Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2018, 08:55 PM   #15

Dr D gives a new meaning to the rv sleeps 7+ …..

Mine was a 8 months old when introduced to the rv. At first I took him in the rv a hour or two a night to get acquainted at the house (with food/water & litter) for several nights. The food/water/litter setups are just for the rv and not the ones I use in the S&B. The first over night was on a trip. He did very well once we get there. He has been on 6+ trips and loves the camping. If I could get him to bring me beer from the cooler, he would be earning his keep …

He is not comfortable with the engine or the drive. Does not complain and mostly rides under the passenger seat while driving. As soon as we stop he comes out.

I got him acquainted to the leash at home. He is an indoor cat, but take him outside when I can on the leash and harness. He typically has 20' of leash to roam with. He has no issues with the leash and harness at all now when camping. He knows when the harness goes on he gets to go outside.

Use a harness and not just a collar as it is safer for them if something happens. I use a collar type leash versus the one Mr D uses but I hear the style he uses helps the cat feel more secure. Mine likes to climb on and around everything. The last trip he got caught up while leashed to the picnic table, he jumped off the top while the leash was wrapped around the legs of the table. He did not have enough leash to reach the ground. The harness held him from the waist and not the neck.

It may take a few trips and work before the cat becomes more acquainted as yours is older. Cats love to be with their caregivers. I have to put out an extra chair at camp for him so he can chill with me just like chair he has at the S&B …..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0622.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	217289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0621.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	217291  

Name:	IMG_0620.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	454.1 KB
ID:	217292  
Balibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2018, 06:15 AM   #16
tcg

We have five cats and don't travel with all of them.

We started taking the 16 year old because she needs insulin shots twice a day. She seems to welcome the break from the other cats. A recent 5 hour drive really exhausted her but she did okay.

This year we tried to add another one of our cats to the ride. We tried our 14 year old all white and totally deaf nut job.

He cried the entire time we were gone. It's amazing how vocal he is considering he's deaf.

But... here's what I learned with him.

We got to the site and I did what I normally do, back into the site and then get out and check position. I left the door open like I always do.

Got back in, finished up, and then hooked it all up. Forgot about the cats.

All of a sudden it hit me what I did and could not find crazy deaf cat in a 28' Class C.

Realized he probablly got out and started searching. We were in an open area and could not imagine him getting far. Lots of dogs around and not one of them getting excited. I asked our neighbors and next thing I know most of the park, especially the kids are all out looking.

I still couldn't believe he would have gone far so I started searching the interior, sure enough I found him inside. He got stuck between the wall and the couch but you couldn't see him just by looking under things and Mr. vocal decided to keep quiet at that moment.

That weekend we also discovered the bathroom vanity has a gap on the side that leads to behind the kitchen cabinets by way of under the stove.

Point is pay attention and remember you have new passengers and as someone else said be aware of all the nooks and crannies where a curious or scared cat can hide or get stuck.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:35 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For their safety our kitties ride in large pet carriers during travel. The cases sit on the couch with a long bungee cord to secure in place. The cases store in the shower on top of their covered litter box - all easy to set aside when we use the shower.

With slides out a common problem area is access to the slide mechanism under the bed. We block the holes there with pillows.

We have trained to stay away from the entry door when we are coming in/out. In the case of an escape they are chipped, have collars with our phone numbers, and have bluetooth locator tags on their collars.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:02 AM   #18

My old Tom cat is great, he thinks he’s a dog , it don’t matter to him if at home or in the bus. He sleeps on the bed, or by the door looking out the window., outside he follows us , if things look dangerous outside he stays in. He’s 17, and had no problem getting use of traveling
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:15 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Both of our boys head under the passenger seat as soon as the coach is started. Neither of them likes it when the house moves. Once we stop, they come out and all is good.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:07 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our cat loves riding in the Unit. She is placed in a Cat carrier when driving but otherwise she is free to roam. We have to keep an eye out for her when we prepare to leave as she does like to hide under the bed. Very hard to coax her out.
Attached Files
travelinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:20 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Our 11 year old tabby has been riding with us since he was 4 weeks old Usually rides in wife's lap or on the LaZBoy recliner.

The 10 year old Siamese runs for the bed as soon as we get in the MH and spends the whole travel time under the bedspread. She comes out when we stop for the day and stays out until she hears me start to disconnect water, then back under bedspread.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:09 AM   #22

Thanks for all the tips!

We've spent some time getting her used to her new "kitty condo" here at the house so she'd feel safe and comfortable in it.

This past weekend we did some driveway camping to introduce her to the coach. This upcoming weekend we plan to load her "kitty condo" in the coach, close everything up, and ride down to the next town over and back. Just to introduce her to riding.
She did really well this past weekend. A little unsure but with time I think she'll do just fine. She's not getting much choice. LOL

I do plan to get her chipped before her first real trip.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:53 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondiega1 View Post
She's not getting much choice.
That sounds like the best course of action.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:29 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All is good with the boys until the house starts moving.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1807a.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	461.2 KB
ID:	217845  
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:41 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
My wife and I travel with 3 cats and a cocker spaniel. One cat 13 years old, other two right at 2 years old. When we were looking at RVs, one of our criteria was safety for the pets. IE no open places they could get into that would be dangerous. We looked at a number of RVs that had large openings when the slides were either in or out that looked problematic to us. Our Tiffin does not. But we are STILL careful when extending/retracting since it is remotely possible a pet could stick a paw in a place that could be a problem. SO we go through the "find everybody before we move a slide" for safety. Our Tiffin has two "holes" up under the bed. The holes are carpeted, and do not give access to anywhere that is dangerous. Sometimes one or more of the cats will go into one of these holes, or the hole under the dinette table which is also carpeted. After the first couple of trips, they now roam around (unless the road is rough) and we even bought a carpet-like dash cover for them. They particularly like it when parked, but also occasionally when moving.

It can be a bit of a pain, to be sure, but we much enjoy taking them along rather than being concerned about how they are doing at home, etc. About the only complaint I have is that the bed gets REAL crowded with the 3 cats (dog sleeps in the front with son that usually goes with us). And with the two windows on each side of the bed, that seems to be their spots, which just happens to be the head of the bed. Our cats are 100% inside cats (two came from furkids in Atlanta and the adoption agreement required this although it was our plan all along). They seem to enjoy traveling, and with all the storage compartments and cabinets everywhere, they never get tired of exploring.

Tags
cat