Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > RV'ing with Pets
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #1

Keeping pets cool

DH and I are planning to go full-time sometime next year. We have 2 cats who will be traveling with us. I am concerned about being away from the RV, leaving the cats 'home' alone. What if it's hot out and the a/c goes? What if the campground loses power? I don't know how I would handle it to come home and find 2 dead cats. "Badly" would be an understatement. What do you all do to safeguard against this? Am I worrying excessively? I would appreciate some feedback on this.

Valerie
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2015, 04:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unless you have an auto start generator, you will just have to roll the dice. Your other choice is to take them with you when you leave the MH.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:57 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
My biggest fear is the power going out in the summer while we are away with pets inside.

We just try to use the best common sense we can.

Shade? Outside temp? Temp inside and outside when departing? Length of time gone?

There are new ways today of installing a thermometer to a wifi device left behind and being able to check it from your smart phone, but even for me, this is in nerd space above my head.

This is a normal concern that others have too. So don't feel bad about thinking about it....
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:59 PM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
You can install a temperature controlled exhaust fan to replace one of your existing fans, and it will run off the coach batteries, and turn itself on if it gets too hot in the coach.
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:05 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
You can install a temperature controlled exhaust fan to replace one of your existing fans, and it will run off the coach batteries, and turn itself on if it gets too hot in the coach.
Great point, the new fantastic fans have a temp knob on them, and if you are parked in shade, do a great job if two open at the same time.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:06 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_vfox View Post
auto start generator.
Been there, done that. Get it WIRED, forget the wireless version and still... good luck...
Old 06-27-2015, 08:10 PM   #7

If your coach does not already have an Automatic Generator Start these can be added to most generator. Typically they can be programmed to start the generator if the batteries get low, as in boondocking, or for when there is no shore power and the thermostat calls for air conditioner Or it may have a temp probe that will start the generator if the temp exceeds a certain set point.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:52 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
If your coach does not already have an Automatic Generator Start these can be added to most generator. Typically they can be programmed to start the generator if the batteries get low, as in boondocking, or for when there is no shore power and the thermostat calls for air conditioner Or it may have a temp probe that will start the generator if the temp exceeds a certain set point.
I'll repeat, don't let anyone talk you into a wireless remote genset start. Make them run the wire to the genset.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:05 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I'll repeat, don't let anyone talk you into a wireless remote genset start. Make them run the wire to the genset.
Why not? We halfheartedly looked into an auto start for our Onan and can install either wired or wireless ourselves but the wireless looked like a cool option.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:26 AM   #10

We have the fantastic fans with the temperature controls, so that seems like the best solution for now. We would seldom if ever be gone all day, maybe 4-5 hours at the most. I thank all of you for your comments. I feel better now, and I'm happy I can check one more thing off my full-time prep list. Yay!!
Old 06-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Now, you know me and I can be as picky/anal as they come but there is nothing wrong with a good wireless system. I had one but went wired for reasons other than performance.

The Onan EC-30W is a good unit for basic auto start based on temps, battery level and programability for quite time and some other features. It is pretty much plug and play with the hardest part finding a good connection to the batteries to do the monitoring. That is pretty easy to solve by using the B+ terminal on the back of the generator. The other thing is to make sure the remote read out is plugged into a NON-inverted plug to know if shore power is working.

Biggest problem...expensive compared to a wired unit.

HOWEVER...I do agree that a fully integrated, wired AGS and BMK are the best way to go but to upgrade the costs for the upgraded remote control, AGS and BMK modules will come close to, or exceed the wireless model.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:02 PM   #12

I constructed a screened in "porch" for our two cats, so they can go outside when it gets hot. It turns out, that that is where they spend most of their time, even when it isn't hot.

The whole porch hangs on a window, and is supported on the outside by two adjustable paint roller poles. When we are traveling, it sits on a platform that is attached to the back bumper. The brown brackets on the sides bolt to the platform.

If I were to do it again, I would make the roof with a slope. As it is now, I often get a shower when taking it down.

Joel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	98694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	98695  

J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjkahler View Post
DH and I are planning to go full-time sometime next year. We have 2 cats who will be traveling with us. I am concerned about being away from the RV, leaving the cats 'home' alone. What if it's hot out and the a/c goes? What if the campground loses power? I don't know how I would handle it to come home and find 2 dead cats. "Badly" would be an understatement. What do you all do to safeguard against this? Am I worrying excessively? I would appreciate some feedback on this.

Valerie
We take our 4 cats with us in the RV. We never leave them at home or with a cat sitter. When we leave the RV we don't leave the A/C on for the very reason you mentioned. We leave instead the Fantastic-Fan running at one end of the RV and windows at the opposite end of the RV cracked. We also bought several MaxxAir window vents which help as the cats can't claw through the screens and escape. The RV was never hotter inside than it was outside. If fact always a few degrees cooler. Leave plenty of fresh water for them but you know that already.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:30 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Take a look at a Tempalert. I love mine. It gives me peace of mind when I leave my baby behind.
luvmymorgans is offline   Reply With Quote