Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
We travel with two dogs, a mini poodle and a GSD. (and a cat - but he doesn't go outside). We purchased dog fence from Amazon - best thing I ever did. I want to sit by the fire at night and relax. My dogs have a fenced in yard at home, so they respect the fence and don't try to get out. We ended up purchasing a total of 4 sets of fencing - each one consists of 8 panels - 31" wide 41" high. We also have 24" high panels we can put so the dogs can't get under the RV. It's quite impressive, and makes the trip so much more enjoyable. If they wake up in the middle of the night to potty we don't have to leash up. I can't tell you how many people have looked at it and said they were ordering it when they got home. Dogs are leash walked (6' leash) every day, a few times for the GSD as he needs it more.
MaureenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2019, 07:41 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaureenB View Post
We travel with two dogs, a mini poodle and a GSD. (and a cat - but he doesn't go outside). We purchased dog fence from Amazon - best thing I ever did. I want to sit by the fire at night and relax. My dogs have a fenced in yard at home, so they respect the fence and don't try to get out. We ended up purchasing a total of 4 sets of fencing - each one consists of 8 panels - 31" wide 41" high. We also have 24" high panels we can put so the dogs can't get under the RV. It's quite impressive, and makes the trip so much more enjoyable. If they wake up in the middle of the night to potty we don't have to leash up. I can't tell you how many people have looked at it and said they were ordering it when they got home. Dogs are leash walked (6' leash) every day, a few times for the GSD as he needs it more.
Do you have pics?
MaxB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:56 PM   #17

What is a GSD??
bradford3454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford3454 View Post
What is a GSD??
German Shepherd Dog
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:30 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
We use a cable run between trees when possible and wrap the cable around a tree when not. 2 small/medium dogs aren't too hard to keep up with but the tangles are aggravating sometimes. They are never left outside unattended for more than a few minutes. I did have to buy an escape proof harness for the younger one as she would squirt out of anything else when at full tilt.
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:01 AM   #20

And then there's this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	traveling with gsds.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	269266  
Old 12-12-2019, 07:23 AM   #21

….like kids and grandkids....mine are great but yours are another question....in both cases, train them early and be consistent with managing their behavior.....traveling with pets is a challenge....those who don't, have little tolerance for those who do....a few bad "parents" spoil it for the rest of us...so pet owners need to make the extra effort to isolate themselves [think barking and poo] from those who aren't....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:47 AM   #22

And nuisance barking is an easy way to get your neighbors pissed off!
sanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:53 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We raised shelties and trained them for years. They were very well behaved and never caused us a problem. They were taught to heel, sometimes I don’t think owners know what that means, and never had to use a leash except where required by the situation. What really gets my goat are those retractable leashes that folks allow the dog to go wherever they want. I’ve observed owners that think their animals are so cute that everyone would want to pet them and allow them to invade your space. I find that behavior totally disrespectful and I don’t blame the animal for bothering me but the owner!
Old 12-13-2019, 06:45 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Fence photos

I'm trying to figure out how to attach - IF i do it correctly - the one with Joe (GSD) is when we first got the fence, I wanted to be sure he would be good so I had him on line just in case. This photo shows the smaller fence and the larger one. I overlap them sometimes or bungee them together. Click image for larger version

Name:	fence.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	458.1 KB
ID:	269335
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Joe fence.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	269336  
MaureenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:08 AM   #25

Our two Bassett hounds .are 8. One is pretty
Docile the other can be a handful. We usually hitch them to the picnic table.
Big concern is their barking at other folks
Walking past in the CG. We have found
An item called a gentle lead . Which goes
Around their nose. Your dog has to have a muzzle
Not sure they would work on a pug. It's designed for dogs that pull hard when on a lead.and works well for this.. but it also stops them from barking....They hate it.. after a bit
Of a training with this lead. All we have to
do is show it to them and they quiet down.
They look like this..
https://www.chewy.com/petsafe-gentle...-dog/dp/148619
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:36 AM   #26

Our 6.5# Maltese is a perfect companion and wonderful traveler that quite literally poops and pees on command. She is never left unattended outside and connected to a reel-leash. We live in our RVs for 7 months of the year and I have never yet been to or seen an RV Park where leashes were not required. She is allowed only 1 warning bark if another dog or someone approaches.
I trust my dog, it’s the ither dogs and owners I don’t trust...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CB6FA1C2-DE65-49FC-8EEE-FAA95E48495F.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	269347  
Old 12-14-2019, 05:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
She is allowed only 1 warning bark if another dog or someone approaches.
What happens if she barks a 2nd time?
Old 12-14-2019, 06:11 AM   #28

For too many dog owners, the answer is "Control? What's that?"

Barking dogs, dogs with aggression issues, dogs on 20 foot reel leashes, dogs on no leash, dog crap left in public areas as well as campsites, people who allow ten year old kids to walk their barely controllable 100 lb dog... campgrounds are full of dogs that should have been left at a boarding kennel.

My experience is that most of the offenders are not FT or long term travelers, whose dogs are used to travel, but the weekend warriors. Their dog sees the campground three or four weekends a summer, and doesn't know how to act.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, dog