Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2015, 12:50 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
It's not about what they NEED, it's about what they WANT. If someone wants several dogs, mean dogs, or little annoying dogs, there's nothing you or I can do to stop them.

Since we boondock almost all the time, our usual response to dogs or people we don't like is to move somewhere else. On those rare occasions when we have to be in a campground, we prefer the ones that don't allow any pets at all. There are no problems at all that way!
YA
WRENCH18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2015, 12:51 AM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Although I do agree with you regarding kids that are out of control, and damaging others property, I think putting the dogs in the same class as Human beings is a little extreme.

I think a lot of people with Kids do the RV'ing thing because it provides a wholesome family experience for the kids and brings a family together. I know not everyone has kids, and may not want the noise, but a surcharge for kids is a bit much. If you look back thru time, the adds for RV'ing and camping were family oriented and not so much a place to live as it seems to be nowadays.

I think whether you bring Kids or dogs, it's all about how you teach them to be respectful of others and make sure they are following the rules. As usual it's always a small handful of people who ruin it for all the others who follow the rules and make sure their pets(and Kids) are not offensive to others.
YA,ok i will stop now or DO i need to keep going?
Old 08-13-2015, 01:05 AM   #59

Is your animal over 35 pounds? I don't know, she may be close.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	103133  
Old 08-13-2015, 03:11 PM   #60

Tiffin Owners Club
I think that the number of pets one has, be they cats, dogs, horses, birds......, is however many the owner can RESPONSIBLY care for and manage. Unfortunately too many folks should not have any at all, as soon as an illness comes along they dump the poor pet at a shelter, or worse yet...they just dump them.

But as already mentioned it is not how many it is how the owners train and take responsibility for the creatures in their care.

I've been involved with animal rescue for quite some time and have to say: As to Pitties......Punish the Deed, not the Breed.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:46 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnD View Post
I think that the number of pets one has, be they cats, dogs, horses, birds......, is however many the owner can RESPONSIBLY care for and manage. Unfortunately too many folks should not have any at all, as soon as an illness comes along they dump the poor pet at a shelter, or worse yet...they just dump them.

But as already mentioned it is not how many it is how the owners train and take responsibility for the creatures in their care.

I've been involved with animal rescue for quite some time and have to say: As to Pitties......Punish the Deed, not the Breed.
That is awesome im going to make a t shirt,Punish the deed,not the breed,love it

Old 08-17-2015, 06:28 PM   #62

Have three well behaved medium-large rescue dogs. Never could have kids. Own a small business - can't take vacations (one week every four years is our average) so weekends at last minute availability are the best we get which gives us no notice to reserve the very expensive doggy daycare. So we RV. But we don't tie the dogs out and leave. They go everywhere with us - boating, hiking, etc.. and they come back exhausted and quiet. Have to say I've taken offense to all of this, as I don't mind the misbehaved kids and tend to have compassion for *some* of the parents who I'm sure are just trying to *let kids be kids* and get a small break. Since we don't have them, I'm more inclined to see them as a gift from God and it breaks my heart when the only *kids* I have are considered a nuisance just by their presence. I'm inclined to think if loud air conditioners, quantity of dogs, playful kids, outdoor smoking, campfires, the sound of a beer can cracking open, footsteps in memory foam slippers, etc... are a nuisance then you might want to find a few acres on a lake in the country.
Wanabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:41 PM   #63

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just got home from 8 days group camping w 35 people and 15 dogs. No dogs nor kids went to any other group site or individual site at the USFS campground we were at. No excessive barking dogs nor unruly kids. No one pooped and didn't get it cleaned up and best part? No crotchety old Fogeys next to us to whine about everyone else having toooooo much fun 😁😜😅
Old 08-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #64

I wish there was a "like" button here. I'd have used it for Wanabes and DogNPonyShow!
Old 08-19-2015, 07:21 AM   #65

What we're really looking for is a little courtesy and consideration towards our neighbors. People who love their pets, learn how to care for them and obedience training is the first gift between you and your animals. As a trainer, I often wish there were other terms than "obedience training" which sounds draconian to me and by wife. Maybe we should call it getting along training? However, that implies the owner/handlers and their neighbors who need training more than their animals which always acts instinctively. Then we exploit their instinctive behavior for our own needs instead. In example, I have often heard an owner remark that "you're training me, not my dog." And they are right. You see it doesn't matter in you have one or one hundred dogs. They all look to you for guidance because they trust you. Let me put it this way, if your animal is obnoxious and you let it remain that way, I don't trust you. That being said, if you see me with dogs, mostly the GSD breed, they are always in training, which means I'm in training too. Or did you think trainers have all the answers? because I don't.

One last thing because it is important to my wife and I, I say courtesy and consideration first as how i get along with my neighbors hoping they want as much too. If they cannot control their human behavior, I in particular will not lay down and take it. Disrespecting our neighborhood in the campsites means actions will be taken to find peace and quiet.
RoadWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:54 AM   #66

I agree with that. And I should have said that, but you said it so well. In hindsight to the whole debate, it would be nice if we could preserve courtesy and consideration in the campgrounds. .. my apologies for taking immediate offense to the past. When we abuse priveleges and take the attitude of entitlement, then we start an ugly cycle that starts stereotyping. One bad egg ...
Wanabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:05 AM   #67

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevRedmond View Post
I wish there was a "like" button here. I'd have used it for Wanabes and DogNPonyShow!

Hit the "Thanks" key, it always feels good to get and give them.!

Old 08-19-2015, 01:59 PM   #68

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post

One last thing because it is important to my wife and I, I say courtesy and consideration first as how i get along with my neighbors hoping they want as much too. If they cannot control their human behavior, I in particular will not lay down and take it. Disrespecting our neighborhood in the campsites means actions will be taken to find peace and quiet.
Wouldn't the world be a better place if everyone lived by that age old rule of treating others as one wishes to be treated? (She who travels with 7 cats a bird and a husband.....)
Old 08-25-2015, 09:28 PM   #69

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I think we all should get rid of all our different dog breads, and go strictly doxen! Wouldn't that be nice!
mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:59 PM   #70

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwwade View Post
I think we all should get rid of all our different dog breads, and go strictly doxen! Wouldn't that be nice!
Everyone should have cats! They don't go outside too often and they seldom bark! LOL!!!!! We were just at a rally, we sat outside and had adult beverages and snackages, our little Cruzer (aka the Pooper) was sitting on the steps watching us, someone noticed and made a comment. My remark, "Well he's one of 7 in there.....and a bird" ... chins hit the ground, a few had been inside with me and did not notice.