Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2015, 11:25 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
It's really sad and maybe even bordering mental illness when someone thinks that a dog is similar to a child. You really have to have some social issues when you compare the two.

I had dogs all my life. Up until 4 years ago, I had a working lab (Arson Dog) and a pet lab. I loved my dogs, but chose not to take them camping with us (personal choice). If I had to make a choice between my dogs and my grandkids, or any dog and a child, I wouldn't hesitate for a split second about destroying the dog(s). They're pets/animals, not people, no matter how cute you think Fufu is.

Here is where some real issues are starting to brew. Over the last two months, I've been in two restaurants where people thought it was okay to bring in their dog and have it sit on the seat cushion. Last week, a woman was shopping in our Walmart with her stupid dog sitting in the shopping cart. What's wrong with these people. It's a health issue. The dog walks out in the yard, craps and pees and then walks in it. Then people put them in places where others are eating or shopping.

Hopefully this dog issue and comfort dog issue (who are not recognized by the Feds) will come to a head and hopefully some State and Federal legislation will be enacted. At least make these people prove the dog is medically needed vs just leaving the dog at home!

Okay,.....I'm ready for the flaming!!! I'm tired of people doing what they want at the expense of everyone around them!
Not too many years ago, my wife and I went in to a fine steak house for a special occasion, a little before the regular dinner hour. A couple dressed in business attire were then seated across from us, after we had placed our order. They had an infant in a car seat type of contraption. They immediately proceeded to change the kid's diaper on the table, just as our meal was served. We would have left, if not for the fact that our dinner was now in front of us. It seemed more appropriate at the time to try to ignore this indiscretion, rather than totally ruining an evening out. Unfortunately,
this is not an unusual situation. I have seen countless infants in diapers placed on bank tellers windows, grocery store checkout stands, shopping carts, public swimming pools, etc., where subsequent customers had no idea of the "health issue", as you put it, now confronting them.

So, yes, there may be health issues, as with many things these days, but it is certainly not restricted to dog owners. The self entitled will remain self entitled, whether they are committed to a child or a dog.

This is not intended as a "flame." Just a response to your post.
terryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 12:45 AM   #44

The OP says: "It's just soooo annoying when we dock next to someone with 3 / 4 / more BIG dogs. REALLY? I mean R E A L L Y ?? Do you NEED that many dogs with you???"

Am I the only one here who realizes we all have wheels on our homes? If we don't like our current situation, we can move. We are not trees!

Husband and I find it far less stressful to move to a new site or park or campground or Walmart parking lot than to get into a confrontation with a neighbor over how many big dogs they have. It's certainly easier than working yourself into a lather over something that you can change simply by starting the engine, putting the rig in Drive and pulling out of your site. As you leave you can smile and wave bye-bye to the perceived offender, or even flash him that universal sign of ill will if it makes you feel better (although I hope we're all mature enough not to resort to that behavior).

There are some who will say, (1) "Well, I was here first", (2) "I paid for my campsite same as he did", (3) "I'm not gonna let him push ME around", etc, etc, ad infinitum. My answers to those: (1) = Junior high mentality. Grow up. (2) = You certainly did, but isn't your sanity worth more than the $40 you would forfeit? (3) = That's foolish pride and bruised ego, neither of which needs to be a permanent condition. Life is too short. A month or two months or a year from now, are you still going to be holding onto that anger? Will it still matter?

Just my humble opinion. At 75, I've learned to choose which issues are worth getting myself worked up over. There are precious few of those issues these days and I'm happier and more at peace for it. Your mileage may vary.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:18 AM   #45

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:12 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
BevRedmond... Well said..Couldn't agree more...
Old 08-12-2015, 06:25 AM   #47

The more I get to know some people -----the more I like dogs.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:06 AM   #48

Indeed!
Old 08-13-2015, 12:30 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd157k View Post
OK, so before everyone bashes the heck out of me.. I have a dog too.. a doxen. He's a great little camping companion. It's just soooo annoying when we dock next to someone with 3 / 4 / more BIG dogs. REALLY? I mean R E A L L Y ?? Do you NEED that many dogs with you??? Inevitably they bark at every dew drop that falls. Then there's the "lung-at-every-dog-stretching-thier-chain-to-the-limits" thing every few minutes. I just LOVE it when the dogs all happen to be pit bulls too. "oh they're such gentle dogs"... ya BS! Some of the places we go now have restrictions on the number of dogs, and bread, you can bring in.. but not when we head out to the desert or other boondocking places.
I will admit, there has been a few neighbors with very quiet, large dogs. I'm sure it's very cozy in that rig overnight.
I really think they need to limit the number of dogs. Campgrounds are looking more like kennels and no matter how "loving and playful" those big dogs are, there's still those few that lung at the children on bikes and scare the bajesus out of them.
Then there's the little yappers out there that NEVER quit. OMG.. shut that thing up! Isn't everyone camping looking for PIECE AND QUIET? Do you not hear your dog??

