Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2014, 08:56 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ingratiating Cats?

Ok, our dogs LOVE the rv, and we've always left our 3 cats at home with a neighbor watching them, but we have been considering traveling much more and I am nervous to try to get my cats used to the bus.

They've only been indoor cats, one is 13, one is 12 and the other is 5. The 5 year old im not worried about a bit, but the other two... and also considering the oldest is a "door darter".

How did you go about getting your cats used to the traveling.. and the small small living space? They are used to 3000 sf.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In years past, our old cats didn't take well to traveling.
Tinker started at 8 weeks, and has been a Winter Texan for 8 years. She loves to ride on my 4 wheeler and in the golf cart. Good luck with your cats, it may take a while, but they can adjust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tink.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	56989  
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
To get the cat used to the RV and moving and the noise I made a tent on the couch with his blanket for him and put him in as Thom started up the RV. Since it was dark and with his blanket he stayed in there but could see out the front and see us. It took a week or so with us traveling quite a few hours every day for him to get comfortable. He finally was so comfortable that he no longer needed his tent and would get right up on the dash when Thom would start the RV and that's where he would mostly stay, usually sleeping or watching the scenery go by.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
First get them comfortable in the MH, take 2-3 days and sort of driveway camp before taking off on the road with them. This way they will find "Their Spots" inside the MH that they lay claim to, become familiar with the inside etc.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:22 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
plasma800
as d lindy says, put them in the rv several times to explore it while at home. put a litter box on the shower floor and let them get used to it. we kept the bathroom door open about 6" with a short piece of bent coat hanger wire attached with 2 eyebolts.
then just start the motor and see what they do. then drive it short distances. see what they do.
my 2 14 year old cats found 2 safe places for them to travel, behind the couch and behind the bed. sometimes both in the same place. they would not come out until we stopped for 30 minutes or so. they both passed away last year at 18+ years old.
the dash is not a good place. on the floor by the drivers feet is even worse. if they do not find a safe place to travel, you may need to put them in a travel kennel and secure it to the floor.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:13 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am so nervous about the bedroom slide. When the slide it out, there is ample access to get into the base of the slide, which might be hard to get them out.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I am so nervous about the bedroom slide. When the slide it out, there is ample access to get into the base of the slide, which might be hard to get them out.
Yes, MH's are not well designed for cats with all the openings. We stuff most with various sizes of rubber pipe insulation cut to length. It is a pain putting them in and taking them out again to move the slides, but it is the best solution we have found.
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #8

We traveled with our two cats for years. It takes a little time but they will adjust. Started out with short trips and worked up. Our male was the most difficult and our vet told us to give him Baby Benadryl to calm him down. It worked great and once he got used to traveling he would sit on the dashboard and watch the traffic go by. Our female would get in the space next to the bed and stay there until we stopped and then she would come out and sit on the back of the sofa to check things out.
The main area you want to be careful about is the slides. We put pieces of foam rubber in the openings to keep them from going under. A little bit of trouble but well worth the effort.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #9

Our 3 are now 8.5yo. They have traveled for almost 5 years now. They are all fine when we are set up. As for the travel time, Katrina absolutely loves it, sits in my lap & watches the scenery. Missi tolerates the ride and then Pas is very vocal for a while but eventually settles down.
When we got our first rig, we started out by just taking them out to the rv for a visit, then a quick trip near home & finally out on the road to Alaska!
We have a large kennel that all 3 fit in. DH has fixed it so it is strapped in with the seatbelt on the couch. We start out with all 3 in the kennel - that way we are sure where they are. Once we're out on the road I do open the kennel door & they have free reign. Pas typically stays in but once the rig is stopped, he is out & wants his food.
When we were looking for our new rig, cat hiding places were a great concern to us. And when slides are moving in or out, the cats are in the kennel. Our previous rig, they could get in a space behind the bed. Of course, kitties know what their humans are up to & at least one would go in to the space. Shaking the treat jar or shining their laser light toy back to the hider has gotten them out.
We have friends who started traveling with their kitties when one was about 10. They started out at a local park (they couldn't park their rig at home) & let the kitties get used to the small home before the traveling began.
The other item to consider with kitties is escaping or as you said, a "door darter". All 3 of ours are chipped. We do not keep collars or harnesses on them. Katrina is the only one who has a real interest in getting out the door. Thankfully, she goes under the rv but she's just out of arm's reach rolling around in whatever yuck is there. We have learned one of the humans grabs the broom & pushes at her with the broom to the other human. We now keep a spray water bottle on the steps when we are going in & out a lot. The bottle stays on the steps just inside so it's handy whenever we need to give a little reminder.

