old border collie mix was attacked today in the campground by a much larger (and meaner) unrestrained dog. Thankfully, she’s ok. Her name is Chelsea. There was just one puncture wound on her shoulder. The vet shaved her, cleaned her up, put in one staple, and gave her an antibiotic & painkiller. They said there was no muscle damage.

I was just walking her around the campground like we have many times when the other dog came running up to her. They sniffed a little, one of the owners was running toward us screaming, a smaller dog was coming also & everything exploded. It all happened so fast. I tried to get Chelsea out of there, one owner tackled the big dog as the other owner arrived. But the big dog got ahold of Chelsea and wouldn’t let go. But we are so, so, so blessed that it barely had ahold of Chelsea and both owners got the big dog under control right away so it couldn’t do much shaking. I think her leash helped to protect her because it was damaged. It could have been much, much worse. The owners had 3 dogs unrestrained in direct violation of campground rules (and those rules exist in pretty much every campground). Their third dog was pretty big also, but it didn’t seem interested in fighting. The owners apologized but I didn’t say anything and got out of there quick.

Chelsea doesn’t seem to be bothered by it, but I’m still shook up 8 hours later and am afraid to walk her around the campground anymore. She’ll really miss that so maybe I’ll just stay close to our motorhome. I reported it to campground management. They seemed genuinely concerned and said they would take care of it.

We’re at Goose Pond Colony resort in Scottsboro, Alabama. We’ve been here before and always walk Chelsea around the campground (and most other campgrounds).

I guess this is a cautionary tale on both sides of the ball. That big dog is a huge liability. Had it turned on me and I was seriously hurt, the authorities would have destroyed that dog and the owners might have been sent to jail. It always must be kept under close control. I guess those of us with smaller dogs must be ever vigilant and ready to defend ourselves.
permitwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2020, 09:49 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My 105lb German Shepherd (on leash) was “attacked” by a loose 10lb fluff ball. It too happened fast. I was so worried about the little dog, but Ol Grandma Lalka just pinned the errant pooch on the ground with one paw and held it there til I could pick it up and return it to the owner.

The owner was apologetic and the little dog had a mouth full of German Shepherd hair, but luckily no harm done. A few years ago, when Lalka was having pups, it probably would have ended differently, but she has mellowed. So big or small, it’s always a risk to let dogs run in a camp ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8A695DC4-178F-4FB5-B7AB-E269203A4C42.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	309102   Click image for larger version

Name:	3543ECA5-BB54-48AA-8BC6-2BF21548D017.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	309103  

R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:09 PM   #3

OP....
I do hope you got the 'bad dog owners' names and have presented them with the VET BILL

Gotta hit them where it hurts ---in their wallet
Maybe it will be a 'learning opportunity' (lesson) for them!

Also file a report with the The Scottsboro Police Department
phone number is (256)574-3333.

BE PROACTIVE!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:18 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
THREAD WARNING!

This is a divisive topic. Discuss calmly & within our Community Rules. Absolutely NO post about guns or shooting anything will be tolerated!

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:47 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
My 105lb German Shepherd (on leash) was “attacked” by a loose 10lb fluff ball. It too happened fast. I was so worried about the little dog, but Ol Grandma Lalka just pinned the errant pooch on the ground with one paw and held it there til I could pick it up and return it to the owner.

The owner was apologetic and the little dog had a mouth full of German Shepherd hair, but luckily no harm done. A few years ago, when Lalka was having pups, it probably would have ended differently, but she has mellowed. So big or small, it’s always a risk to let dogs run in a camp ground.
Nice looking dogs. About the 10 pounder, you just can't fix stupid.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:58 AM   #6

Not to paint all small dogs with the same brush, but a similar thing happened to us years ago in a state park campground when two small dogs broke free of their owner's grip on their leashes and attached our leashed male GSD; reaching up and pulling clumps of hair. Our dog could have made short work of the little critters but fortunately did not. The owner was very apologetic, got her dogs under control, and gave us her card for contact in case there was any medical issue.

In this case, the other dog's owner was acting properly, but her dogs had other thoughts. Go figure.

Quote:

2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:02 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I’ve found that a lot of small dogs dont have any idea that there is a size difference or that it matters. Some of those little critters will open up a can of whup on anything..... Fortunately for that one, Lady Llaka treated it like an errant puppy, and not a threat or it would have ended differently.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:29 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Campground personnel must have a zero tolerance for biting/attacking. The place we go to does this. Within 30 minutes the owner of a biting dog was asked to leave. Some people think their dogs behave better when not leashed and it's less trouble for themselves, but you never know. All the attacks I've seen at our park have been uncontrolled dogs. I saw a pit bull pick up and shake a much smaller dog almost to death once...very disturbing.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:31 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Beautiful dog!
Old 11-24-2020, 03:39 PM   #10
YC1

After getting attacked twice we carry flashlights that have a siren button and if need 50K volts.

The last time our leashed dogs were attacked the campground owners booted them within the hour.

I just cannot figure out why some rules do not apply to dolts.

When a young teenager approached our cockers leashed I asked them to stop for a second. Giving my wife the leashes I walked up almost nose to nose with the young man and asked if he was "uncomfortable". Of course he said yes. I then backed up while explaining that he is five times the height of this little dog and you want to go nose to nose with him. The dog is not comfortable with this either.

So always ask the owners and let the dog sniff you first. Move slow. Any dog can trigger. I have the scars to prove it.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:32 PM   #11

I just don't understand dog owners who allow their dogs off-leash in campgrounds. And, generally it's not that they're so well-trained that leashes wouldn't be necessary were it not for the rules. Not only is it dangerous for other dogs and people, it's dangerous for their dog as well. That ball of fluff was very lucky.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:39 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by permitwriter View Post
I guess this is a cautionary tale on both sides of the ball. That big dog is a huge liability. Had it turned on me and I was seriously hurt, the authorities would have destroyed that dog and the owners might have been sent to jail. It always must be kept under close control. I guess those of us with smaller dogs must be ever vigilant and ready to defend ourselves.
You are amazingly gracious about the whole event, which should never have occurred. I'm with Old Biscuit on this. The owners of the dog that attacked need to be held accountable. Bad behaviors don't typically change if there is no accountability, so I would encourage you to think of all the other innocent dogs and owners you may help protect from future careless incidents by pressing the issue a bit.

[Mod Edit]

Hope for a full recovery for your Border Collie. They are wonderful dogs.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:35 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a real aversion to any dog off leash. Our standard schnauzer has been attacked 3 time, well now 4 times by a larger dog off leash. The last time I was knocked down and wound up at the emergency room with a cut elbow and numerous bruises and pulled muscles. Abby was fine, but we were off the road 3.5 weeks until I was healed enough to hook up the truck and trailer. 8 weeks later and still need a cane to help out. The dog getting out was purely accidental, so in this case you cannot blame the owner.

Since we seem to seek out the irresponsible dog owners, I now carry a 5 foot long walking stick that makes a great weapon. I hate to hurt a dog due to an irresponsible
owner, but I will defend myself and my dog.

If you are going to own a dog, please be responsible and leash them or confine them.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:55 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Many years ago, my wife was walking our medium size dog at a nearby park, on a leash. Our dog was attacked by a large mean Shepard. My wife attempted to break the attach and was bitten. Our dog died a few hours later, my wife went to the ER and was hospitalized in isolation for some strange infection.

A friend was her insurance agent. Cost the insurance company hospital cost, and we got a check for $4K. Her insurance company told her to put the dog down or they would cancel her policy.

Tags
dog