Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Keeping Critters / Bugs Off Pets in CG

What do you use to keep the Ticks & Flee's off of your Pets in a CG?

We fog our site upon arrival. Use a Flee & Tick Shampoo and Over the counter Think it was Hartz but I hear Frontline is good.

Couple times we have had Ticks come in RV but think it was from our clothing and when we were on hikes in trails.

We are not fans of Chemical use but some is necessary to keep pests under control.

We heard of some home remedy things like Listerine in a Spray bottle
Garlic, Black Pepper around camp site, Dryer sheets clipped to dog collar for pet, There were several other tips I do not remember right now.

What do you all use?
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We use Frontline and Heartguard. We also make sure our vet knows where we will be traveling and the dogs get any additional shots they need based on our travel plans. That's not common but it has happened a couple of times.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #3

Monthly flea and tick control. Advantex kills both plus the eggs
Old 05-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe in science. I use K9 Advantix on my dog.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We had a dog in Florida some years ago. That dog was a tick magnet. No matter what we used he still got them. Had him dipped once a week for while to try that too. Nothing worked. The only thing that did was to lay him down and go over him once a week and use a cotton ball dipped in shine on each tick and then pick it off. We tried every tick control thing out there and the only thing that took care of them was dabbing them with the shine and using tweezers to take them off.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Tick Repellent - Found this...

Ticks can be troublesome outdoor pests, as they feed off the blood of mammals, and can carry and transfer bacteria and disease such as Lyme disease. Some retail products are designed to repel ticks, but these are many times high-priced items and no more effective than a simple homemade solution.

Repellent for Pets

For pets, add 1 cup of water to a spray bottle, followed by 2 cups of distilled white vinegar. Ticks hate the smell and taste of vinegar, and will be easily be repelled by this ingredient alone. Then, add two spoonfuls of vegetable or almond oil, which both contain sulfur (another natural tick repellent). To make a repellent that will also deter fleas, mix in a few spoonfuls of lemon juice, citrus oil, or peppermint oil, which will all repel ticks and fleas while also creating a scented repellent. Spray onto the pet's dry coat, staying away from sensitive areas including eyes, nose, mouth, and genitals. When outdoors for an extended period, spray this solution on two to three times per day when outdoors.
A simple homemade repellent can be made with a few inexpensive household ingredients. In a spray bottle, mix 2 cups of distilled white vinegar and 1 cup of water. To make a scented solution so you do not smell like bitter vinegar all day, add 20 drops of your favorite essential oil or bath oil. Eucalyptus oil is a calm, soothing scent that also works as a tick repellent, while peppermint and citrus oils give off a strong crisp scent that also repel ticks. After mixing the solution, spray onto clothing, skin, and hair before going outdoors. Reapply every four hours.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quick note about that recipe - cats are often allergic to peppermint oil - sometimes deadly allergic - don't add peppermint ol to the mix if you plan to use it on cats as well as dogs.

Also, use garlic VERY SPARINGLY around cats. It acts as a blood thinner and can cause anemia in cats.

Stuff safe for dogs is often not safe for cats.

I used to use over the counter stuff, until my 16 year old Cocker Spaniel died from heartworm and lyme disease - two horrible illnesses and he had them both.

Here in Maine ticks are a huge problem, every time we go out side I'll come back in and find 4 or 5 ticks on me. Once, we were outside for only about 20 minutes and came back in, and found more than 40 ticks on the dog! She must have stuck her head right into a nest or something. We also used to get massive flea infestations that we had a really hard time getting under control.

Since than we use three things:

If they already have fleas start with CapStar pills, one pill per week for about a month of so, to get rid of current fleas; afterwards give one pill every 3 months

Than Frontline neck drops once a month to prevent re-infestation (also keeps away ticks, mites, lice, and bedbugs)

Heartguard chew-treats once per month to prevent heartworm

Since switching to this, we have had zero fleas (going on 3 years flea free now! OMG!) and though I still get ticks on my, my dog never has ticks on her.

For use on myself, I found a product at WalMart that works great. Spray it on my legs and no more ticks. On days I forget to spray, if I get ticks, ones that are biting me and I can't pull off, I just spray it on them, wait a few seconds and they fall off dead. The reason I like this stuff is it's an essential oil, not a chemical. It's "Repel Plant Based Lemon Eucalyptus". Says it's for mosquitoes but it works for ticks.
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Was that drinking "Shine" or something else?
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Frontline and Citronella for bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
What do you use to keep the Ticks & Flee's off of your Pets in a CG?

We fog our site upon arrival. Use a Flee & Tick Shampoo and Over the counter Think it was Hartz but I hear Frontline is good.

Couple times we have had Ticks come in RV but think it was from our clothing and when we were on hikes in trails.

We are not fans of Chemical use but some is necessary to keep pests under control.

We heard of some home remedy things like Listerine in a Spray bottle
Garlic, Black Pepper around camp site, Dryer sheets clipped to dog collar for pet, There were several other tips I do not remember right now.

What do you all use?
First, for ticks, all the puppies have Frontline topical and it seems to work. Next, my local handmade soap company made a citronella wax for horses. I have used it in rain forests all over the Caribbean and it keeps everything off of us. I put a little on the dogs and it has kept bugs (mosquitos, no see ums, horse flys) off them Last - everyone including the pups should eat garlic - that keeps everything away (maybe even the family in such a small space)
wicksnikmike is offline   Reply With Quote