Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Contrary to some peoples belief little dogs can be trained to behave just like big ones. Next to us right now a couple has a Yorkie that is great. The only time we ever hear him bark is when they toss him a ball and he barks while having fun chasing it. He gets along great with our two that are 40 something pounds each but we know not to let the younger and more energetic one get to carried away. All three are always leashed with the exception of a fenced dog park. We will leave with them if there are any confrontations. Ours have never started any BTW.

I think the OP is doing what is good for his animal and other peoples as well. There is no reason for any dog to snarl, bark or show their teeth through the fence. "No no Foo Foo" doesn't work. Give them a stern NO and yank back on the collar. That is how we have to do it with large dogs. Be consistent and eventually the dog will know you are in charge. If that doesn't work buy a shock training collar. If that sounds cruel think about how nice it would be to have a large dog get nervous when attacked and injure your dog.

I see more of the dog parks have separate big and small dog fenced areas. This is a good thing not for aggression issues but as said you don't want a small dog injured playing with bigger one.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
That got a belly laugh out of me.
That's just what I hoped it would do.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
That's been my experience, too.
As a dog trainer, I can also attest to this. Dogs have a tendency to feel more tense and aggressive on leash than they do off of it - especially when the leash is tense. This relays your nervousness to your dog and often, when the leash is pulled taut, the dog exhibits tense behavior as well. Being on a leash can also make a dog feel defenseless, causing aggression. It is also common for them to feel more "connected" to you, which also causes protective behavior, leading to aggression.

Holding your dog on a loose leash can definitely help. But off-leash (ONLY if your trust your dog) is always better. I've seen perfectly calm, sweet, and friendly dogs get aggressive at the end of a tense leash.

My 2 cents.

Kady0590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kady0590 View Post
As a dog trainer, I can also attest to this. Dogs have a tendency to feel more tense and aggressive on leash than they do off of it - especially when the leash is tense. This relays your nervousness to your dog and often, when the leash is pulled taut, the dog exhibits tense behavior as well. Being on a leash can also make a dog feel defenseless, causing aggression. It is also common for them to feel more "connected" to you, which also causes protective behavior, leading to aggression.

Holding your dog on a loose leash can definitely help. But off-leash (ONLY if your trust your dog) is always better. I've seen perfectly calm, sweet, and friendly dogs get aggressive at the end of a tense leash.

My 2 cents.
I think your "2 cents" is right on the money.

It really is amazing how dogs pick up and reflect our emotions.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wonder if the "fight or flight" reflex has anything to do with the heightened senses on the leash. If leashed - the senses may say - hey - I got no choice here. I'm gonna have to stand my ground and defend my position and owner no matter what.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #48

I have two old english bulldogs (the sporting kind). Dog parks, runs are for dogs to socialize and play. At first i was nervous that they would hurt the smaller dogs with their rough play. But after I relaxed and just kept an eye on them, they soon got use to the others and all just mingled and sniffed and left their marks. Dogs sense when their owners are nervous. stay calm, take a deep breath and they'll do fine. If you own an aggressive dog, then maybe keeping them on a leash and going for long walks is best. For those with small breeds, as long as they are tough enough for the dog play, then go for it. If not, then take a long walk with them also.
mlynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

That's amazing. What argument can the owners of unleashed little dogs possibly use to blame you for the scuffle?

Rick
It's almost always that "their dog just came over to say 'hello' and that our dog(s) just attacked them for no reason" type of thing.

I don't know if its just a flip remark meant save face with others who's attention was caught by the ruckus, or they're just hard of hearing and couldn't hear their dog growling at ours.

I even had one lady get so upset she jumped in her golf cart and went out to the office to complain that my "vicious dog attacked hers"!! Someone had told her Jack Russell's are bred to kill foxes and vermin.

She looked pretty silly when the management showed up to investigate and one of the residents who saw the whole thing (and who knew a little about dogs) pointed out that a) HER dog started the tussle and was, as always, off-leash, and b) that her Cairn Terrier was also bred to kill vermin.

I was a gentleman though and suggested that the management not throw her out despite her vicious dog, so long as she agreed to obey the rules.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #50

I never take my dogs, (English Bulldogs), to any kind of dog park especially an off leash park. First, you never know the temperament of the other dogs or the intelligence of the owners and it only takes a couple of seconds for big dogs to cause major damage to each other.

Dog parks are also full of feces and unknown parasites and potential health problems from other dogs. IMO, my dogs and most others do not need doggie friends. That's a human projecting human traits to an animal.
speedpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We joined a private dog park that is owned and run by a local vet. All dogs are screened for personality and also the owner must show the dog is current on all vaccinations, on heart worm preventative and has the K-9 flu vaccination. Any dog that starts aggressive behavior is removed from the park and the membership is terminated.

Dogs being dogs, will occasionally have a snap or snarl to settle a minor differences which usually do not amount to anything. Some of the larger dogs do not realize how big they are, just as some of the smaller dogs do not realize how small they are. Anytime we are there when a unknown dog is brought in, we closely moniot our dog as well as the new dog to see that they get along OK.

In general, Abby (standard schnauzer) gets along with all dogs and has gotten over her initial timid behavior toward some dogs.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #52

My little guy has lots of doggie friends, knows them by name, and just goes crazy at the mere mention of some of their names.

He loves the 'free time' before & after his agility course work.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #53

Wow...this is always a hot button topic with people. I'm new to the forum but have been camping with my dogs for 17 years. First off my observations and experience with little dog owners have not been pleasant. We currently camp with our two Great Danes ( brother 180lbs, sis 140) and our 10lbs mini schnauzer. In the past it was our lab, dane and a schnauzer. Most of my contact with little dog owners at the dog park have not been pleasant, mostly due to the lack of socialization owners have given their dogs. I have found that too many owners treat their dogs like kids and they are not. With that said our pets are our family but they ARE dogs! They have instincts far more in tune with body language than us humans. The barking, growling is easy to pick up on....it's the dog stance, tail position, eye contact that MUST be caught early on and the owner had to be the ALPHA in "your pack".

Our Danes, have been at a dog park of some kind since they were 12 weeks old and live with a "Little dog" they love to play with all dogs. I find too many "little dog" owners think its cute to see their dog act tough, or bark and not listen to the owner when told to stop. Now I know their size scares some people until they meet them and they wanna lick them to death....Leo also at 180 is very protective if someone is wearing a hood or knocks on my door. Make sales visits at the house short...

Just my humble opinion from observations and experience....we all love out pets but bad behavior is bad behavior. If a short guys attacks a big guy it isn't looked at any differently. It's still assault and battery. I attached a photo my DW set me a while ago....not mine but funny.

Happy trails all
JD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1620194075.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	33238  
Jd-mpmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd-mpmt View Post
. Now I know their size scares some people until they meet them and they wanna lick them to death....Leo also at 180 is very protective if someone is wearing a hood or knocks on my door. Make sales visits at the house short...
Reminds me of a time in a previous life when we were up very late (3am) visiting with friends when someone POUNDED on my front door. My 180# Dane hit the door hard... barking loudly all the while... rattling every window in the house.

All we could hear from the other side of the door was some wacko screaming "Oh gawd man... DON'T open the door... Don't open the door!

Just have to love a Dane's bark.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedpeddler View Post
I never take my dogs, (English Bulldogs), to any kind of dog park especially an off leash park. First, you never know the temperament of the other dogs or the intelligence of the owners and it only takes a couple of seconds for big dogs to cause major damage to each other.

Dog parks are also full of feces and unknown parasites and potential health problems from other dogs. IMO, my dogs and most others do not need doggie friends. That's a human projecting human traits to an animal.
Awesome! Thank you and I happen to agree with you.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #56

Gadget & speed peddler.....you said and agree with this?

It sounds like the projecting is your own fear of germs...they are pack animals, it is their nature, it's not a "doggie friend" dating site.... As an owner it is your responsibility to watch an train your animals and have them vaccinated. I thought that was most of the thread was the failure of some owners to properly socialize their animals and train them properly. IMO it's all about personal responsibly to make sure our animals have manners and if not remove them and don't camp with them so they don't get hurt or hurt others.

JD
Jd-mpmt is offline   Reply With Quote