ok.. flame suit on.. let me have it
I feel VERY offended,if you havent owned a breed you shouldnt pass judgement,do you like it if and when people are predjudice to you and your family.I happen to own a pit boxer mix and have owned a couple of pure bread ones and they are one of the best breeds out there,in fact when my daughter was born we had one.My daughter could do anything to that dog including kicking it and she never even thought about doing anything to my daughter.Do some research before you act predjustice.Ever heard of Cesar Milan? People like you are why we have so much hate in this world.I love all breeds, its the owners that have the problems.
WRENCH18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:31 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRENCH18 View Post
I feel VERY offended,if you havent owned a breed out shouldnt pass judgement,do you like it if and when people are predjudice to you and your family.I happen to own a pit boxer mix and have owned a couple of pure bread ones and they are one of the best breeds out there,in fact when my daughter was born we had one.My daughter could do anything to that dog including kicking it and she never even thought about doing anything to my daughter.Do some research before you act predjustice.Ever heard of Cesar Milan? People like you are why we have so much hate in this world.I love all breeds, its the owners that have the problems.
YOU NEED TO LEARN TO SPELL TOO:m ad::m ad:
Old 08-13-2015, 12:36 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRENCH18 View Post
YOU NEED TO LEARN TO SPELL TOO:m ad::m ad:
Now thats off my chest,sorry for that.I do agree with what was said otherwise,thats why we have wheels,lol.Dont understand the multiple dogs either,and why tied up outside.Why have one that spends its whole life tied to a pole,dont get it.Again sorry for the attitude.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:43 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd157k View Post
OK, so before everyone bashes the heck out of me.. I have a dog too.. a doxen. He's a great little camping companion. It's just soooo annoying when we dock next to someone with 3 / 4 / more BIG dogs. REALLY? I mean R E A L L Y ?? Do you NEED that many dogs with you??? Inevitably they bark at every dew drop that falls. Then there's the "lung-at-every-dog-stretching-thier-chain-to-the-limits" thing every few minutes. I just LOVE it when the dogs all happen to be pit bulls too. "oh they're such gentle dogs"... ya BS! Some of the places we go now have restrictions on the number of dogs, and bread, you can bring in.. but not when we head out to the desert or other boondocking places.
I will admit, there has been a few neighbors with very quiet, large dogs. I'm sure it's very cozy in that rig overnight.
I really think they need to limit the number of dogs. Campgrounds are looking more like kennels and no matter how "loving and playful" those big dogs are, there's still those few that lung at the children on bikes and scare the bajesus out of them.
Then there's the little yappers out there that NEVER quit. OMG.. shut that thing up! Isn't everyone camping looking for PIECE AND QUIET? Do you not hear your dog??

ok.. flame suit on.. let me have it
By the way mine helps me with PTSD.You see im a disabled vet.They really are a great breed.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:44 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Funny thread. I hear you, kids and yapping dogs are annoying at times and the owners never seem to hear anything. Pit Bulls are not bad dogs though, just as ferocious as a Chihuahua in many cases. It is the owners that are to blame most of the time. These are some of the reasons we stay clear of these so called campgrounds, get me out of there.
Thank you
Old 08-13-2015, 12:45 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I have had far less issues with dogs over the years than I have with ill-mannered little brats.

I think the c/g's should have a surcharge for children if they're going to charge for dogs.

My dog doesn't need a pool, a playground or any of the host of other things that are paid for out of site fees that everyone pays for. I can't recall ever seeing dogs throwing litter, vandalizing or tagging things either.
YA baby
Old 08-13-2015, 12:47 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
A few owners (like us) work with rescue and foster. If other people would take care of their dogs, having people volunteering and fostering rescue animals wouldn't be necessary.

Likely the people that are taking their dogs everywhere, even if it's annoying, aren't the people creating the problem in terms of rescue and shelters.

The reality of keeping a "big" dog at home is that it costs $20-$40 per day. Two dogs, double that... And you have to provide all records, be up on shots, etc..

I think what you're really against is people who tie their dogs up and allow them to bark in a manner that disturbs their neighbors... I've not zero defense of that.
YA
Old 08-13-2015, 12:48 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
A few years ago we were on the east coast in a part RV and part manufactured park. Next to us a woman came out of her home with 9 small dogs. All had a leash connected to her arm. How many is too much. I guess 9 would be about right.
I agree with that too,just not your comment on Pit Bulls.