It might take a bit but take along your whole furry family!
3catstravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Interesting idea! So you would install the foam when you put the slide out, and remove it before putting the slide back in?
Old 02-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catstravel View Post
Our 3 are now 8.5yo. They have traveled for almost 5 years now. They are all fine when we are set up. As for the travel time, Katrina absolutely loves it, sits in my lap & watches the scenery. Missi tolerates the ride and then Pas is very vocal for a while but eventually settles down.
When we got our first rig, we started out by just taking them out to the rv for a visit, then a quick trip near home & finally out on the road to Alaska!
We have a large kennel that all 3 fit in. DH has fixed it so it is strapped in with the seatbelt on the couch. We start out with all 3 in the kennel - that way we are sure where they are. Once we're out on the road I do open the kennel door & they have free reign. Pas typically stays in but once the rig is stopped, he is out & wants his food.
When we were looking for our new rig, cat hiding places were a great concern to us. And when slides are moving in or out, the cats are in the kennel. Our previous rig, they could get in a space behind the bed. Of course, kitties know what their humans are up to & at least one would go in to the space. Shaking the treat jar or shining their laser light toy back to the hider has gotten them out.
We have friends who started traveling with their kitties when one was about 10. They started out at a local park (they couldn't park their rig at home) & let the kitties get used to the small home before the traveling began.
The other item to consider with kitties is escaping or as you said, a "door darter". All 3 of ours are chipped. We do not keep collars or harnesses on them. Katrina is the only one who has a real interest in getting out the door. Thankfully, she goes under the rv but she's just out of arm's reach rolling around in whatever yuck is there. We have learned one of the humans grabs the broom & pushes at her with the broom to the other human. We now keep a spray water bottle on the steps when we are going in & out a lot. The bottle stays on the steps just inside so it's handy whenever we need to give a little reminder.

It might take a bit but take along your whole furry family!

LOL!!! The things we go through for our pets huh?
Old 02-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Interesting idea! So you would install the foam when you put the slide out, and remove it before putting the slide back in?
That is pretty much the gist of it... I have read of kitties getting squished in the slide... and the heart break it brings, I personally don't travel with my cats... I have one that can't make a 10 mile ride to the vets without stress defecating...so it's not worth the hassle.If I were nearly full time as you have been of late Plasma, I would consider taking the cats but putting them in a kitty condo type enclosure with the litter pan available and a den type place to hide in until they get used to the movement. However, keep in mind, you would have now 6-7 beings in one small MOHO and the smells lingering associated with each, and the getting along friction, etc. It is a lot of bodies, albeit some are smaller than others, but their personal space usually isn't that small....
Old 02-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #13

My best friend is a trucker and he has a cat that travels with him. Changed trucks for different companies and cat still sleeps on the new dash board no problem! Just be careful with door dashers! Crate them before opening doors at quick stops and they can't get out.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have two cats.. I think Cats fit the RV life way better than big dogs. Now the cats were really upset every time we carried them from house to RV and back.. But once in the RV, they were happy (Class A) the only thing is when I am rolling they did not like to go in the cat-house I built for 'em (A fairly large crate like five or six feet by 4 feet 4 foot high with food, water, litter box and things to climb and play on) they liked to get under the bed on the bedroom slide where they could not get out once the slide was extended. (I finally fixed that so they can not get in an out no matter the position of the slide, cut them a cat door).

They were quite happy through easter last year, The Female continued to be happy but the male (Both "Fixed") was my wife's cat and well.. He gave me no end of "I want nothing to do with you" from the time she died (Easter) till about November when had to take him to the dentist-vet.. After a few days of feeding him antibotics, and covering up all his hidey holes.. he suddenly decided to let me pet him.

Now.. I fully expect him on the bed within 2 minutes of my head hitting the pillow.

Tags
cat

« Dead Pets | Passed »