Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #71

Thor Owners Club
Our pets are really part of our lives and it is so hard to say good bye to them when they go. We have enjoyed your posts and photo's
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #72

If Something Happened To Your Pet.....Would You Get Another?

No...

I’m now 53 and we have 5 cats. Two are 2 indoor cats and 3 are outdoor cats.
They are the first and only pets I have had since I moved away from my parents.

I am not good dealing with loss... I hate it!!
I also like my freedom and having pets are like having children = a big responsibility.
Unless you are my brother – who gets our mom to take care of the pets he buys. LOL

Picture #1 - Indoor cats Faith and Diego
Picture #2 - Outdoor cats Lucy (mom) and her little ones - Olive and BoBo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Faith and Diego Kissin.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	53424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucy (mom) - Olive and BoBo.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	53425  

UV Owners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #73

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
There is no getting around the unconditional love pets show for us... No polotics, petty stuff,,, just love....
This is a wonderful quote Monkey. And it is something I, in a roundabout way, have a very strong agreement with. Many people, including the OP, consider it 'replacement'. Maybe it is in some respects, maybe not. I believe every little soul is unique as we people are and there are never any replacements for lost ones, but I have felt maybe I adopted to cover up the loss, or to 'replace' the pain, in the past, but I'm not going to apologize for it. Not now, not ever.

I've been chastised about my continuing to adopt or care for additional pups when I lose one.

One of the weakest, most gutless quotes was "well you just lost one, why do you want to go through that again" is from a dear lifelong friend.

To me, it is not about the person or the human being, its about the pup.

I have seen dear, lifelong friends, animal lovers, refuse to consider opening their love and home for another soul that so desperately needs love, a home, and care and stability.

I view it as selfishness. I know that sounds bad, but in reality, that's what I consider it. I also get angry when one asks "Well how old is (s)he?" immediately upon hearing news of his or her condition. I get cranky because to me, its like saying, well, since he or she is old, its not so bad. Well, it doesn't matter how old they are to me, its still a tragic and heartfelt loss, yes somewhat moderated by their long life, but still, its irritating, don't know why, just me and my emotional self.

So as I see it, the answer to the question above I respond is, "It's not about me, my loss, my heartache, my chasm of pain, it's about them, NOT ME".

In that light, I have adopted several middle aged pups that have a harder time finding new forever homes because people don't want a dog for just a few years then lose them. I understand the love of a puppy and the life one expects, nothing against that, its just that these older pups need love and homes too.

Well, My Spencer, I've had for 6.5 years (7 in Oct of 2014 they said he was 7 years old in October of 2007 so he's between 14 & 16 years of age) and we are now battling renal failure. I just found out from bloodwork last weekend.

So, I'll go through another battle of trying to keep him comfortable, happy, and as healthy as I can until there is no more that can be done for him. He's had a wonderful, stable, loving home for these past years and I wouldn't trade one day, one moment or one funny memory of his for the feeling of "I don't want to get hurt again."

I'm attaching some great pictures of my little boy. I hope we have another year or two together, but being that he's between 14 and 16 years old, who knows..... And when he does travel to the rainbow bridge, I'm gonna be just as upset, just as sad, just as ballbaby and just as hurt as I've been with each of my other kids I've lost, but I'm sure not gonna close off my heart, my life, and my home to another soul just to save myself from tears and heartache. Again, it's about the pups, not the people....

Here's my little boy Spencer pictures. As I said he's between 14-16 now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20130525_083806_316.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	53426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130615_105907_171.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	53427  

Name:	2012-11-25_13-22-39_217.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	53428   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-31_13-09-22_369.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	53429  

Old 01-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #74

Very cute dog.
Krashqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #75

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Krash. I didn't mean to rant so much on that prior post. I shouldn't be so verbose.

I apologize if it offended anyone, that was not my intent.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #76

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, here are three of our seven cats.
And yes, we would probably get another just like we did a month or so ago. Son and DIL have the mother of one of ours (Will) that died during surgery, they also had one female that looks a lot like Will and was scared to death of the noise and kids at there house so we brought her over here. The bottom picture is Will
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SDC10595.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	594.4 KB
ID:	53439   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10297.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	53440  

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blag View Post
My 17 year old golden retriever died on April 13 2010 and even though my wife says I should go get another, I won't. Even though I miss his company terribly, especially when out in the yard doing chores, I can't bring myself to even think about buying another dog. It's kinda weird, as I'm not usually stubborn about things...
Why not consider contacting a Golden Ret' rescue group and adopting one in desperate need of a home. We know a man who got two from a rescue. He wouldn't think of camping without them.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:31 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The bottom picture is Will
What was he having surgery for? It's rare these days for animals to die during surgery. I'm so sorry you lost him. He was a handsome cat.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, I will. I lost my 17 year old cat Ralphie over the summer and I will definitely get another pet, probably a dog this time. I am waiting until I get the transition to fulltiming completed, then I will start looking at dogs in shelters.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #80
IC2

Will we have another when (IF?) Callie passes on? Absolutely and as a matter of fact are contemplating a half sister for her in the next year or so, just so there wont be any gap. I grew up and had cats (as many as 11 at one time) then went cold turkey when my ex and I split up. She took several, the kids several each. Time passes, a new lady has come into my life (20 plus years that is) and she introduced me three years ago to mini poodles. What fun Callie has been. We just took a 4000 mile road trip in the family car. She was absolutely great, often sitting on my wife's lap for hours, enjoying the view. The last two summers, we took extended trips in the 5er - nary a bit of problem. Will I willingly forgo a companion and friend like Callie? No. This is from New Brunswick last fall:

IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #81

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
What was he having surgery for? It's rare these days for animals to die during surgery. I'm so sorry you lost him. He was a handsome cat.
Urinary blockage (second time his bladder had been blocked) and we decided that the surgery would be best.
Now we have Peaches, somewhat of a relative as she's from the same mother. Not near as good looking but much the same habits right down to flopping over when you approach.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #82

Fingers (GF's male Min-Pin) went to the Rainbow Bridge Friday, 1/17/2014.

His name was Fingers, for his thin finger-like legs. Fingers was passed while getting his teeth cleaned. It's hard to type through the tears. Sadie, Sadie, my female Min-Pin knew something was wrong and licked my tears. He had diabetes, and was almost blind. He had cataract surgery on one eye.

The vet said the anesthesia was a shock to his system. GF was there with him and the vet massaged his heart for over 30 minutes. We're both devastated and so is her daughter. He was my buddy. He loved it when I said ah-doo-doo-doo and would start lovin' on me. He also barked at cameras.

It helps that she lives in Sierra Vista and I'm in Phx, She recommends brushing a dogs teeth every day, so something like this won't happen when a dog gets on in age.

Mike

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:06 PM   #83

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^^ ah geeze Mike - sorry to hear that.
Steve
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Fingers (GF's male Min-Pin) went to the Rainbow Bridge Friday, 1/17/2014. His name was Fingers, for his thin finger-like legs. Fingers was passed while getting his teeth cleaned. It's hard to type through the tears. Sadie, Sadie, my female Min-Pin knew something was wrong and licked my tears. He had diabetes, and was almost blind. He had cataract surgery on one eye. The vet said the anesthesia was a shock to his system. GF was there with him and the vet massaged his heart for over 30 minutes. We're both devastated and so is her daughter. He was my buddy. He loved it when I said ah-doo-doo-doo and would start lovin' on me. He also barked at cameras. It helps that she lives in Sierra Vista and I'm in Phx, She recommends brushing a dogs teeth every day, so something like this won't happen when a dog gets on in age. Mike
Sorry to here of your loss. Can't imagine you feelings. I hope the memories of his personality will bring a smile to your face in the days ahead.
Myssdragn is offline   Reply With Quote