Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2022, 12:57 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Elder Dog Solution?

Hi all! You have all come to my rescue many times. This time I am asking for any practical solutions to getting our beloved Great Pyrenees in and out of our Class A rig. We love this dog soooo much it's ridiculous . Can't imagine traveling without her. I have tried the ramps. She's intimidated looking down the stairs. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Happy travels!!
frogpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2022, 01:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogpond View Post
Hi all! You have all come to my rescue many times. This time I am asking for any practical solutions to getting our beloved Great Pyrenees in and out of our Class A rig. We love this dog soooo much it's ridiculous . Can't imagine traveling without her. I have tried the ramps. She's intimidated looking down the stairs. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Happy travels!!

You might try practicing. Lay the ramp on the ground flat and let her go back forth. Put in on the first step of the motorhome and let her use it that way for a while. Raise it the next step, and let her get comfortable. Repeat. What ever treat she likes the best use that as a reward. Encouraging words help, make a game out of it.

You might have to get a harness that you help/steady her.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:27 PM   #3

Elder Dog Solution?

You said you have tried a ramp, and you said she is intimidated looking down the stairs. Is she afraid of going up the ramp too I take it?
Old 08-14-2022, 01:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is there a special dog treat she likes? Maybe put it at the other end of the ramp.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:46 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
She’s less intimidated going up. Still a struggle though.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:56 PM   #6

Maybe put half her meal up at the top, then when she is done, half at the bottom? If she will go up and down for such a high reward (her food) keep doing this for a while to get her more and more used to good things happening when she goes up and down?
Old 08-14-2022, 02:11 PM   #7

One of our previous GSD's had mobility problems, and I used something this dog sling support:
https://www.amazon.com/LOOBANI-Porta.../dp/B07L3VLH5S
Maybe something like this would help your dog navigate the ramp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogpond View Post
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 05:21 PM   #8

We just watched an episode of "Better Human, Better Dog" (Cesar Milan's new show) where a dog was afraid of shiney floors going through doors. I would think that a dog's fear of going through or across something is the same regardless of the "obstacle," so perhaps his solution would work for your dog.

He simply put a normal leash on the dog's collar, went through the door first, then applied a constant pressure on the leash. He was not trying to pull the dog, he was simply applying a taught pressure enough to resist the dog not moving forward. He did not talk to the dog, he just quietly held the leash taught. It took about 45 seconds the first time for the dog to move forward through the opening. The process needed to be repeated numerous times, but it wasn't too long before the dog just started to do it on its own.

You have to be confident and not fearful for the dog. Your state of mind is picked up by the dog.

You mention elderly, but not if the dog had pain issues causing the fear/hesitancy. If it's pain, that's something different.

Cesar Milan is the absolute and undisputed dog leader, IMO.
Old 08-14-2022, 05:39 PM   #9

Elder dog solutions

If your dog is in pain go to Nzymes.Com. My Aussie was chewing his hip a lot, and Aussies do get hip dysplasiar. I researched and found Nzymes online. He no longer chews on his hip. Check that sight out. Their products have helped animals walk again.
seaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 06:38 PM   #10

How steep are the ramps that have been tried? Perhaps a longer ramp and less incline would help.

I'm on a similar quest for my 80 pound lab. Been carrying her up the stairs which isn't easy!
Old 08-14-2022, 06:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
You might try practicing. Lay the ramp on the ground flat and let her go back forth. Put in on the first step of the motorhome and let her use it that way for a while. Raise it the next step, and let her get comfortable. Repeat. What ever treat she likes the best use that as a reward. Encouraging words help, make a game out of it.

You might have to get a harness that you help/steady her.
When we went to a ramp this is what we did to get her over her anxiety of the ramp

Incline makes a big difference also.
Less steep/easier to get use to, especially for a dog that is elder
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 05:33 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your replies. Still working on it.
Old 08-15-2022, 05:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
How steep are the ramps that have been tried? Perhaps a longer ramp and less incline would help.

I'm on a similar quest for my 80 pound lab. Been carrying her up the stairs which isn't easy!
And wider. Let the dog go up the nice wide ramp and steps, then go sit outside with some treats and just let the dog learn and deal with the steps and ramp. Just ignore the dog and let it come out at it's own pace.."no touch,no talk, no eye contact."
Old 08-15-2022, 05:53 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Get down on the level of the dog and look at what the dog is seeing. That may give a clue to the approach to use.

Also, either you or your significant other, get in front of the dog and demonstrate how it is done, multiple times. Have the other person hold the leash and encourage the dog to give it confidence. Go up and down the ramp in demonstration while encouraging the dog to maneuver the ramp.

The idea of a gradual increase on the incline is excellent advice. Creating confidence in the dog is vital. Visual problems are common in older dogs. It is possible there are cataracts and the visual is not a clear as you might expect.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog