Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2015, 10:40 AM   #1

DOGS DOGS DOGS! How many is just TOO MANY?

OK, so before everyone bashes the heck out of me.. I have a dog too.. a doxen. He's a great little camping companion. It's just soooo annoying when we dock next to someone with 3 / 4 / more BIG dogs. REALLY? I mean R E A L L Y ?? Do you NEED that many dogs with you??? Inevitably they bark at every dew drop that falls. Then there's the "lung-at-every-dog-stretching-thier-chain-to-the-limits" thing every few minutes. I just LOVE it when the dogs all happen to be pit bulls too. "oh they're such gentle dogs"... ya BS! Some of the places we go now have restrictions on the number of dogs, and bread, you can bring in.. but not when we head out to the desert or other boondocking places.
I will admit, there has been a few neighbors with very quiet, large dogs. I'm sure it's very cozy in that rig overnight.
I really think they need to limit the number of dogs. Campgrounds are looking more like kennels and no matter how "loving and playful" those big dogs are, there's still those few that lung at the children on bikes and scare the bajesus out of them.
Then there's the little yappers out there that NEVER quit. OMG.. shut that thing up! Isn't everyone camping looking for PIECE AND QUIET? Do you not hear your dog??

ok.. flame suit on.. let me have it
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2015, 11:21 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I expect most people get their dogs before they buy their RV and being dog lovers, they prefer to have their dogs with them than leave them with a sitter or boarder. Dogs are companions who love their owners and many have playmates or family who are also K9s. They help reduce blood pressure, anxiety, stress and provide security in the campground and for the RV. .
Some people travel with a pack of little children that yell and run around everywhere unsupervised in many cases. I have no problem with children as long as they are cared for as much or more than my dog. I travel with only one and she barks at people walking near my coach.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd157k View Post
OK, so before everyone bashes the heck out of me.. I have a dog too.. a doxen. He's a great little camping companion. It's just soooo annoying when we dock next to someone with 3 / 4 / more BIG dogs. REALLY? I mean R E A L L Y ?? Do you NEED that many dogs with you??? Inevitably they bark at every dew drop that falls. Then there's the "lung-at-every-dog-stretching-thier-chain-to-the-limits" thing every few minutes. I just LOVE it when the dogs all happen to be pit bulls too. "oh they're such gentle dogs"... ya BS! Some of the places we go now have restrictions on the number of dogs, and bread, you can bring in.. but not when we head out to the desert or other boondocking places.
I will admit, there has been a few neighbors with very quiet, large dogs. I'm sure it's very cozy in that rig overnight.
I really think they need to limit the number of dogs. Campgrounds are looking more like kennels and no matter how "loving and playful" those big dogs are, there's still those few that lung at the children on bikes and scare the bajesus out of them.
Then there's the little yappers out there that NEVER quit. OMG.. shut that thing up! Isn't everyone camping looking for PIECE AND QUIET? Do you not hear your dog??

ok.. flame suit on.. let me have it
Funny thread. I hear you, kids and yapping dogs are annoying at times and the owners never seem to hear anything. Pit Bulls are not bad dogs though, just as ferocious as a Chihuahua in many cases. It is the owners that are to blame most of the time. These are some of the reasons we stay clear of these so called campgrounds, get me out of there.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #4

I have had far less issues with dogs over the years than I have with ill-mannered little brats.

I think the c/g's should have a surcharge for children if they're going to charge for dogs.

My dog doesn't need a pool, a playground or any of the host of other things that are paid for out of site fees that everyone pays for. I can't recall ever seeing dogs throwing litter, vandalizing or tagging things either.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:51 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
A few owners (like us) work with rescue and foster. If other people would take care of their dogs, having people volunteering and fostering rescue animals wouldn't be necessary.

Likely the people that are taking their dogs everywhere, even if it's annoying, aren't the people creating the problem in terms of rescue and shelters.

The reality of keeping a "big" dog at home is that it costs $20-$40 per day. Two dogs, double that... And you have to provide all records, be up on shots, etc..

I think what you're really against is people who tie their dogs up and allow them to bark in a manner that disturbs their neighbors... I've not zero defense of that.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
A few years ago we were on the east coast in a part RV and part manufactured park. Next to us a woman came out of her home with 9 small dogs. All had a leash connected to her arm. How many is too much. I guess 9 would be about right.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:55 PM   #7

It's not about what they NEED, it's about what they WANT. If someone wants several dogs, mean dogs, or little annoying dogs, there's nothing you or I can do to stop them.

Since we boondock almost all the time, our usual response to dogs or people we don't like is to move somewhere else. On those rare occasions when we have to be in a campground, we prefer the ones that don't allow any pets at all. There are no problems at all that way!
Old 08-07-2015, 01:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I have had far less issues with dogs over the years than I have with ill-mannered little brats.

I think the c/g's should have a surcharge for children if they're going to charge for dogs.

Although I do agree with you regarding kids that are out of control, and damaging others property, I think putting the dogs in the same class as Human beings is a little extreme.

I think a lot of people with Kids do the RV'ing thing because it provides a wholesome family experience for the kids and brings a family together. I know not everyone has kids, and may not want the noise, but a surcharge for kids is a bit much. If you look back thru time, the adds for RV'ing and camping were family oriented and not so much a place to live as it seems to be nowadays.

I think whether you bring Kids or dogs, it's all about how you teach them to be respectful of others and make sure they are following the rules. As usual it's always a small handful of people who ruin it for all the others who follow the rules and make sure their pets(and Kids) are not offensive to others.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #9

I can't quite agree on the kids.. other than those that scream, just to scream. Playing children doesn't bother us much. Barking, yapping dogs or people that don't pick up after them.. or don't leash them because "oh my dog doesn't need a leash" is just outside of acceptability. (in a closed up camping area.. what I call "concrete camping"). Now, having said that.. the people out in the desert, I agree.. have as many as you want.. JUST PUT THEM ON LEASHES and keep control of them. It does seem to be an "owner" problem more times than not.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #10

Taking my two this weekend to race flyball. Go visit a tournament once and your definition of barking will be forever changed

Seriously though I have two Shelties and try to keep them quiet out of consideration when in hotels. That said they are herders that work by barking so total silence is not possible.
sheepofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:50 PM   #11

I don't know how many dogs are too much, but we decided to leave one of our two with our daughter when we started full-timing. Very difficult decision, but it was best for us and even her; safety-wise. (she's deaf)

Not only are some kids and dogs annoying, but I'll add adults to the list of occasional idiots. Drinking, domestic fights, loud partying, selfishness. Then again, most are good to meet - people, kids and dogs. Variety... makes camping interesting!
Old 08-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Of course the people who have taken the time to properly socialize their dogs are the also the ones who take the time to respond to this thread. I don't have any concerns about any fellow campers who have well behaved animals or children. But I do get irritated with parents/pet owners who pay no attention to their responsibilities as parents/pet owners when their children/pets are miss-behaving. We once had a campsite next to a dog owner who had his dog on a rope so long that the dog could sit right beside our table next to our camper. When the dog relieved itself by our table the owner acted surprised when I told him to clean up the mess and then showed him the borders of his campsite and explained the dog needed to be kept inside those borders. Some people don't have a clue!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:12 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lots of interesting points of view about dogs and kids, most of which I completely understand. Actually camped both ways myself and admit that I was/am not always 100% successful getting everyone to behave up to par, and for that I apologize to any folks we may have disturbed.

That being said, two of my most annoying camping weeks, on two separate occasions were caused by neither dogs nor kids. Both times it was drunk, loud, and generally obnoxious adults. In fact, I think it is fair to say they were in the senior citizen range, as am I. And complaints to management were marginally useful in one case and useless in the other.

So, I think we should include non-complying adults in this discussion as well.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:56 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Well,
My wife has showed dogs for the last 30 years, she is also a Licensed Veternary Technician, and has a certification in behavior modification from Purdue. You might say dogs are her life, and since we are married they are part of mine.

For large breed dogs we have had Golden Retrievers, German Shepards, Bull Mastiff, and we now have 2 Curly Coated Retrievers.

For small breed we've had Pekingese. She has 6 retired champions now along with 1 Special that she shows. She also has 2 none show dogs, they didn't like to show so she didn't make them. Of the 9 small dogs she has adopted 6 from other show people who were getting rid of their kennel stock. She spares no expense at taking care of her dogs.

Although we will sometimes board (or have someone house sit) the dogs we also travel with all of them. If you counted correctly you would have come up with 11 dogs. We try hard not to let our dogs bother others, we have X-Pens that we take to keep them under control. They are always walked on a leash and they are always picked up after.

I don't remember every being repramanded at a campground or RV park and usually get compliments as to how well the dogs are looked after.

So I guess how many dogs depends on who is accountable for them.
Attached Files
There was an error processing this video...
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote