Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2015, 06:08 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Of course the people who have taken the time to properly socialize their dogs are the also the ones who take the time to respond to this thread. I don't have any concerns about any fellow campers who have well behaved animals or children. But I do get irritated with parents/pet owners who pay no attention to their responsibilities as parents/pet owners when their children/pets are miss-behaving.
Some dogs can't be socialized.. And I used to think it was a whole upbringing thing until we ran into two that were just not to be trusted around other dogs, even after thousands of dollars in socialization and training. The responsible thing to do was NOT to allow them to further socialize without a muzzle... Great with people. Not great with dogs.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2015, 07:19 PM   #16

I love my dogs. They are quiet and good on a leash. They hate other dogs charging at them. They hate children charging at them. They hate adults charging at them. I hate off leash dogs that charge at them. I hate unruly children that charge at them. Mostly the adults are OK as you can tell them not to and they are usually friendly and understanding.

What I really hate while boondocking is packs of unruly young people that are allowed to travel together unsupervised. They are usually blasting loud music and can be threatening to anyone who dares to talk to them. I think the national forest should institute an age limit and a number limit. Something like no more than 2 people under 26 should be allowed to camp together unless they are supervised by someone over 40 at the same camp site. <tongue in cheek humor>
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Of course the people who have taken the time to properly socialize their dogs are the also the ones who take the time to respond to this thread. I don't have any concerns about any fellow campers who have well behaved animals or children. But I do get irritated with parents/pet owners who pay no attention to their responsibilities as parents/pet owners when their children/pets are miss-behaving. We once had a campsite next to a dog owner who had his dog on a rope so long that the dog could sit right beside our table next to our camper. When the dog relieved itself by our table the owner acted surprised when I told him to clean up the mess and then showed him the borders of his campsite and explained the dog needed to be kept inside those borders. Some people don't have a clue!
Pretty much the most accurate, honest, and true dog/kid answer to any thread concerning both. It's the "MORON OWNERS/PARENTS" that really are the start of the problem(s). I'm not going to drag this out. All of what needs to be said, has been said. If the owners and parents (of the problem dogs and kids) were more aware and, considerate of folks around them, we'd all be better off. I've played with dogs and kids that weren't even ours because they were well behaved and, were having good time and, the owners and parents WERE considerate and concerned.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:35 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I travel w 4 to 6 large breed dogs in my RV. They don't bark. They don't lunge at things. I use an exercise pen to keep them safely contained in my allotted campsight area. I pick up their poop and properly dispose of it. I never leave them unattended in the campsight and only walk on lead unless there is an allowed off lead area.

So for me the number of dogs a person can train and deal with properly is the right number.

I don't like kids much but hey if you want 14 of em and can properly train and care for them and safely fit them in your RV then I guess whatever floats yer boat is the magic number.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:30 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
The dog lovers have hijacked this thread and are using every excuse they can dream up to justify their choice and switch the subject.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:59 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
DOGS DOGS DOGS! How many is just TOO MANY?

On the comment about a surcharge at campgrounds for children, we have found that there is an extra charge at most private camps for more than 2 people in your party, including kids. I have found most campgrounds also ask me how many pets we have with us (none).

I wouldn't put a magic number on how many dogs or family are to be in an RV. I agree it comes down to behavior of those involved and the person driving the RV being responsible for what he/she brings along. You're the captain and they are your passengers and crew. We have enjoyed considerate pet owners, pets, parents, youth, singles, empty nesters, and seniors. Sadly, we have also endured inconsiderate folks of all ages in equal measure. Examples: cutting through our campsite to save a few feet rather than using the path, not cleaning up after pets, loud music - missing out on the sound of nature at awesome venues, not obeying quiet hours, destruction of the environment, leaving dogs tied up to bark for hours on end while gone for several hours, etc. We are always sure to not do the same with how we behave, setting a good example for our kids to emulate now and when they are adults. If we had dogs, we would be just as vigilant.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
You have enough Dogs when your heart is full.
Your heart, apparently can accommodate one, others have more room.

Dick
Old 08-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Well,

So I guess how many dogs depends on who is accountable for them.
And how well they are accountable- well said, it's not the amount of animals or children, it's how well they are socialized.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:26 AM   #23

It wasn't a dog or kid that was singing sound of music at eleven p.m.It was a drunk state policeman. So when we called to complain the ranger rode around the campground with his blue lights on giving everyone time to settle down .When the light went off the singing came back on.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #24

1 Barking dog is 1 dog to many.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #25

Here is a scenario for you that just took place this weekend. BTW, I don't have a dog but I do love animals.
Arrived at the RV Park, get all set up. Across from us arrives a Mother/Son duo with a large St Bernard and a large (as they get) Pit Bull. The next thing I hear is these two dogs barking like mad. I look over and see the two are tied to a tree and barking fiercely at each other. The Mother and Son trying to control them, the CG Operator trying to get a handle on the situation amongst all the commotion. The Mother is saying these dogs never bark but with people walking by they get excited. Dah, we are in an RV Park where there are other people.
Next thing, another fellow comes walking two little Dashounds and these two idiots go berserk again trying to eat the two little Dashounds. Guy turns and high tails it the other way. This goes on for almost two hours until finally I went to the office and advised the operator that if these dogs were still here in the AM, we will be wanting a refund for our one week booking and will be leaving.
P
Well, the discussion ensues between dog owners and operators. Next thing the operator comes to my door advising that as soon as their ride comes (they were in a tent with no vehicle) they will be gone. Thank goodness.
So the next morning just to put icing on the cake, I see just out front of my coach, a Huge Dog Log, nice and fresh.

I don't dislike dogs, I REALLY DISLIKE dog owners that think the world revolves around them and their needs are the only ones that count.

Thanks for reading my Sunday Morning Dog Rant,,,,,
Old 08-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #26

To answer your original question... We have one dog, at least I'm told it is a dog by my wife. HER animal is a long haired, scared of her own shadow Chihuahua. We actually had a neighbors kid ask what kind of animal it was! My animal is a short haired, always shedding and throwing up female cat. So one dog and one cat and the menagerie is full. The wife keeps looking to get another dog to which I respond just as soon as there is an opening you may have one. We don't take the cat with us camping. We simply leave plenty of water, food, and a rather large sand box and she is fine and really really happy to see us upon our return.

I have seen people in a class B, or small class c show up with 4-5 large dogs. Just can not imagine doing that.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #27
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's really sad and maybe even bordering mental illness when someone thinks that a dog is similar to a child. You really have to have some social issues when you compare the two.

I had dogs all my life. Up until 4 years ago, I had a working lab (Arson Dog) and a pet lab. I loved my dogs, but chose not to take them camping with us (personal choice). If I had to make a choice between my dogs and my grandkids, or any dog and a child, I wouldn't hesitate for a split second about destroying the dog(s). They're pets/animals, not people, no matter how cute you think Fufu is.

Here is where some real issues are starting to brew. Over the last two months, I've been in two restaurants where people thought it was okay to bring in their dog and have it sit on the seat cushion. Last week, a woman was shopping in our Walmart with her stupid dog sitting in the shopping cart. What's wrong with these people. It's a health issue. The dog walks out in the yard, craps and pees and then walks in it. Then people put them in places where others are eating or shopping.

Hopefully this dog issue and comfort dog issue (who are not recognized by the Feds) will come to a head and hopefully some State and Federal legislation will be enacted. At least make these people prove the dog is medically needed vs just leaving the dog at home!

Okay,.....I'm ready for the flaming!!! I'm tired of people doing what they want at the expense of everyone around them!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:22 PM   #28

Well said Don.