Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2016, 06:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Forness View Post
Thank for your replys. It's a help to know there are other cat people out there.
We travel with 5 cats. There are a lot of us out there.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2016, 11:13 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
First trip with cats

We've traveled with my service dog both in our van and in our first RV. Our newer one has enough room that I want to add the 4 cats, and maybe later our parrot. I'm trying to find a tall, skinny cat tree & where to put it when we are enroute. I'm also debating getting window seats for them.
Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:31 AM   #17

We don't have an RV yet, but are looking for a Class A Diesel with a bunk house that would be a designated "pet area" for our two chihuahuas and two cats when we go full time in a little over two years. We plan to put the dog crate and covered litter box on the bottom bunk (mattress removed) and turn the top bunk into a "kitty rest area" with a window view and maybe even play bird &/or aquarium videos on the small tv monitor for them. Yes! We are a bit nuts, but love our fur babies. I think once they get used to it they will love their little apartment area.
SunnyAZgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:09 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Update: one of our cats crossed rainbow bridge before our maiden voyage. We traveled with the remaining 3. They hid during the drive here, but have come out and made the,selves quite at home here. Tomorrow we head home, so we'll see how,they handle the return trip.
Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textronics View Post
Update: one of our cats crossed rainbow bridge before our maiden voyage. We traveled with the remaining 3. They hid during the drive here, but have come out and made the,selves quite at home here. Tomorrow we head home, so we'll see how,they handle the return trip.
So sorry for your loss. I am lad your other three kitties seem to be doing well on the trip.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyAZgirl View Post
... turn the top bunk into a "kitty rest area" with a window view and maybe even play bird &/or aquarium videos on the small tv monitor for them. ...
In my experience cats never seem to like what we think they will. My cat's favorite spots are 1)Driver's seat, 2) Dash (passenger side only), 3) Floor in front of the driver's seat, and 4) Bed. In that order.

I've never had a cat show the least bit of interest in watching anything of television or computer monitor. Apparently the refresh rate of the monitor interferes with their viewing it.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
In my experience cats never seem to like what we think they will. My cat's favorite spots are 1)Driver's seat, 2) Dash (passenger side only), 3) Floor in front of the driver's seat, and 4) Bed. In that order.

I've never had a cat show the least bit of interest in watching anything of television or computer monitor. Apparently the refresh rate of the monitor interferes with their viewing it.
Actually, I was joking about the television. When I saw the monitors in the bunk area that is the first thing I thought of and got a chuckle out of it. However, I do have one cat that will look at the television for awhile, especially if he hears animal sounds. I think it is the sound that intrigues him the most.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #22

We RV with four cats,and we found out early on, that they will try to hide in the most inaccessable places possible, i.e. behind closed slides. Regardless of how fast or slow the slides move, the machinery behind them could kill a kitty.
So what I did, was use thin plywood and stick-on velcro to make removable baffles to put at the openings that present themselves at the ends of closed slides. So now, they all go find safer place to hide, like closets...whatever.
In any event, when we're ready to put the slides out, we have roll call. So far, no smoooshed kitties.....talk about ruining your day!
Dudley Do-Right
2006 Western Alpine Apex 40MDTS
Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:03 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
Our two cats got used to the 5er quite quickly. They are now at the point where they will come outside and sit around the camp site with us. They seem to know just how far they can roam before they get thrown back in. When told GO HOME, they (usually) run right back to the door. Occasionally, one of them will get stubborn, and need a gentle kick in the but to get her moving.

One word of caution, is to make absolutely certain that you know exactly where they are before you move a slide in or out. Better, would be to have them under control.

Dur to their desert ancestors cats are more heat tolerant than dogs, but we worried about going off and leaving them for a day. We decided they needed a way to get out. I built them a screened "catio." The adjustable supports are paint roller poles. The two brown brackets (one not visable) are to secure it to a platform on the back bumper when traveling. If I were to do it again, it would have a sloped roof so that I wouldn't get a shower when taking it down.

Joel
Love the set up!
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat