Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2020, 08:41 PM   #1

Doodle does not like travel

We have a mini labradoodle who travels well in vehicles or planes, but the minute the Cat engine starts (and i suspect the air compressor) he is agitated. I think it hurts his ears. Anyone have feedback or thoughts on how to proceed? He cries incessantly or has to be in drivers arms
RobTerriV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2020, 09:34 PM   #2

I just spoke to someone today who had the same problem. Said the dog was fine in a gas power vehicle but not a diesel, and has to ride on his wife's lap. He suspected it was the high pitched whine of the turbo. Don't have any suggestions though. Our cats hates it too, and panics as soon as I start the engine. We lock him in the bathroom.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:41 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Leave him at home!!!
asherdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:36 PM   #4

Try a walk to make pup tired.

Also might help if he walked around the outside while diesel engine is running to get used to the sound.

Worst case ask vet about benadryl dose. But absolutely don't leave pup at home. I would not leave my other family members if they required extra attention.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:48 AM   #5
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
Try a walk to make pup tired.

Also might help if he walked around the outside while diesel engine is running to get used to the sound.

Worst case ask vet about benadryl dose. But absolutely don't leave pup at home. I would not leave my other family members if they required extra attention.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:56 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Try some of the calming supplements that are available OTC. We have one of our girls that loves to travel but is scared of every bump, twisty roads, traffic, etc. On our last trip I gave her one of the tablets about half an hour before pulling out and she was totally relaxed for about four to five hours until the effect wore off. The one I used is "ThunderWunders" available from Amazon.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:59 AM   #7

Ear plugs would work but I do not think you could get them in Leave him at home. Problem solved. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 10-13-2020, 08:01 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We have a Shih Tzu that does not like to be in the MH when we travel. Stopped is fine. Our vet supplied us with Acepromazine. We medicate Willy about an hour before departure and all is well. The dosage we use is good for about five hours. Talk to your vet about it.
960 watts of solar, 440 Amp hours AGM batteries
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Try some of the calming supplements that are available OTC. We have one of our girls that loves to travel but is scared of every bump, twisty roads, traffic, etc. On our last trip I gave her one of the tablets about half an hour before pulling out and she was totally relaxed for about four to five hours until the effect wore off. The one I used is "ThunderWunders" available from Amazon.
There is also Rescue Remedy.

I wonder if it is a noise if a white noise generator would help? You could try a smart phone app.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:10 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Our previous pup wasn't fond of diesels either.
Rescue remedy, bring him in the coach to the comfort of his kennel, turn on some good music fairly loud, start coach and go was our routine.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 01:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherdav View Post
Leave him at home!!!
Thats using some common sense there ! Driving with ANY pet in your arms is certainly not
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 01:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ted View Post
Thats using some common sense there ! Driving with ANY pet in your arms is certainly not
Just because you take them with you doesn't mean they are in your arms. As I think I mentioned above, my cat stays in the back and spends most his time on the floor sleeping.

If he stayed at home he wouldn't be able to have the fun of chasing quail through the tall grass with a slow and noisy 60+ year old man running behind with the other end of the leash. That will undoubtedly be the highlight of his year.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:18 AM   #13

Essential oils helped my pup

We’ve only been RVing since March. So this is a new learning process for us with our seven-year-old lab mix. What we found, is one of us takes her for a walk while the slides are coming in and the jacks are coming up. We then apply an oil blend called Valor along her spine& put some on pad in vent diffuser by the floor.

Since we made these changes, she usually rides between the front seats...all chill.
dmekdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:23 AM   #14

Thanks to the OP for raising this point.
I am considering a DP but may have to rethink this.
My Lemon Beagle is happy being around my diesel tractor but it does not have a turbo. Will need to get him near one to determine his reaction.

Maybe some additional sound insulation?
Hate the thought of him being medicated for each travel day.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel