Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #1

For 3+ Dog Travelers...

When I go on the road it will be with 4 or 5 dogs [smaller ones but still ore than many of you out there] - and I wanted to pick your brains on what traveling with your own pack is like, if you don't mind sharing a bit of your experiences?

Please include some of the following info and answer as many Q's as apply to your situation. And photos would be great too:

• How many dogs do you travel with? Pls include breed and/or sizes.
  • Are you full time or vacation/trips only?
  • Do you crate or do they run free during driving time or when you are out and away from the MH/CG.
  • If you crate your dogs, where are the crates and do you use plastic or metal ones? Can you share some photos of your set-up? Would be very appreciated.
  • What percentage of the time do you boondock?
  • Are you having issues with multiple dogs in National Parks, FS, BLM, etc
  • What percentage of the time do you stay in private camp grounds?
  • Are they more often than not giving you a hard time because you are owned by more than 1 or 2 dogs? Do you get asked how many dogs are on board?
  • When you are going to places where the dogs are not welcome [shopping, restaurants, shows, museums, national parks, etc] - do you ever board them locally for a day or two so you can take advantage of day trips, extended mini tours, etc or look for a doggy daycare to drop them off for a few hours?
  • If not - do you have any computer or phone system that will notify you if the temps go up, electricity goes out, or if there are any noise disturbances in the RV? I know they are out there, but not sure what to look for - more info needed.
  • Are your dogs micro chipped?
  • Have you "lost" any of your dogs during travels, and were you able to recover them?
  • For those of you who have longhair breeds that need either seasonal or regular grooming - how do you go about finding a groomer to keep your kids presentable? Or do you do it yourself?
  • If you own a breed that is shedding considerably, how do you deal with this? More brushing and vacuuming or do you see a groomer for de-shedding treatments or getting them shaved short?
  • How do you feed your kids? Kibbles? Home cooked? Raw fed?
  • If you are home cooking or raw feeding, how do you go about storing your meat? Do you carry an extra freezer for the dogs, so you can take advantage of meat sales?
  • Where are the dogs when you are enjoying the outside of your camping spot? Running loose? On a long retractable leash? In an exercise pen? Or???
  • In certain locations - how do you protect your kids from local wild life [other than having them glued to your side 24/7]? Snakes, coyotes, stray dogs, bears, etc.???
  • What other information should I consider, that could you share to help me during my pre=planning stages and later travel?
DogLdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLdy View Post
When I go on the road it will be with 4 or 5 dogs [smaller ones but still ore than many of you out there] - and I wanted to pick your brains on what traveling with your own pack is like, if you don't mind sharing a bit of your experiences?

Please include some of the following info and answer as many Q's as apply to your situation. And photos would be great too:

[*]How many dogs do you travel with? Pls include breed and/or sizes.[*]Are you full time or vacation/trips only?[*]Do you crate or do they run free during driving time or when you are out and away from the MH/CG.[*]If you crate your dogs, where are the crates and do you use plastic or metal ones? Can you share some photos of your set-up? Would be very appreciated.[*]What percentage of the time do you boondock?[*]Are you having issues with multiple dogs in National Parks, FS, BLM, etc[*]What percentage of the time do you stay in private camp grounds?[*]Are they more often than not giving you a hard time because you are owned by more than 1 or 2 dogs? Do you get asked how many dogs are on board?[*]When you are going to places where the dogs are not welcome [shopping, restaurants, shows, museums, national parks, etc] - do you ever board them locally for a day or two so you can take advantage of day trips, extended mini tours, etc or look for a doggy daycare to drop them off for a few hours?[*]If not - do you have any computer or phone system that will notify you if the temps go up, electricity goes out, or if there are any noise disturbances in the RV? I know they are out there, but not sure what to look for - more info needed.[*]Are your dogs micro chipped?[*]Have you "lost" any of your dogs during travels, and were you able to recover them?[*]For those of you who have longhair breeds that need either seasonal or regular grooming - how do you go about finding a groomer to keep your kids presentable? Or do you do it yourself?[*]If you own a breed that is shedding considerably, how do you deal with this? More brushing and vacuuming or do you see a groomer for de-shedding treatments or getting them shaved short?[*]How do you feed your kids? Kibbles? Home cooked? Raw fed?[*]If you are home cooking or raw feeding, how do you go about storing your meat? Do you carry an extra freezer for the dogs, so you can take advantage of meat sales?[*]Where are the dogs when you are enjoying the outside of your camping spot? Running loose? On a long retractable leash? In an exercise pen? Or???[*]In certain locations - how do you protect your kids from local wild life [other than having them glued to your side 24/7]? Snakes, coyotes, stray dogs, bears, etc.???[*]What other information should I consider, that could you share to help me during my pre=planning stages and later travel?
We only travel with one dog and 2 cats, but I'll answer anyway since it might help some of your decisions especially since we raw-feed (which I know is unusual):

We are fulltimers..going 4 years now

We've never crated. Dog sleeps between our front chairs on a dog bed while we travel.

We boondock/dry camp maybe 20-30% of our time, mostly in winter.

We stay 90-95% of our time in public parks, such as State parks, National Forest, COE, BLM etc. No dog restrictions at all. The only places we tend to avoid are National Parks because they typically won't allow dogs on trails. If visiting a NP we'll try to find a close by NF and stay there instead.

We rarely stay (at all) in private parks. We prefer the green, space and trails of public camping instead.

We've never boarded. We either take shorter outings (no more than 4 hours) or go somewhere we can bring the dog.

We have a temp set on our aircon and auto-generator start on our generator in case power goes out.

Our dog always stays close. She is microchipped, but would never run away. She's a herding breed, very protective of her pack and is very well trained (I used to be a dog trainer)

We groom ourselves, vacuum a fair amount and rent a Rug Doctor for the carpets when they need a clean. Just one of the things we deal with.

We feed 100% raw. Our dogs food takes up about 1/3 of the freezer, but thats just the way it is. We buy fresh meat once a week (whatever looks good at the store) and buy organs from local grass-fed farms that we find along the road. I really like eatwild.com for finding quality grassfed meat on the road. Raw feeding on the road takes more frequent shopping, but it's not that bad. You can find meat anywhere.

Outside our dog is on a long leash. She is never left unattended.

Her safety outside is her training. We have several "emergency" commands (stop, back etc.) and she generally stays very close. We walk natural trails most of the time. There's always some risk, of course but we try to be somewhat smart about where we go.

I have close to a gazillion pics of the dog on our blog LOL. You're welcome to drop over there and see (link in signature).

Hope that helps!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #3

WheelingIt - thank you for taking the time to share some of your experiences. You have a gigantic blog - that is nights and nights of reading worth, LOL - definitely going to come back for more reading [already bookmarked you ] - and very easy to read too!

I think things are so much less complicated with 1 or 2 dogs - from feeding [I do both raw and kibble], exercising them, keeping them clean and presentable, training, hanging out and also traveling. It is one thing to give one the "evil eye" when it is misbehaving and keeping it under control [most mature poodles are amazingly aware, sensitive and sensible but they are smart too - too smart sometimes!]. Having 4 or 5 roaming about and doing their thing [it seems it breeds civil doggy uprisings when you have several and some of them still pretty young and full of youthful enthusiasm and fluffyness between the ears] is an accident waiting to happen and too much distraction for me - especially while we are all new on the road and me still learning to drive my rig and be comfortable with it. I think just for peace of mind and concentration while driving, I will definitely be crating them enroute.

Rawfeeding - I do whole prey method and it is mostly [and surprisingly] less expensive than premium grainfree kibble - that is because I have my local sources and know where and when to go and buy. I could imagine on the road this may be a different cup of tea all together. Thank you for sharing that link fro grass fed meat too - I will be looking into this as well. Are your cats rawfed too? Mine likes to snack on raw occasionally, but will not eat enough to live on it [picky kibble eater too].

Thank you very much for sharing!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #4

[*]How many dogs do you travel with? Pls include breed and/or sizes.

3 - Westie,Australian Cattle Dog, Colldohu(Collie,Dogo,Husky mix) 30,45 and 60lbs respectfully. And 2 birds.
[*]Are you full time or vacation/trips only?

Vacation
[*]Do you crate or do they run free during driving time or when you are out and away from the MH/CG.

We create the Colldohu when she was < yr old since she was more comfortable that way, the door to the crate was open, she is kinda a scaredy cat (Lots of Dogo's are probably embarrassed).
[*]If you crate your dogs, where are the crates and do you use plastic or metal ones? Can you share some photos of your set-up? Would be very appreciated.

Plastic, we lowered the dining table to bed mode and strapped the kennel to it.
[*]What percentage of the time do you boondock?

< 25%
[*]Are you having issues with multiple dogs in National Parks, FS, BLM, etc

So far it has not been an issue[*]What percentage of the time do you stay in private camp grounds?

< 25 %
[*]Are they more often than not giving you a hard time because you are owned by more than 1 or 2 dogs? Do you get asked how many dogs are on board?

We get asked, but we have followed the rules and no one has ever giving us a hard time about it.
[*]When you are going to places where the dogs are not welcome [shopping, restaurants, shows, museums, national parks, etc] - do you ever board them locally for a day or two so you can take advantage of day trips, extended mini tours, etc or look for a doggy daycare to drop them off for a few hours?

We mostly just relax at the CG, I'm sure this will be an issue someday, interested to see what you get for responses.
[*]If not - do you have any computer or phone system that will notify you if the temps go up, electricity goes out, or if there are any noise disturbances in the RV? I know they are out there, but not sure what to look for - more info needed.

A controller module for my Onan is on the wish list, but has not made it to the top yet. We will not leave them till we have it.
[*]Are your dogs micro chipped?

Yes, and if you go with the pay per year service they will also find you a local vet if you need it, not that big of a deal if you have internet available, but maybe handy if you don't have a smart phone.
[*]Have you "lost" any of your dogs during travels, and were you able to recover them?

No
[*]For those of you who have longhair breeds that need either seasonal or regular grooming - how do you go about finding a groomer to keep your kids presentable? Or do you do it yourself?[*]If you own a breed that is shedding considerably, how do you deal with this? More brushing and vacuuming or do you see a groomer for de-shedding treatments or getting them shaved short?

We only go on 3-4 day trips
[*]How do you feed your kids? Kibbles? Home cooked? Raw fed?

Kibble and some canned for the older diabetic Westie. What ever it take to get him to eat so he can have insulin.
[*]Where are the dogs when you are enjoying the outside of your camping spot? Running loose? On a long retractable leash? In an exercise pen? Or???

Long leash, Thinking about a pen but the Colldohu is the size of a pony !
[*]In certain locations - how do you protect your kids from local wild life [other than having them glued to your side 24/7]? Snakes, coyotes, stray dogs, bears, etc.???

We do not leave them unattended
[*]What other information should I consider, that could you share to help me during my pre=planning stages and later travel?

It took the Colldohu several trips to get comfortable. They still don't eat well till they have been at a CG for at least a couple hours, sometimes overnight.

They may also try and "hold it" till they get home, we have had the cattle dog wait 2 days before she would go to the bathroom(#2).

At home we have a dog door and around a 1000 sq ft fenced area, so they can go to the bathroom when ever they want, so going on leash was tricky.

Some places require no greater than 6' leashes and other specify non retractable only. We have a drawer of options.

Patience is the key, it will take them time to used of the whole experience. I had to carry 2 of them into the RV the first time, now they run up into it.

Sometimes we need to close the blinds and put the windshield cover on to keep them calm and prevent barking. They will quickly see the RV as "home" and try to defend it.

For us the RV is the only way we get to go on trips together so it's worth the extra effort to make it work.

Good luck
[/LIST][/QUOTE]
Old 07-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
No doubt having 2-3 dogs is much more work than one! The folks who we've travelled with that have multiple dogs typically bring an X-pen for hanging outside. Public parks rarely have restrictions on this or on # of dogs, so they are definitely your best bet. Also the places we go we are usually able to find open spots for doggie to run. Right now we're parked next to a paw friendly beach, for example.

As for raw feeding its only the dog. I tried to convert the cats, but they are already too old and stubborn. Sadly I didn't know about raw feeding when we got them as kittens. I can certainly see that planning raw for 3 dogs will take up more space than our one. An extra freezer could come in handy, but will also force you to run the generator more often while boondocking. A little extra hassle, but I think it can be done. Our dog eats mostly pork (super easy to find anywhere) plus other meats and green tripe when we can get it. The only meats I'm really picky about are the organs which is why we seek out farms for them. We typically only stock organs once every 2-3 months or so.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #6

Jim - thank you for sharing your experiences, I was wondering if putting the crates into the dining booth would work. How do you strap it down if you don't mind me asking? She must be the largest one of your 3, so quite a good sized crate too, right?
Old 07-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #7

Nina [or Paul?] your blog is amazing! I've been reading a bit last night and snickered all the way through your highness' posts! I have 2 black ones like that too - and have had several other felines sharing the last 40 some years of my life [or rather I was allowed to take care of them, to be more correct]. If I had to - I could live without my dogs [not that I would want to] - but living without a cat? Not happening!

For all of you dog owners out there - this is a "must read" blog. Loads of dog friendly location info there, and I have just started to scratch on the surface. Many, many hidden gems here!
Old 07-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We travel with 3 dogs - (2) pyrennes/retriever mixes 100# and 80#) and (1) golden retriever (70#) plus a cat. As long as the weather is decent, we leave them tied outside and stay outside with them. They are a bit more work since they have to be walked and exercised whereby we have a fenced yard at home. We travel for a week or two at a time. We don't crate the dogs, however, do tether one of them while driving. They are microchipped, which I would definitely recommend as I am involved with dog rescue and transport. We have never had anyone say we couldn't have our dogs, however, I don't volunteer too much information unless asked. Barking can be a problem, however, ours are not barkers. I feed dry food to all three (I go through an 18# bag in 8 days) so have to make sure I have plenty of food if we travel longer. I bought a Temperature Alert which will alert us if the temperature goes past the degrees I set it for. They will email, text and call if that happens, and then will call etc. again when it goes back to normal. The device checks the temp. every 15 minutes. We travel in a Winnebago Access Premier 26 with one slide. The worst part is when it rains all day - gets a bit tight in the MH with all of us in there and then having to walk dogs is a chore also.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #9

Temperature Alert

Doglover - I can imagine that it gets iffy when it is wet outside with 3 big and hairy furkids, LOL.

Can you tell me more about your temperature alert? Brand/model or even a link to a website where they are sold? I definitely would want to have something like this for peace of mind...

Thanks for sharing your info.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the compliment DogLdy {{blush}}
Old 07-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLdy View Post

[*]How many dogs do you travel with? Pls include breed and/or sizes.

We travel with 3-5 Miniature Australian Shepherds, 12-20 pounds plus an occasional litter of puppies . Photos at blog.alangusaussies.com and www.alangusaussies.com on photo page
[*]Are you full time or vacation/trips only?

Retired and extended trips up to a month, but not full time.
[*]Do you crate or do they run free during driving time or when you are out and away from the MH/CG.

Yes we crate our dogs when we are away from the motorhome. I rotate them in crates when we are driving depending on the personalities of the dog and to give them breaks.
[*]If you crate your dogs, where are the crates and do you use plastic or metal ones? Can you share some photos of your set-up? Would be very appreciated.

I use plastic crates and line them up on our bed when we are out of the MH. Bedroom is most private and I leave tv on. At night we move them to the coach area and they stack. Some sleep in, some out.
[*]What percentage of the time do you boondock?

We seldom boondock per se but do overnight at Walmart and we also tailgate all UK football games with dogs in tow.
[*]Are you having issues with multiple dogs in National Parks, FS, BLM, etc

No
[*]What percentage of the time do you stay in private camp grounds?

50/50
[*]Are they more often than not giving you a hard time because you are owned by more than 1 or 2 dogs? Do you get asked how many dogs are on board?

No. Seldom asked. Dogs are always crated when we arrive. If there are limitations, we don't camp there or I ask when I make reservations.
[*]When you are going to places where the dogs are not welcome [shopping, restaurants, shows, museums, national parks, etc] - do you ever board them locally for a day or two so you can take advantage of day trips, extended mini tours, etc or look for a doggy daycare to drop them off for a few hours?

I have never boarded but the occasion might arise. I wouldn't rule out using an insured and reputable pet sitter since I owned that kind of business for 6 years after I retired.
[*]If not - do you have any computer or phone system that will notify you if the temps go up, electricity goes out, or if there are any noise disturbances in the RV? I know they are out there, but not sure what to look for - more info needed.

Yes have auto call with temp alert. Details are on another post.
[*]Are your dogs micro chipped?

Yes
[*]Have you "lost" any of your dogs during travels, and were you able to recover them?

No
[*]For those of you who have longhair breeds that need either seasonal or regular grooming - how do you go about finding a groomer to keep your kids presentable? Or do you do it yourself?

My dogs are minimal shedders. I bathe them myself but have them groomed for show.
[*]If you own a breed that is shedding considerably, how do you deal with this? More brushing and vacuuming or do you see a groomer for de-shedding treatments or getting them shaved short?

I do not shave because the hair is valuable in heat as well as cold. Plus, if you shave an Aussie their nice outer fur will not regenerate.
[*]How do you feed your kids? Kibbles? Home cooked? Raw fed?

Kibbles
[*]If you are home cooking or raw feeding, how do you go about storing your meat? Do you carry an extra freezer for the dogs, so you can take advantage of meat sales?

NA
[*]Where are the dogs when you are enjoying the outside of your camping spot? Running loose? On a long retractable leash? In an exercise pen? Or???

X-pen
[*]In certain locations - how do you protect your kids from local wild life [other than having them glued to your side 24/7]? Snakes, coyotes, stray dogs, bears, etc.???

Always with us and controlled on short leash. We carry bear spray but try to be safe ourselves when we select our environment. I'm not fond of dangerous wildlife either.
[*]What other information should I consider, that could you share to help me during my pre=planning stages and later travel?

Carry shot records. Have collars with ID for the lulus that wouldn't check for a chip. In fact my tags say "check for chip". Use good harnesses or martingale collars that the dogs cannot slip because dogs not used to all the different environments can get spooked, particularly young dogs not yet trained.

We have a walk through pet gate across our MH at the top of the stairs so there is no risk that one will pop out as we come in and out. This is particularly nice as we stop for gas etc where the risk of them getting out into traffic is highest.
Answers in quote text.

Debbie & Paul
2011 Winnebago Via
Louisville KY
Busyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
If you go to temperaturealert.com you can read all about what it does - I have the cellular edition - it only works well if there is a cellular connection. We don't usually go anywhere where there is no signal. Not that adventurous. We stay in state campgrounds and private ones - depends on the time of year. In the summer, I like to have access to a pool - in winter, it doesn't matter.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #13

Busyteach - thank you for your input, I think your scenario is a lot like mine will be. The gate at the entrance door is a very good idea. I use gates at home sometimes, not sure why I didn't think about installing one in the RV .

Doglover - thank you for the link - I wasn't sure that this was just a general name for this type of product or a specific company that makes it. I've been to their website and have done some reading and specs comparisons. I like the fact that you can check your actual temperature at any time via smartphone on the high end plan - not liking the monthly fees that much though, LOL. Which plans do you all use and if you are using one of the basic plans - is it sufficient for your peace of mind?

Old 07-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #14

This was my husband's post about our temp monitoring unit. Others in that thread also had good ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busyteach View Post

Temperature in our motorhome has always been a concern because our dogs travel with us when we attend college football games and we must the leave generator running while we are gone. They sleep in their kennels while we are away so that isn't ever an issue, but the potential loss of power and AC is.

With a lot of research and testing, my husband came up with a viable solution for approx $200.

Components used:

1 Extreme Technologies X link BT Bluetooth Gateway

2 Control Products FA-I-CCA Intermediate "Freeze Alarm"

3 Bluetooth capable cell phone for dial out

The system will dial up to 3 programmed phone numbers in rotation until the alarm is cancelled by one of the phone users.

The system monitors either a programmed high or low temperature plus power failure. Battery backup is also monitored. Both alarms can be set with a delay time if desired.

Programming is done with a telephone handset by responding to voice prompts.

Note: Cell signal or wifi for Google Voice is required

Email me for additional info off board.

Paul & Debbie
2011 Winnebago Via
Kentucky
Busyteach is offline   Reply With Quote