Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #1

dog runner or what?

Hi, I'm curious about RV'ing with my two full sized boxers and looking for some suggestions on what to do once we get to a campground. We've tried putting them on the screw in stakes with the attached chains but that ends up getting all twisted up around the stake. We definitely can't have them together on some sort of lead because they get tangled. So I'm thinking two separate cable runners for them spaced out so they can't get tangled. However, this option requires at least 4 trees.. which doesn't seem to hard at the couple of campgrounds I've been to but I'm trying to think through every situation, and I may be out in an open field at some point. I've also thought about anchoring the cables to the motorhome rear end so I only need two trees. Or, if there is some sort of runner poles that stake into the ground I'd be good anywhere. If anyone has an idea to this predicament or some product recommendations I sure would appreciate it. I also don't want to have to kennel or confine them in something so that's not an option. Thanks a bunch..
2013 Fleetwood Storm 32BH, cheap handling fix, 5-Star tuned, custom cut Tempurpedic mattress, LED'd out, and custom mounted dog kennel. 14' JKU Willys Wheeler toad, SMI Stay-n-Play brakes, Demco Commander tow bar, Roadmaster brackets
nomad10th is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
dog runner or what?

Nomad,

While I realize you don't want to confine your boxers, we use a portable fence system to keep our danes close to the coach. We just unfold the fence (3 separte sections), and set it up around the curb side and then we can let the dogs in and out as we please. Not really enough room for exercise, but plenty of space for snuffling and watching the word go by.
Height of the fence is not a problem, for our well behaved danes.
We tried all the tie out systems etc, but as you mentioned, tangles are a real problem,
So we have used the fence system for the last 4 years and it works very well for us.
Black Pet Pen With Walk-Thru Door 24" x 24" FREE SHIPPING

Luck,
Bob

Luck
Bigbluedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem with a pen is keeping the girl in it. She is a standard schnauzer and can easily clear a 4' fence. So, our solution is walk the dogs. She enjoys the exercise and sniffing and the walk is good for me.

I would never tie her out as they get tangled and if something should attack her, she is tied and can be hurt.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You could get 2 stakeouts and position them so the dogs could touch, but not get tangled.

We use a Pet Safe wireless fence system at home and take with us on trips. It allows us to setup limits they can go. We have used this for 5 years and works great. Haven't yet encountered a CG that didn't approve of it, at most until after they saw it in operation. It's nice to get up in the morning and just let the dogs out in my skivies
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
These retractable tie outs are the perfect solution for my dogs. Not one tangle in four years of use. Found them at camping world.

Name:   104509702-260x260-0-0_Shopzeus+Reel+King+Retractable+Dog+Tieout+20+Shopz.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  10.6 KB
chickendogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #6

Great feedback. I appreciate it!
2013 Fleetwood Storm 32BH, cheap handling fix, 5-Star tuned, custom cut Tempurpedic mattress, LED'd out, and custom mounted dog kennel. 14' JKU Willys Wheeler toad, SMI Stay-n-Play brakes, Demco Commander tow bar, Roadmaster brackets
nomad10th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #7

Some, of not most, state parks and camgrounds have rules about tying ropes or cables to trees. have you tried using those plastic covered cables sold at pet stores? We use them for our two schnauzers, attach them to the swivel on one dog stake screwed into ground. Because the cables slide across each other and are on swivels they do not often get tangled. Of course, what might work for one might not work for another.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
You could get 2 stakeouts and position them so the dogs could touch, but not get tangled.

We use a Pet Safe wireless fence system at home and take with us on trips. It allows us to setup limits they can go. We have used this for 5 years and works great. Haven't yet encountered a CG that didn't approve of it, at most until after they saw it in operation. It's nice to get up in the morning and just let the dogs out in my skivies
Don't the dogs look funny in your skivies?
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
Don't the dogs look funny in your skivies?
Yeah a little, but I just empty them rather that getting the scooper out. Getting lazy in my old age. They're not getting my Depends, they're too damn expensive!
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote